Karl Vorwerk

Default OT weed eaters

What brand/model weedeaters do you guys prefer? We're looking for lower end
proffesional/higher end homeowner. I think gas would work best but the lady
with the rental units would prefer electric if there are any commercial
grade ones. Less than a half acre total of land. Mainly weeds and ground
cover. A personal note I hate those bump string extender mechanisms. They
didn't work 25 years ago and the one BD one I just used was worse.
Thanks for the info.
Karl

Nick Hull

In article ,
"Karl Vorwerk" wrote:

What brand/model weedeaters do you guys prefer? We're looking for lower end
proffesional/higher end homeowner. I think gas would work best but the lady
with the rental units would prefer electric if there are any commercial
grade ones. Less than a half acre total of land. Mainly weeds and ground
cover. A personal note I hate those bump string extender mechanisms. They
didn't work 25 years ago and the one BD one I just used was worse.
Thanks for the info.
Karl

I have a Tanaka, works great but difficult to get parts.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Eric R Snow

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 11:11:14 GMT, "Karl Vorwerk"
wrote:

What brand/model weedeaters do you guys prefer? We're looking for lower end
proffesional/higher end homeowner. I think gas would work best but the lady
with the rental units would prefer electric if there are any commercial
grade ones. Less than a half acre total of land. Mainly weeds and ground
cover. A personal note I hate those bump string extender mechanisms. They
didn't work 25 years ago and the one BD one I just used was worse.
Thanks for the info.
Karl

Greetings Karl,
I have posted before about my Ryobi string trimmer. It is a 4 stroke
model and has been very reliable. After 4 years of hard use it did
develop a problem. The screws that hold the carb to the engine came
loose. I tightened them and they came loose again. I used loctite, the
blue removable stuff, and they are now staying tight. The bump line
feed mechanism looked weak to me when I took it apart the first time
to clean out some mud. I bought another string head at that time
because I expected it to fail. It is still on the shelf in the
un-opened package. The head can be re-filled without taking the head
apart, which is a feature I have not seen on any other string trimmer.
The shaft splits in two so changing from string to the blade is super
easy. Only one knob to twist. And there are other attachments
available for the thing. A small rototiller and a blower for example.
I feel that my Ryobi trimmer has these major positive points:
Being a 4 stroke it doesn't smoke, there is no mixing of oil and gas
to contend with, it is stingy with fuel, and is less noisy than a two
stroke.
The string head is remarkably durable and feeds line just like it's
supposed to.
It has good torque at low rpm so it can be bogged down without killing
the engine.
I modified the blade head to accept skilsaw blades. Carbide toothed
blades can be had for 6 bucks around here. The ryobi will cut through
a two inch alder even with a dull blade.
Also, the engine always starts easily. When it is cold it is best to
start it up and let it idle a couple minutes. It idles fine. But if
it's above 70 degrees outside it's pretty much pull and play.
Eric
woodworker88

I use the 14 amp black and decker weedeater, the latest model, with
automatic string feed. It isn't that noisy and even large weeds don't
bog it down. Every year on our property I have to clear all dry brush
within 30 feet from the house. We have had 2 of these units going
simultaneously and can get the entire job done in a couple of hours.

jw

wrote:

What brand/model weedeaters do you guys prefer? We're looking for lower end
proffesional/higher end homeowner. I think gas would work best but the lady
with the rental units would prefer electric if there are any commercial
grade ones. Less than a half acre total of land. Mainly weeds and ground
cover. A personal note I hate those bump string extender mechanisms. They
didn't work 25 years ago and the one BD one I just used was worse.
Thanks for the info.
Karl

Greetings Karl,
I have posted before about my Ryobi string trimmer. It is a 4 stroke
model and has been very reliable. After 4 years of hard use it did

I have the same. The Ryobi 725r. It has been very good. I ditched
the string right away and went with a gator head. It has good power,
is quiet(for a string trimmer) and doesn't vibrate like a 2stroker
does.
It has pretty decent balance. One can use if for several hours and not
get tired lugging it around.

