Gunner

Default OMG-Gloat

I was over in the Van Nuys California area the other day, and took a
side trip into a residential area to bypass a bit of construction..and
saw a yardsale. As I passed it...out of the corner of my eye..I
thought I saw a welding mask sticking out of a box...so I spun a quick
Uie, and went back.

Sure enough..one of those ultra light tig type masks, but no harness.
The box it was in had various bits of welding Stuff, cans of cast iron
flux, a couple pairs of Tillman welding and tig gloves, some mig
contact tips, and a plastic box with what appeared to be several mask
lens filters. So I paid the nice older lady the $10 she wanted for
the stuff, stuck it in the back of my pickup and promptly forgot about
it until this morning.

I drug the box out, did a quick inventory.. , a number of miller Mig
wire rollers I cant use...etc., contact tips I can use, some welding
sleeves, chpping hammer...etc etc
..and opened the box with the lenses in it.....about 15 new American
Optical fitlers, from about shade 3 through shade 11, some new
splatter shields....and as I dug deeper..found 10 of the diopter
correction lenses that fit into your mask..from .5 through 3x...
(start Gloat Dance, Mk 1) and at the very bottom....two well packaged
filters that made me pause for a moment, before starting the Gloat
Dance Mk 5.....

a brand new Tradesman automatic darkening filter unit.."shade master"
3/10
http://pro-am.com/Catalog/Exec/produ...product_id=334

AND

a ArcOne Singles S240 autodarkening filter,
http://www.arc1weldsafe.com/autodark...m#supersingles

also new. It has both solar cells and sensor cells for power and
responds to a cigarette lighter flint while in full sun.

The Tradesmen doesnt have sensors that I can determine, and wont
respond to a lighter flint...so will have to try it with an actual arc
when I get home.

Happy happy Joy Joy!!!!

"Insert horrific picture of a big ugly bearded cowboy dancing around
the parking lot like an utter spazz..."

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Congratulations! Quite a gloatable find, indeed.

Let us know how those new ultra-spiffy filters compare to the Harbor
Freight one.

As far as the dance goes--I'm O.K. with it as long as you don't dress
up like Minnie Pearl. ;-).

Proctologically Violated©®

I don't know... I thought ZZ Top had some good moves!
In fact, iffin I heard right over the shop din, I think Paula Abdul
choreographed them!! No foolin!

How much do you think all that stuff was worth?
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Gunner" wrote in message
[...]

Pete C.

Gunner wrote:

[...]

That sure beats my mini gloat. The shop that came with my house still
had some bits and pieces of junk lying around in it that I've been
checking and mostly chucking as I get my shop in shape. There was a 5
gal bucket with assorted pipe, valves, air regulators and junk in it,
all used. I dumped it out to see if there was anything useful in it and
found much to my surprize a fully functional Rigid 65R (I think) pipe
threader head (ho handle obviously). 1", 1 1/4", 1 1/2" and 2" threading
as the turn of a selector. The dies are clean and sharp too.

Pete C.

John Miller

If you're in a mind to 'improve' your gloat I might be interested in the
Miller wire feed rollers. I have a MM251 and it takes the rollers with the
3 slots that fit over tabs on the drive system. What size, $, etc?

JAMW

"Gunner" wrote in message
[...]

Martin H. Eastburn

Damn what luck. Tons of stuff.

Might have to talk to the doc and find my diopter number.

And I finally found the missing Spindle nut - big bucks.

I guess Welling Wild Men and sweet young things dance in the street!

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Gunner wrote:
[...]

Gary Brady

Gunner wrote:

Happy happy Joy Joy!!!!

"Insert horrific picture of a big ugly bearded cowboy dancing around
the parking lot like an utter spazz..."

Gunner

I went to a garage sale the other day. The "tools" advertised were 2
yard rakes, a hoe and a hedge snipper. It went downhill from there...

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Gerald Miller

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 02:38:46 GMT, Gary Brady
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Happy happy Joy Joy!!!!

"Insert horrific picture of a big ugly bearded cowboy dancing around
the parking lot like an utter spazz..."

Gunner

I went to a garage sale the other day. The "tools" advertised were 2
yard rakes, a hoe and a hedge snipper. It went downhill from there...

Yeah, and they were probably asking new + 200% prices for each item!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Gary Brady

wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Happy happy Joy Joy!!!!

"Insert horrific picture of a big ugly bearded cowboy dancing around
the parking lot like an utter spazz..."

Gunner

I went to a garage sale the other day. The "tools" advertised were 2
yard rakes, a hoe and a hedge snipper. It went downhill from there...

