Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Lusardi

Default BP Drawbar Shear Pin Question

That is not a shear pin. It is an assembly pin. I have made many drawbars
and I have tried turning them from solid bar. This usually fails unless the
steel bar has been totally normalized (annealed). Even with a follower rest,
the bar bends as its diameter is reduced. So, it is much cheaper to pin a
Hex on a piece of hotroll bar and thread the other end. Normally a solid
straight pin around .150 is used.
Steve

"ATP*" wrote in message
I couldn't find this info on Google. What is the proper material to use to
replace the pin on a Bridgeport drawbar? I tried a roll pin which was way
too soft and sheared too easily.