Dennis Turk

Default Dalton Lathes

To all Dalton owners and people interested in Dalton equipment. My
name is Dennis Turk and I own seven Dalton lathes, one lot 3 and six
lot 4 machines. The range of age is before 1914 and to after 1925. I
do not use the lathes as they are for restoration and display.

There is a group of Dalton owners that share pictures information and
in some cases replacement parts. There is I believe 13 people in this
group. We are known as just the Dalton Gang.:-) Two of the people
live in England, as it seems Daltons ended up over there also.

There are no multi function machines in the group. The group is
comprised of one lot 2 lathe two lot 3 lathes sixteen lot 4 lathes and
one lot 6. The lot number is just in front of your serial number and
denotes the model. B-4 or B-6.

Not all lathes especially the early ones have model tags on them only
a lot #. We keep a record of all Lot and Serial numbers and this way
we can gestimate the approximate age or year of build for the lathes.

In this group there is also one very original peddle or foot powered
lathe that has the hand lever on the tailstock. Really interesting
machine. Devil to run though.

I would be interested in communicating with anyone that owns a Dalton
lathe for the purpose of tracking serial numbers and helping others
with problems with their lathes. There are a very small number of
replacement parts available. These are used but serviceable.

In some of the postings there was a question as to the age of Dalton
tool works. We know that Herbert Dalton started the company some time
before 1912 and it failed in the stock market crash of 1929. In 1930
Elecrolux purchased the property and built vacuum cleaners there

Thanks and I hope to hear form all Dalton owners.
Junior Member

Location: Northern NJ

I have a dalton lathe that needs professional attention. It is missing a tooth from the back gear and the large gear on the spindle. I do not need that reduction gearing to function. I do need help with the selection of a new chuck. I have quite a few spare parts I don't need for my use. I will only be turning wood and plastic on it via direct drive from the leather belt. I don't see the model or serial # info you are looking for. I may part this out or sell whole if I can't use it for my needs. I can be reached at mm, remove extra m's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Turk
[...]

Junior Member

Location: Northern NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Rannou
I have a dalton lathe that needs professional attention. It is missing a tooth from the back gear and the large gear on the spindle. I do not need that reduction gearing to function. I do need help with the selection of a new chuck. I have quite a few spare parts I don't need for my use. I will only be turning wood and plastic on it via direct drive from the leather belt. I don't see the model or serial # info you are looking for. I may part this out or sell whole if I can't use it for my needs. I can be reached at mm, remove extra m's.
The lathe now belongs to Dennis Turk. Please contact him for info.
Thanks to all who contacted me.
Junior Member

Question

Hi, I have a Dalton Lathe and would be interested if you have any photos of a
lot 4 lathe. I am renovating the lathe and would appreciate finding out if
any parts are missing, and the arrangement options of the cogs etc.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, December 26, 2003 11:31:32 AM UTC-5, Dennis Turk wrote:
[...]

Hi Dennis
Need your email steve from florida a friend of mine Milton Burnett found a dalton lathe you may be interested in. His contact info is
Steve from Florida

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Hello, I just purchased a Dalton lathe, but don't know what model it is. Can I post a photo somewhere? Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 15:14:09 -0800, mplieb1 wrote:
On Friday, December 26, 2003 11:31:32 AM UTC-5, Dennis Turk wrote:
To all Dalton owners and people interested in Dalton equipment.

[snip Dennis Turk 2003 post re Dalton lathe S/N's etc]

Hello, I just purchased a Dalton lathe, but don't know what model
it is. Can I post a photo somewhere? Thanks.

The metalworking dropbox accepts photos emailed to it. See
instructions at http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox.html and see
uploaded files at http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/. If you
upload some pictures, wait and get the dropbox's reply that tells
you the picture URL's before announcing the upload, so you can
include them in future posts..