Yeah, and they were probably asking new + 200% prices for each item!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

How'd you know?! Were you there, too?!

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Gunner

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 01:47:41 GMT, "John Miller"
wrote:

If you're in a mind to 'improve' your gloat I might be interested in the
Miller wire feed rollers. I have a MM251 and it takes the rollers with the
3 slots that fit over tabs on the drive system. What size, $, etc?

JAMW

I think they are "23v" and "30v" marked. Ill double check. They are
now buried under a load of duck decoys.

Dont ask....sigh...

And Im supposed to work out of that truck.....

Gunner, contimplating the plus's and minus's of being a Master
Scrounger

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Gunner

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 20:00:47 -0600, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

Damn what luck. Tons of stuff.

Might have to talk to the doc and find my diopter number.

And I finally found the missing Spindle nut - big bucks.

Cant turn one on the lathe?????

Gunner wrote:
[...]

Gunner

wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Happy happy Joy Joy!!!!

"Insert horrific picture of a big ugly bearded cowboy dancing around
the parking lot like an utter spazz..."

Gunner

I went to a garage sale the other day. The "tools" advertised were 2
yard rakes, a hoe and a hedge snipper. It went downhill from there...

She also had a Craftsman 17" weed eater, heavy, orange color..might
have been a Sthil or Husky..but the head freewheeled, even when I
jerked on the pull starter..so I figured something was busted. $20 was
too rich for my blood for something like that. No gas to start it
with.... THe motor end looked like a Dustbuster sorta kinda.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Wayne Cook

wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Happy happy Joy Joy!!!!

"Insert horrific picture of a big ugly bearded cowboy dancing around
the parking lot like an utter spazz..."

Gunner

I went to a garage sale the other day. The "tools" advertised were 2
yard rakes, a hoe and a hedge snipper. It went downhill from there...

She also had a Craftsman 17" weed eater, heavy, orange color..might
have been a Sthil or Husky..but the head freewheeled, even when I
jerked on the pull starter..so I figured something was busted. $20 was
too rich for my blood for something like that. No gas to start it
with.... THe motor end looked like a Dustbuster sorta kinda.

Many of the Sears weed eaters are Weed Eater brand. The free
wheeling was probably because it had a clutch in it. Most of the
larger higher dollar units have a clutch so you can use them with a
blade of some form.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

Gerald Miller

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 03:19:39 GMT, Gary Brady
wrote:

I went to a garage sale the other day. The "tools" advertised were 2
yard rakes, a hoe and a hedge snipper. It went downhill from there...

Yeah, and they were probably asking new + 200% prices for each item!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

How'd you know?! Were you there, too?!

London, Canada; London, England; Webster, FL - You will always find
the seller who thinks their old hatchet with the eye split out is
worth $10.00 because the handle is split and the head is rusty. Of
course I didn't object too strongly to paying $3.00 for my Fluke 77.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Gerald Miller

wrote:

She also had a Craftsman 17" weed eater, heavy, orange color..might
have been a Sthil or Husky..but the head freewheeled, even when I
jerked on the pull starter..so I figured something was busted. $20 was
too rich for my blood for something like that. No gas to start it
with.... THe motor end looked like a Dustbuster sorta kinda.

Got my homelite with most of the original line for $2.00 because it
was leaking oil (two cycle)
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
carl mciver

wrote in message
oups.com...
| Congratulations! Quite a gloatable find, indeed.
|
| Let us know how those new ultra-spiffy filters compare to the Harbor
| Freight one.
|
| As far as the dance goes--I'm O.K. with it as long as you don't dress
| up like Minnie Pearl. ;-).

I wouldn't mind him doing that at all. As a matter of fact, he should
feel free. Just as long as he lets me take a couple good pictures. I'm sure
Cliff or someone like him would be in the market!

Rex B wrote:

As far as the dance goes--I'm O.K. with it as long as you don't dress
up like Minnie Pearl. ;-).

Now THERE is a mental image I dod NOT need!

Howwdeee!
Gunner

wrote:

Gunner wrote:

[...]

Its been in my experience..that if you jerk the pull rope fast
enough..the clutch will engage at least a little bit..and you can get
some motion at the string end. I had another fellow hold the string
end..and he could feel nothing at all when I did that.

Shrug..maybe I blew it..maybe not.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Wayne Cook

wrote:

Many of the Sears weed eaters are Weed Eater brand. The free
wheeling was probably because it had a clutch in it. Most of the
larger higher dollar units have a clutch so you can use them with a
blade of some form.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

Its been in my experience..that if you jerk the pull rope fast
enough..the clutch will engage at least a little bit..and you can get
some motion at the string end. I had another fellow hold the string
end..and he could feel nothing at all when I did that.

