Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP*

Default BP Drawbar Shear Pin Question

I couldn't find this info on Google. What is the proper material to use to
replace the pin on a Bridgeport drawbar? I tried a roll pin which was way
too soft and sheared too easily.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Errol Groff

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 20:12:48 -0500, "ATP*"
wrote:

I couldn't find this info on Google. What is the proper material to use to
replace the pin on a Bridgeport drawbar? I tried a roll pin which was way
too soft and sheared too easily.

In eighteen years of teaching high school freshmen and sophomores I
have never had a student break a BP drawbar in that fashion. Perhaps
you are putting WAY too much oomph into your spindle tightening.

Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology
H.H. Ellis Technical High School
613 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society
www.neme-s.org
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP*

wrote:

I couldn't find this info on Google. What is the proper material to use to
replace the pin on a Bridgeport drawbar? I tried a roll pin which was way
too soft and sheared too easily.

In eighteen years of teaching high school freshmen and sophomores I
have never had a student break a BP drawbar in that fashion. Perhaps
you are putting WAY too much oomph into your spindle tightening.

Errol Groff

I don't know, I'm not really putting that much torque on it, especially not
the last time. The hollow roll pin I put in there definitely doesn't take
much to shear.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

wrote:

I couldn't find this info on Google. What is the proper material to use to
replace the pin on a Bridgeport drawbar? I tried a roll pin which was way
too soft and sheared too easily.

In eighteen years of teaching high school freshmen and sophomores I
have never had a student break a BP drawbar in that fashion. Perhaps
you are putting WAY too much oomph into your spindle tightening.

Errol Groff

I don't know, I'm not really putting that much torque on it, especially not
the last time. The hollow roll pin I put in there definitely doesn't take
much to shear.

My guess is that it is NOT a shear pin, ie. designed to break first,
before something else does. It most likely is just the easiest way to
make it. I don't think my drawbar (aftermarket) has a shear pin.
I'd use a taper pin.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

wrote:

[...]

When I made up the 3 drawbars for the Gorton (uses any 30 taper), I
welded the hex on, after shearing the first pin.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Lusardi

That is not a shear pin. It is an assembly pin. I have made many drawbars
and I have tried turning them from solid bar. This usually fails unless the
steel bar has been totally normalized (annealed). Even with a follower rest,
the bar bends as its diameter is reduced. So, it is much cheaper to pin a
Hex on a piece of hotroll bar and thread the other end. Normally a solid
straight pin around .150 is used.
Steve

"ATP*" wrote in message
I couldn't find this info on Google. What is the proper material to use to
replace the pin on a Bridgeport drawbar? I tried a roll pin which was way
too soft and sheared too easily.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP*

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, taper pin and mabe some loctite 609 it is.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave August

FWIW I replaced the pin on my old Mill Drill with a .187 (3/16) piece of
stainless, never had any problems after that.

--.- Dave

"ATP*" wrote in message
I couldn't find this info on Google. What is the proper material to use to
replace the pin on a Bridgeport drawbar? I tried a roll pin which was way
too soft and sheared too easily.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Steve Lusardi :
That is not a shear pin. It is an assembly pin. I have made many drawbars
and I have tried turning them from solid bar. This usually fails unless the
steel bar has been totally normalized (annealed). Even with a follower rest,
the bar bends as its diameter is reduced. So, it is much cheaper to pin a
Hex on a piece of hotroll bar and thread the other end. Normally a solid
straight pin around .150 is used.

Hmm ... you might be interested in the drawbar for my Nichols
horizontal mill's vertical attachment. It consists of two parts:

1) The bar, with two different threads on the two ends -- one to
mach either of the common 40-taper holders threads.

2) A cylindrical piece, about an inch long, with different threads
in each end, and with a pair of opposed flats milled in the
middle.

So -- you swap ends on both pieces, and it serves as a drawbar
for the other style of thread.

You could mill three pairs of flats to give a final hex if you
so desired.

Obviously, if you are talking R8 collets, this is not a problem,
but someone somewhere up-thread mentioned 30-taper collets -- similar
enough to 40-taper so the problem might exist there as well.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

FOOT SHEAR knowone Metalworking 5 December 17th 05 07:29 PM
Metal Shear question: Niagara Greg Metalworking 5 April 20th 05 08:45 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Snowblower and Shear Torque: Pointer to info?? Terry King Metalworking 15 January 19th 04 12:21 AM
Mounting a metal shear Bruce Metalworking 5 October 10th 03 02:51 PM