DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Dalton Lathes (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/13718-dalton-lathes.html)

Dennis Turk December 26th 03 05:31 PM

Dalton Lathes

To all Dalton owners and people interested in Dalton equipment. My
name is Dennis Turk and I own seven Dalton lathes, one lot 3 and six
lot 4 machines. The range of age is before 1914 and to after 1925. I
do not use the lathes as they are for restoration and display.

There is a group of Dalton owners that share pictures information and
in some cases replacement parts. There is I believe 13 people in this
group. We are known as just the Dalton Gang.:-) Two of the people
live in England, as it seems Daltons ended up over there also.

There are no multi function machines in the group. The group is
comprised of one lot 2 lathe two lot 3 lathes sixteen lot 4 lathes and
one lot 6. The lot number is just in front of your serial number and
denotes the model. B-4 or B-6.

Not all lathes especially the early ones have model tags on them only
a lot #. We keep a record of all Lot and Serial numbers and this way
we can gestimate the approximate age or year of build for the lathes.

In this group there is also one very original peddle or foot powered
lathe that has the hand lever on the tailstock. Really interesting
machine. Devil to run though.

I would be interested in communicating with anyone that owns a Dalton
lathe for the purpose of tracking serial numbers and helping others
with problems with their lathes. There are a very small number of
replacement parts available. These are used but serviceable.

In some of the postings there was a question as to the age of Dalton
tool works. We know that Herbert Dalton started the company some time
before 1912 and it failed in the stock market crash of 1929. In 1930
Elecrolux purchased the property and built vacuum cleaners there

Thanks and I hope to hear form all Dalton owners.

Ed Rannou September 5th 04 01:21 AM

I have a dalton lathe that needs professional attention. It is missing a tooth from the back gear and the large gear on the spindle. I do not need that reduction gearing to function. I do need help with the selection of a new chuck. I have quite a few spare parts I don't need for my use. I will only be turning wood and plastic on it via direct drive from the leather belt. I don't see the model or serial # info you are looking for. I may part this out or sell whole if I can't use it for my needs. I can be reached at mm, remove extra m's.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Turk

Ed Rannou September 15th 04 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Rannou
I have a dalton lathe that needs professional attention. It is missing a tooth from the back gear and the large gear on the spindle. I do not need that reduction gearing to function. I do need help with the selection of a new chuck. I have quite a few spare parts I don't need for my use. I will only be turning wood and plastic on it via direct drive from the leather belt. I don't see the model or serial # info you are looking for. I may part this out or sell whole if I can't use it for my needs. I can be reached at mm, remove extra m's.

The lathe now belongs to Dennis Turk. Please contact him for info.
Thanks to all who contacted me.

Bunny March 15th 05 09:53 PM

Hi, I have a Dalton Lathe and would be interested if you have any photos of a
lot 4 lathe. I am renovating the lathe and would appreciate finding out if
any parts are missing, and the arrangement options of the cogs etc.

[email protected] September 8th 13 12:33 AM

Dalton Lathes

On Friday, December 26, 2003 11:31:32 AM UTC-5, Dennis Turk wrote:
[...]

Hi Dennis
Need your email steve from florida a friend of mine Milton Burnett found a dalton lathe you may be interested in. His contact info is
Steve from Florida

[email protected] December 15th 13 12:14 AM

Dalton Lathes

[...]

Hello, I just purchased a Dalton lathe, but don't know what model it is. Can I post a photo somewhere? Thanks.

James Waldby[_3_] December 15th 13 02:07 AM

Dalton Lathes

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 15:14:09 -0800, mplieb1 wrote:
On Friday, December 26, 2003 11:31:32 AM UTC-5, Dennis Turk wrote:
To all Dalton owners and people interested in Dalton equipment.

[snip Dennis Turk 2003 post re Dalton lathe S/N's etc]

Hello, I just purchased a Dalton lathe, but don't know what model
it is. Can I post a photo somewhere? Thanks.

The metalworking dropbox accepts photos emailed to it. See
instructions at http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox.html and see
uploaded files at http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/. If you
upload some pictures, wait and get the dropbox's reply that tells
you the picture URL's before announcing the upload, so you can
include them in future posts..

--
jiw

[email protected] February 17th 14 03:01 PM

Dalton Lathes

[...]

dennisyesterday sunday 2/16/2014
i bought a dalton lot 4 lathe. says lot 4 on end of bed left on the right says #4065. on the gear cover says model b. change gears are held on with pins... the lathe is nice and tight i have it reassembled (h it had to carry it down the steps it is covered with saw dust , it looks cared for and i will clean it off ,oil it and run it later to day..
tony z

[email protected] October 6th 14 06:55 AM

Dalton Lathes

Hi all,
just purchased a good looking Dalton Six, Lot4 # 2304. Any idea what year it was manufactured?
Thanks.
Vadim
NYC

[email protected] February 21st 15 07:34 AM

Dalton Lathes

I recently obtained a Dalton lathe. It is in realitive excelent condition. I am trying to identify it as to the age and model. It apears to be a 3 1/2" by about 11"to 12" center to center bed. It looks very much like the 1918 B2 from California that I have seen on the web. On the gear change cover it list the type as Type "B" and made in New York. There is no identifing name on the side of the Bed, The both feet have Dalton made in New York cast into them also in the carage front. there is a small name plate on the front side of the gear cover about 2" by 2" with what apears to be paten information on it it is very hard to read cant tell if it has a serial no. As I said before the machine is in excelent condition and apears to be all original. I know where it has bee for the past 20 or so years. It was used by a friend of mine for a few years prior to that. Phil, Vicksburg MS.