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

dennisyesterday sunday 2/16/2014
i bought a dalton lot 4 lathe. says lot 4 on end of bed left on the right says #4065. on the gear cover says model b. change gears are held on with pins... the lathe is nice and tight i have it reassembled (h it had to carry it down the steps it is covered with saw dust , it looks cared for and i will clean it off ,oil it and run it later to day..
tony z
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi all,
just purchased a good looking Dalton Six, Lot4 # 2304. Any idea what year it was manufactured?
Thanks.
Vadim
NYC
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I recently obtained a Dalton lathe. It is in realitive excelent condition. I am trying to identify it as to the age and model. It apears to be a 3 1/2" by about 11"to 12" center to center bed. It looks very much like the 1918 B2 from California that I have seen on the web. On the gear change cover it list the type as Type "B" and made in New York. There is no identifing name on the side of the Bed, The both feet have Dalton made in New York cast into them also in the carage front. there is a small name plate on the front side of the gear cover about 2" by 2" with what apears to be paten information on it it is very hard to read cant tell if it has a serial no. As I said before the machine is in excelent condition and apears to be all original. I know where it has bee for the past 20 or so years. It was used by a friend of mine for a few years prior to that. Phil, Vicksburg MS.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

i bought a dalton lot 4 lathe. says lot 4 on end of bed left on the right says #4065. on the gear cover says model b. change gears are held on with pins... the lathe is nice and tight i have it reassembled (h it had to carry it down the steps it is covered with saw dust , it looks cared for and i will clean it off ,oil it and run it later to day..
tony z

I also just obtained a Dalton lathe, lot 4 #4004 built not too long before your #4065 I think. Philip

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a Dalton Six B4, I am looking for documentation, Manual and a picture(s) of a complete original lathe.
I am trying to figure out if it is worth it to restore to an original condition or modify it to a modern power plant condition, using a dirrect dc drive w/ a riding lawn mower transmission.
I have other working lathes.
Any ignorance anyone wishes to cure please act.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

So is this group inactive?? There appear to be no replies from anyone in the group to new members? I have a dalton lot 5 and am looking for some tooling.

Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
So is this group inactive?? There appear to be no replies from
anyone in the group to new members? I have a dalton lot 5 and am
looking for some tooling.

Thanks

Which "this" group, r.c.m. or the Yahoo one? Several of us in r.c.m.
pointed to the Yahoo group and lathes.co.uk.

My Usenet server has been responding slowly and erratically.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hello Dennis, today I bought a lathe that I believe you looked at. It was in the corner at the cabin Fever Expo. I understand you looked it over. I intend to clean it up and display it. What can you tell me? Thanks Peter.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, December 26, 2003 at 10:31:32 AM UTC-6, Dennis Turk wrote:
[...]

Hello,
I have a dalton Lot 4 Type"B" #4336 Lathe and I am trying to get some information on it. please respond. Missing auto feed gear i believe.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi all. Mark here in the UK. I recently bought a Dalton Lot 4 # 747 (cool #!). Does anyone know where to get further information on the lathe. I'd love to be able to use it to make the missing items from the changeover gear set. It's my first lathe. Am I aiming too high? Kind regards...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, December 26, 2003 at 8:31:31 AM UTC-8, Dennis Turk wrote:
[...]

Dennis are you still monitoring this post? I just picked a B4 #2383 that is very dirty but looks functional with exception to motor and associated drive bits. I'm looking for guidance in that area.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have had a lathe I found in a scrap yard in Seymour Texas for about 12 years.
It has a broken base and was in need of tepair. I disassembled it and took inventory of what it needed. Cleaned all the parts and put it in the attic.
I just pulled it down to go over again and was trying to find another base.
It appears to be one of the most rare models of the Dalton line.
It is a Lot-2-No 19.
I was planning on using it to neck turn rifle brass. I am using my Summit lathe for this and was hoping to find a more size appropriate lathe for it.
It's a neat looking little unit.
Just seems to be very very rare and it looks like I should approach with caution.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a Dalton Lot 6 s/n 131. I am starting to it get operational again after a couple decades of storage.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have lot 4 number 2087 in great condition.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hello. I just found your post. As of tomorrow I will be taking possession of a Dalton T-L with a 1924 date and a whole bunch of extras including live and dead centers, 3 and 4 jaw chuck, some change gears and in need of re-assembly (its in pieces), a new drive belt, and about a month or two of elbow grease to remove rust and re-paint. I am a Machinist virgin having only played so far with a Grizzly micro-lathe which has gotten me hooked (I have found so far anyone who owns a lathe seems to have 2 or 3 or 4 or... I know... its a disease) I ordered what literature was available from that UK fellow so we will see if sales brochures are enough info to rebuild this beast. I may be back to ask some (I am sure really really dumb) questions.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Dennis Turk, jordie field wrote:
hello: I just picked up a Dalton 4 lathe that is complete. Most interesting
is a very small rectangular thread counter. Was wondering if anyone has
sienna like it? I have tried to email Mr. Turk recently and his mail box is
full. would love to contact anyone who would like to talk on the phone as I
have many questions and find typing to clumsy. Hello...is their anyone out
there. Also my Dalton has the motor mounted above the leather step pulleys.
Part of the set looks factory, other part does not. I can load pictures, I
just want to do it at the best location. My e-mail is

--
for full context, visit
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...es-308297-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Am Freitag, 26. Dezember 2003 17:31:31 UTC+1 schrieb Dennis Turk:
[...]

Hi Dennis,

since some Days i own a MetalLathe , maybe a Dalton Lot 2-
Unfortunetly i find no SerialNumber or other things for a Identifikation.

Some Pictures are he

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/...?f=42&t=104833

It would help, if you can help.

If it is a Dalton Lot2, you know one more in the World...

You Re-Build a very nice Champions Blower Forge 9L

Regards from Germany,

Rainer
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Dennis Turk, Rainer wrote:
Hi Dennis, since One Week I own a Dalton Metal Lathe. It is a Lot 2, NO 477. A
Picture Can Seen unser
Http://chaski.org/homemachinist unser the Lathe-Topic. Eben there are some
more Information about the lot2-machines, I'm Interesse on them. Regards from
Germany, Rainer

--
for full context, visit http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...es-308297-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dennis,

I've spoken with you a few years back about my lathe, I have a decent restoration thread going on now he

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threa...oration.34943/

I'm still interested in a threading dial if there is ever another batch run

Rainer,

Guten morgen! Euer Drehbank is sehr nett! Da ist ein webseite von England du soll sehen. ummm...Hier: http://www.lathes.co.uk/dalton/page2.html. Ich kenne mein Deutch is besten nicht, aber woll ich zu helfen mit euer Dalton, oder englisch wann ich kan .
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Dennis Turk, TLouisJ wrote:
Hi, I just received a Dalton Six lathe. The Patent tag ends in 1922 and the
tags all have New York so I think it was built between 1922-1925. ?? It
looks like an 8" x 16" so it's not very long. There are no model numbers or
other ID tags. Can you tell me what it is?
https://www.polytechforum.com/img/5b

--
for full context, visit http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...es-308297-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Dennis Turk, Ron Clark wrote:
I just bought a dalton 7" lathe im not certain of the lot #. The forward /
reverse planetary is broke. Im looking fir a used one. If u could help. Thank
u.

--
for full context, visit http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...es-308297-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Dennis Turk, Jordief123 wrote:
Hello: thank you for getting back! I inquired about your group over a year
ago. I posted my lathe info and pictures on the OWWM site: dalton lathe and
jordie field. It be would wonderful if you could look at it and let me know
what you think. All the best ! And thank you. Jordie field

--
for full context, visit http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...es-308297-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hello,

My name is Matt and I live in Illinois. I have recently come across an opportunity to obtain a €śDalton Six€ť B-4 Lathe. It is in working condition and seems like a pretty sturdy lil Lathe and perfect for my little garage. The guy wants $215.00 for it. Is that a fair price considering it is so hard to get replacement parts?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Price doesn't sound too bad even for a fairly stripped machine, so long
as it's in good condition. Check ways front ways near headstock for
wear. At minimum, you'll want a 3 jaw, 4 jaw, faceplate, drill chuck,
lantern tool post, and a live center to do much. With that, you could
make a lot of accessories. If you plan to do any threading, you'll want
a set of change gears. If not, you could get by with putting a variable
speed DC motor on the far end of the lead screw. I modified a friend's
Craftsman thus. If it's missing most of the above, be aware that without
some serious bargain hunting, they'll likely cost at least double the
price of the lathe.

Jon

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Dennis Turk, Colin Campbell wrote:
I have just purchased a Dalton 6 lathe. I need to replace one of the gears
in the gear train, do you know the specificactions for these gears?

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...es-308297-.htm

Question about small 7 x 10 lathes Cuezilla Metalworking 2 October 18th 03 04:37 AM
Craftex Lathes Surf-dude Metalworking 0 October 15th 03 02:26 PM
Hobby lathes Colin French Metalworking 0 October 12th 03 01:33 PM
tida and takisawa lathes fred Metalworking 0 August 31st 03 01:12 AM
FS: Two 9" South Bend Model C Lathes in NJ Mlshaker Metalworking 0 August 7th 03 02:13 PM