JW

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark

I second the praise for Ryobi, 2 or 4 cycle. Muscle, durability,
and best of all, go to harbor fright and get a refurb one for about
70-80 bucks.

If you wish, buy a spare to power a large scale model aircraft.... / mark

Karl Vorwerk wrote:

What brand/model weedeaters do you guys prefer? We're looking for lower end
proffesional/higher end homeowner. I think gas would work best but the lady
with the rental units would prefer electric if there are any commercial
grade ones. Less than a half acre total of land. Mainly weeds and ground
cover. A personal note I hate those bump string extender mechanisms. They
didn't work 25 years ago and the one BD one I just used was worse.
Thanks for the info.
Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DE

wrote:

What brand/model weedeaters do you guys prefer?

I go for 50/50 goats and sheep, clip and fertilize
at the same time. A little hard on the roses tho :0)
Makes for a great end of the summer barbacue party........
just don't name em, get the 45lb stockers in the spring and they
usaually make 85lbs by labor day

Less than a half acre total of land. Mainly weeds and ground
cover

Depending on rainfall, 4-5 head per acre..

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 11:11:14 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Karl
Vorwerk" quickly quoth:

What brand/model weedeaters do you guys prefer? We're looking for lower end
proffesional/higher end homeowner. I think gas would work best but the lady
with the rental units would prefer electric if there are any commercial
grade ones. Less than a half acre total of land. Mainly weeds and ground
cover. A personal note I hate those bump string extender mechanisms. They
didn't work 25 years ago and the one BD one I just used was worse.

I've been using a Husky 323 on a neighbor's perimeter for a few years
and it is the nicest weedeater I've ever used. I think a 4-stroke
would be even nicer. The Husqvarna is twice the machine of any Toro,
WeedEater, etc. homeowner/semi-pro brand I've ever worked with before.
They're about $300 and worth every penny. The power is 4x that of any
other machine I've used.

-----
= The wealth of reality, cannot be seen from your locality. =
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

What brand/model weedeaters do you guys prefer? We're looking for lower end
proffesional/higher end homeowner. I think gas would work best but the lady
with the rental units would prefer electric if there are any commercial
grade ones. Less than a half acre total of land. Mainly weeds and ground
cover. A personal note I hate those bump string extender mechanisms. They
didn't work 25 years ago and the one BD one I just used was worse.
Thanks for the info.

I finally got sick of th' usual HD type brands and bought a Stihl.
We've had one similar to th' link below for six years now and it's
never missed a beat. I purchased a cutting blade for smaller (2" dia)
alders trees and blackberry bushes, as well as th' weed eater head.

http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/FS45.html

My wife took over th' lawn mowing and weed eating chores three years
ago... hey, she *wanted* to do it for exercise, who am I to complain
g. Anyway, we have about 1 1/2 acres of grass, so it get used a
bunch! And it's not too heavy for her either, she's 5'3", 130 lbs.

Just another satisfied Stihl customer. My Stihl chainsaw is 16 yrs
old now and runs good as new too.

Snarl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug

ryobi is great, and good entry price.

i run an fs85. lots of power, runs great, starts great, they no longer
make them.
stihl 4 mix really sucks IMO.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
garigue

What brand/model weedeaters do you guys prefer? We're looking for lower

end
proffesional/higher end homeowner.

Hi Karl ....... Stihl ...... a little expensive but the quality is
excellent. I purchased one for our church cemetery several years ago and
found it to function excellently. The bump feed mechanism works and the
orange line stands up to a lot of use about the stones ....at least 4 times
longer than the green line. I will be getting another in the spring.

God Bless Tom in Belle Vernon Pa.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Keith Marshall

"Karl Vorwerk" wrote in message
What brand/model weedeaters do you guys prefer? We're looking for lower
end
proffesional/higher end homeowner. I think gas would work best but the
lady
with the rental units would prefer electric if there are any commercial
grade ones. Less than a half acre total of land. Mainly weeds and ground
cover. A personal note I hate those bump string extender mechanisms. They
didn't work 25 years ago and the one BD one I just used was worse.

