Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

Default BP Drawbar Shear Pin Question

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 00:18:02 -0600, Jon Elson
wrote:

ATP* wrote:
"Errol Groff" wrote in message

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 20:12:48 -0500, "ATP*"
wrote:

I couldn't find this info on Google. What is the proper material to use to
replace the pin on a Bridgeport drawbar? I tried a roll pin which was way
too soft and sheared too easily.

In eighteen years of teaching high school freshmen and sophomores I
have never had a student break a BP drawbar in that fashion. Perhaps
you are putting WAY too much oomph into your spindle tightening.

Errol Groff

I don't know, I'm not really putting that much torque on it, especially not
the last time. The hollow roll pin I put in there definitely doesn't take
much to shear.

My guess is that it is NOT a shear pin, ie. designed to break first,
before something else does. It most likely is just the easiest way to
make it. I don't think my drawbar (aftermarket) has a shear pin.
I'd use a taper pin.

Jon

When I made up the 3 drawbars for the Gorton (uses any 30 taper), I
welded the hex on, after shearing the first pin.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner