Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Default Call me nuts: turning in a mill :-)

Nick Müller wrote:
Hi!

You know they sell those books: "Milling in a lathe". Today, I have
written (kinda) "Turning in a mill":

I _had_ to do that flywheel, and I _knew_ it was too big for my -I call
it a- lathe.

Think!

A mill is just a reverse lathe. Or so.

Well, I did this a while ago. I needed to turn ball ends on some
adjusting screws. I didn't have a ball-turning attachement. I didn't
have CNC on the lathe, but I do have a CNC mill. I had already
made an internally-threaded ring for the threads on these, essentially
a collet for a bolt. So, I took the entire QC holder from the lathe
and clamped it in the milling vise. I put the bolt in the threaded
ring, and put that in a collet on the mill. I then wrote up a little
program to generate the toolpath, and compensate for the radius of a
round carbide insert. it made dandy little ball ends!

Jon