We got fed up with the usual weedeater 3 or 4 years ago and bought one of
these:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...&bidsite=CRAFT

We have about 1000'+ of fence and wall to do and this thing is great! No
sore back and no mixing gas & oil.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Vorwerk

My brother-in-law has some of those weed eaters. Haven't gotten to taste one
yet though.
Not really an option here and she's a vegetarian.
Thanks
Karl

wrote:

What brand/model weedeaters do you guys prefer?

I go for 50/50 goats and sheep, clip and fertilize
at the same time. A little hard on the roses tho :0)
Makes for a great end of the summer barbacue party........
just don't name em, get the 45lb stockers in the spring and they
usaually make 85lbs by labor day

Less than a half acre total of land. Mainly weeds and ground
cover

Depending on rainfall, 4-5 head per acre..

News==----

Newsgroups

=----

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Vorwerk

Thanks for the opinions. I'll price them and give her the options but I
suspect she'll go with the 14 amp Black and Decker.
Thanks for the help.
Karl

"Karl Vorwerk" wrote in message
What brand/model weedeaters do you guys prefer? We're looking for lower

end
proffesional/higher end homeowner. I think gas would work best but the

lady
with the rental units would prefer electric if there are any commercial
grade ones. Less than a half acre total of land. Mainly weeds and ground
cover. A personal note I hate those bump string extender mechanisms. They
didn't work 25 years ago and the one BD one I just used was worse.
Thanks for the info.
Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bugs

I paid $750 for the best model Husqvarna. Three years later it threw a
circlip and blew the engine. $600 quoted for a new engine.
FAGETABOUTIT! Bought a $350 Stihl, same model. Going into its fourth
year without a hitch. The starting pre-primer is a definite plus.
Bugs

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug

electric weed eaters are a pita. if they work for you great, but .....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On 17 Nov 2005 06:25:57 -0800, Bugs wrote:
I paid $750 for the best model Husqvarna. Three years later it threw a
circlip and blew the engine. $600 quoted for a new engine.

How in the world did a circlip get ingested?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On 17 Nov 2005 06:25:57 -0800, Bugs wrote:
I paid $750 for the best model Husqvarna. Three years later it threw

circlip and blew the engine. $600 quoted for a new engine.

How in the world did a circlip get ingested?

Probably came out of the piston where it secured the floating wrist pin.
Not an uncommon thing to happen with 2 strokes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Vorwerk

Convinced her gas was best. Now I'm looking for the 4 stroke Ryobi. None at
Home Depot so I'm going to check out the garden stores tomorrow.
Thanks
Karl

wrote:

What brand/model weedeaters do you guys prefer?

I go for 50/50 goats and sheep, clip and fertilize
at the same time. A little hard on the roses tho :0)
Makes for a great end of the summer barbacue party........
just don't name em, get the 45lb stockers in the spring and they
usaually make 85lbs by labor day

Less than a half acre total of land. Mainly weeds and ground
cover

Depending on rainfall, 4-5 head per acre..

News==----

Newsgroups

=----

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bugs

That's what holds the wristpin in place. The wristpin scored the
cylinder.
Bugs

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 09:50:33 GMT, "Karl Vorwerk"
wrote:

Convinced her gas was best. Now I'm looking for the 4 stroke Ryobi. None at
Home Depot so I'm going to check out the garden stores tomorrow.

Good luck finding one. I'm pretty sure they don't make them anymore.
The fact is that Ryobi sold the weedeater line and then bought it back
so I'm not even sure who made the 4 stroke models since at one point
there was two different companies selling under the Ryobi name.
Looking on Ryobi power tools home page only shows 2 stroke models.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Chip Chester

Karl,

I seem to recall TroyBilt looking like the same thing at Lowe's last year.
I'm pretty sure Anderson's General Store in central Ohio carries them,
so they might still have some if they've been discontinued.