It will usually at least try to spin alright.

Shrug..maybe I blew it..maybe not.

Not a big deal either way actually. I was just making sure you knew
about the clutch.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm
jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

She also had a Craftsman 17" weed eater, heavy, orange color..might
have been a Sthil or Husky..but the head freewheeled, even when I
jerked on the pull starter..so I figured something was busted. $20 was
too rich for my blood for something like that. No gas to start it
with.... THe motor end looked like a Dustbuster sorta kinda.

Some of those use flex shafts. If it has a tube with a bend it,
that's the kind and the flex shaft is toast. If so let me know
as I wound up with an extra shaft for me "Eager Beaver II" which
never got used.

What a great name though.

Jim

please reply to:
Roger Shoaf

wrote in message
oups.com...
Congratulations! Quite a gloatable find, indeed.

Let us know how those new ultra-spiffy filters compare to the Harbor
Freight one.

As far as the dance goes--I'm O.K. with it as long as you don't dress
up like Minnie Pearl. ;-).

Minnie Pearl? I think that is a little tacky, I think a guy like Gunner
would go for the Dame Edna look.

--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
1] Depth of gene pool
2] Position on the food chain.

Martin H. Eastburn

I'd have to buy yet another holder - have the insert.
Then see if I could turn left hand threads.
Then see if I could turn left hand threads at an unknown taper which isn't documented.
J&S taper - e.g. not Morse 2. Maybe there is only one.

I saw that the way it was done was using a dovetail jaw to hold the flat metal
after one side was cut - and likely bore out the center and thread...

So that thin flange as they in the UK call it - I call it a nut - now Flange nut to me -
requires a chuck or adapting a wood lathe chuck with dovetail ability and hope it
had half the accuracy I needed...

I see it as a accuracy issue - if off axis pressure is placed then a grind stone
is cracked. If not when tightening maybe under load.

I find it odd - that the spindle is tapered - as the flange-nut does not seat near
the far flange - so thin cutoff wheels are out - unless a handful of washers
are used to space - but that defeats some of the design work of the flange -
thin ring of pressure. Hum.

Glad I have 3 Grinding books - $210 worth - $100, $100, $10. The last two are paperback -
and about the same size - but the 100 is a bit better than the 10 book.

Finally got the 24x24x12 box on the wall with the 6 transformers. Hope to wire some of it
up this week.

Plasma controller back from repair from required fix recall - might be a problem yet.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Gunner wrote:

[...]

Martin H. Eastburn

If the unit was a two part - I have a Sthl trimmer/saw machine - but many
have two part - for storage/shipping - maybe the internal flex cable didn't
get connected.
Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Happy happy Joy Joy!!!!

"Insert horrific picture of a big ugly bearded cowboy dancing around
the parking lot like an utter spazz..."

Gunner

I went to a garage sale the other day. The "tools" advertised were 2
yard rakes, a hoe and a hedge snipper. It went downhill from there...

She also had a Craftsman 17" weed eater, heavy, orange color..might
have been a Sthil or Husky..but the head freewheeled, even when I
jerked on the pull starter..so I figured something was busted. $20 was
too rich for my blood for something like that. No gas to start it
with.... THe motor end looked like a Dustbuster sorta kinda.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Gunner Asch

wrote:

[...]

For which I thank you.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Gunner Asch

On 11 Nov 2005 13:56:12 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Gunner says...

She also had a Craftsman 17" weed eater, heavy, orange color..might
have been a Sthil or Husky..but the head freewheeled, even when I
jerked on the pull starter..so I figured something was busted. $20 was
too rich for my blood for something like that. No gas to start it
with.... THe motor end looked like a Dustbuster sorta kinda.

Some of those use flex shafts. If it has a tube with a bend it,
that's the kind and the flex shaft is toast. If so let me know
as I wound up with an extra shaft for me "Eager Beaver II" which
never got used.

What a great name though.

Jim

Sounds like something from the sex machines site, doesnt it?

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Gunner Asch

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 14:17:43 -0800, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Congratulations! Quite a gloatable find, indeed.

Let us know how those new ultra-spiffy filters compare to the Harbor
Freight one.

As far as the dance goes--I'm O.K. with it as long as you don't dress
up like Minnie Pearl. ;-).

Minnie Pearl? I think that is a little tacky, I think a guy like Gunner
would go for the Dame Edna look.

Black and pearls..I never remember when that season is..and I get it
wrong all too often.