Looks like I should try to find an "extra" powerhead, too.
I've been using the Ryobi 4-stroke for about four years now.
After the carb-screw re-tightening, (sometime last year) it still runs like
a champ.
The reason it works well for me is that the engine is run year-round,
so it never sits for 6 months and gums up. (Plus, I use StaBil during
the winter, too.) Have the string trimmer, old-style hedge trimmer, blower,
chain saw pruner, recip saw pruner (takes sawzall blades), blade style
trimmer,
roto tiller and snowblower attachments. (All made of metal, by the way...)
Still looking for the margurita blender and
the skateboard attachments, though...

"Chip Chester" in Columbus
"Karl Vorwerk" wrote in message
Convinced her gas was best. Now I'm looking for the 4 stroke Ryobi. None

at
Home Depot so I'm going to check out the garden stores tomorrow.
Thanks
Karl

(snip)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

wrote:

Convinced her gas was best. Now I'm looking for the 4 stroke Ryobi. None at
Home Depot so I'm going to check out the garden stores tomorrow.

Good luck finding one. I'm pretty sure they don't make them anymore.
The fact is that Ryobi sold the weedeater line and then bought it back
so I'm not even sure who made the 4 stroke models since at one point
there was two different companies selling under the Ryobi name.
Looking on Ryobi power tools home page only shows 2 stroke models.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

This is the parent company that manufactures Ryobi lawn and garden
products, including weed eaters.

The pistons are made on my equipment..OmniTurn lathes, in Aridzona.

http://www.mtdproducts.com/home.jsp

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if
nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace
personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed,
the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of
defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see
police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line
of defense." --Walter Williams
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook

wrote:

Convinced her gas was best. Now I'm looking for the 4 stroke Ryobi. None at
Home Depot so I'm going to check out the garden stores tomorrow.

Good luck finding one. I'm pretty sure they don't make them anymore.
The fact is that Ryobi sold the weedeater line and then bought it back
so I'm not even sure who made the 4 stroke models since at one point
there was two different companies selling under the Ryobi name.
Looking on Ryobi power tools home page only shows 2 stroke models.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

This is the parent company that manufactures Ryobi lawn and garden
products, including weed eaters.

The pistons are made on my equipment..OmniTurn lathes, in Aridzona.

http://www.mtdproducts.com/home.jsp

Yeah MTD owns most of the lawn and garden companies now days.
However talking to my MTD distributer the other day and he told me the
story of the Ryobi line being sold then they changed there minds and
decided to get back into the weed eater business thus they bought back
the rights to the name.

Ok. I just checked my MTD parts lookup and MTD made the Ryobi line
from 2000-2004. All other years where made by Ryobi Technologies Inc.

I can tell you right now that when I see a Ryobi two stroke weed
eater come in the door I cringe. They seem to be the hardest of any of
the weed eater models to get to run right after they quit. Mostly due
to there choice of carb design.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Vorwerk

I was wondering if it was still made. That Ryobi site sucked. I talked to
what's considered the best garden shop around here today and they only carry
one brand. It's a Japanese brand, Shindaou or something don't remember
exactly but they consider it to be the best brand and have in house warranty
repair. Not cheap though. $200 and up. The most popular one was $350.
Doesn't do attachments except blades.
I like that rototiller attachment. Now she's talking about hiring a yard
service.
Thanks
Karl

"Chip Chester" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook

"Chip Chester" wrote in message
om...
Karl,

I seem to recall TroyBilt looking like the same thing at Lowe's last year.
I'm pretty sure Anderson's General Store in central Ohio carries them,
so they might still have some if they've been discontinued.

My bets are that when MTD lost the Ryobi brand name they transferred
the designs to the Troybilt name which they also own.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug

http://www.toolsandhardware.net/B000...with_Case.html

http://motoboard.com/

just helpin.......

:-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 12:25:57 -0600, Wayne Cook
wrote:

I can tell you right now that when I see a Ryobi two stroke weed
eater come in the door I cringe. They seem to be the hardest of any of
the weed eater models to get to run right after they quit. Mostly due
to there choice of carb design.

And conversely, I can attest that Stihl's line suffers no such evil.
Living in th' PNW, ours sits for about 6 months. All we've ever done
is run it dry of fuel and hang it up for winter. Next Spring, fuel it
up and away she goes... without hesitation. Six years now anyway, and
I have no reason to believe next Spring will prove any different.

My Stihl chainsaw has proven that after 16 years. Albeit I have taken
it in for a tune up a couple of times shrug.

Snarl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
daniel peterman

I believe they are called "goats".
Ive gotta poulan and it can knock down some greenery but my neighbors
prefer goats and emu to get the job done.
And the funny thing is, I live in San Diego about 5 minutes from
downtown.
DJP
signing off

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rabbits and deer can also eat some weeds and my garden.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Danniken

"Karl Vorwerk" wrote:
. I talked to
what's considered the best garden shop around here today and they only

carry
one brand. It's a Japanese brand, Shindaou or something don't remember
exactly but they consider it to be the best brand and have in house

warranty
repair. Not cheap though. $200 and up. The most popular one was $350.
Doesn't do attachments except blades.

Shindaiwa. I bought a used T260 a few years ago and I don't see having to
buy another one for a long time.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
D Murphy

"Karl Vorwerk" wrote in
:

What brand/model weedeaters do you guys prefer? We're looking for
lower end proffesional/higher end homeowner. I think gas would work
best but the lady with the rental units would prefer electric if there
are any commercial grade ones. Less than a half acre total of land.
Mainly weeds and ground cover. A personal note I hate those bump
string extender mechanisms. They didn't work 25 years ago and the one
BD one I just used was worse. Thanks for the info.

I bought a used Echo GT-200CE at a church rummage sale 13-14 years ago for
five bucks. It's still running strong. It looks similar to the GT-200R or
GT-200i listed here - http://www.echo-usa.com/prods_list.asp?
Category=TRIMMER . Appears to be the same engine anyway. This thing has
seen some hard use and all I've ever replaced were spark plugs, air filter,
pull cord (wore it out), miles of string, and a couple of string heads. It
starts every time on the second pull.

I offered to pay more and they wouldn't let me. They said that they didn't
think it worked. It had compression and spark (ouch) so I figured I could
get it running. It was the best five bucks I ever spent.

--

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Vorwerk

That's it.
Latest news she found a 13 yearold boy who did it for $10 per hour with his
fathers weedeater.
Thanks
Karl

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
"Karl Vorwerk" wrote:
. I talked to
what's considered the best garden shop around here today and they only

carry
one brand. It's a Japanese brand, Shindaou or something don't remember
exactly but they consider it to be the best brand and have in house

warranty
repair. Not cheap though. $200 and up. The most popular one was $350.
Doesn't do attachments except blades.

Shindaiwa. I bought a used T260 a few years ago and I don't see having to
buy another one for a long time.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 10:58:47 GMT, "Karl Vorwerk"
wrote:

That's it.
Latest news she found a 13 yearold boy who did it for $10 per hour with his
fathers weedeater.
Thanks
Karl

Kinky......

"Karl Vorwerk" wrote:
. I talked to
what's considered the best garden shop around here today and they only

carry
one brand. It's a Japanese brand, Shindaou or something don't remember
exactly but they consider it to be the best brand and have in house

warranty
repair. Not cheap though. $200 and up. The most popular one was $350.
Doesn't do attachments except blades.

Shindaiwa. I bought a used T260 a few years ago and I don't see having to
buy another one for a long time.

Jon

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Azaleas and Weed and Feed / Question for group James Home Ownership 14 April 6th 16 02:44 PM
Weed eater string Perry Templeton Home Repair 2 June 24th 05 03:27 AM
Weed Whackers CGB Home Repair 16 June 21st 05 09:20 PM
OT - Sears Weed Whacker Update Lou Electronics Repair 0 June 5th 05 01:17 AM
OT? Sears Craftsman Weed Whacker NSM Electronics Repair 15 June 2nd 05 04:32 PM