Gunner

Default Opinions on a used Atlas/Craftsman 12" lathe...

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 03:57:50 GMT, Gary Brady
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Tell you what..you want it? Its free. Just come and get it. No strings
and Ill even feed you. Need pics? Ill take some next weekend when I
get home again.

Gunner

Well, it's tempting, especially with the meal thrown in. I have to
admit I looked at Mapquest. 3000 mile round trip, $500-$600 worth of
diesel. I guess I'm just another tire kicker...

Tell you what..to sweeten the deal..Ill toss in 2 fixer upper Boyer
Shultz surface grinders, and grazing rights in my stacks of Stuff.. Im
sure there are other machines Im not remembering at the moment out
there in storage...FREE to you. And Id sell you a Hobart Cybertig 2
tig/stick welder (3ph) for $200

And toss in some cats as a bonus.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Gunner

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Tell you what..you want it? Its free. Just come and get it. No strings
and Ill even feed you. Need pics? Ill take some next weekend when I
get home again.

Gunner

Well, it's tempting, especially with the meal thrown in. I have to
admit I looked at Mapquest. 3000 mile round trip, $500-$600 worth of
diesel. I guess I'm just another tire kicker...

Oh..on the Cybertig..Wayne Cook has expressed some interest in it..and
he has a plasma cutter Im interested in...so you could maybe get some
help with fuel costs. In fact..if you play your cards right..you could
work up a route to haul machines for others and perhaps get all your
fuel paid for, and get Free Stuff as a bonus.

Lots of guys in Texas want stuff here in California, and visa versa.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Rex B

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Tell you what..you want it? Its free. Just come and get it. No strings
and Ill even feed you. Need pics? Ill take some next weekend when I
get home again.

Gunner

Well, it's tempting, especially with the meal thrown in. I have to
admit I looked at Mapquest. 3000 mile round trip, $500-$600 worth of
diesel. I guess I'm just another tire kicker...

Oh..on the Cybertig..Wayne Cook has expressed some interest in it..and
he has a plasma cutter Im interested in...so you could maybe get some
help with fuel costs. In fact..if you play your cards right..you could
work up a route to haul machines for others and perhaps get all your
fuel paid for, and get Free Stuff as a bonus.

Lots of guys in Texas want stuff here in California, and visa versa.

Sign me up

Rex Burkheimer
Fort Worth
A few miles off I20
Emmo

If any of you Texans are serious about this 'Gunner run', I'll volunteer to
drive. I'm out of work and wouldn't mind taking a road trip. We have Gary,
Wayne, Rex, and me so far, so if Martin, and others join in, we could
probably get it done. Early January would work for me. Someone has to
provide the truck and/or trailer.

What should we send to California? All I can think of is food or mesquite
wood g...

Wayne Cook

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Tell you what..you want it? Its free. Just come and get it. No strings
and Ill even feed you. Need pics? Ill take some next weekend when I
get home again.

Gunner

Well, it's tempting, especially with the meal thrown in. I have to
admit I looked at Mapquest. 3000 mile round trip, $500-$600 worth of
diesel. I guess I'm just another tire kicker...

Oh..on the Cybertig..Wayne Cook has expressed some interest in it..and
he has a plasma cutter Im interested in...so you could maybe get some
help with fuel costs. In fact..if you play your cards right..you could
work up a route to haul machines for others and perhaps get all your
fuel paid for, and get Free Stuff as a bonus.

Lots of guys in Texas want stuff here in California, and visa versa.

Sign me up

There's a possibility that I've got a guy who will drive there and
back. I've also got access to some decent pickups for the run (the
best choice being a 1 ton Dodge diesel). But I've not got a good large
size gooseneck trailer which would be needed for a large load (mines
not really up to that kind of trip and a large load would be needed to
accommodate everybody). I'd definitely be willing to kick in for the
right stuff being brought back. The welder while it would be nice
isn't something I need badly since I've already got a Miller 500 amp
MIG and Stick welder, and a 300 amp AC capable Cybertig. If nobody
else wants it I'll take it but there should be somebody who needs it
more than I do. I just hate to see it going to waste.

However some sheet metal fabrication stuff is on my want list as
well as a good 20" swing x 8-10' center lathe for the right price.
Have to see just what Gunner has available or can find.

On my get rid of list is a Sheffield Micro Form grinder like this
one on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHEFFIELD-121-MI... QcmdZViewItem

Item number 7561421421 if the above doesn't work for you.

I've also got a 20" shaper that needs some work on the drive system.
Not in super shape but could be made to run and it's cheap.

A Shop Task lathe mill is available as well. It's a older model and
has a treadmill motor mounted on it.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

Gunner

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 17:06:05 GMT, Ignoramus18971
wrote:

Gunner, maybe I am missing something. Can you list this cybertig on
ebay, with free delivery to LA, since you go there anyway. It should
get some bids if it is in a working condition with some leads and
footpedal.

By the way, I emailed you yesterday about my Amphenol connector.

I could indeed list it on Ebay. But Ive never sold anything on Ebay
actually, only bought.

And no..Ive not got any email from you.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Rex B

Emmo wrote:
If any of you Texans are serious about this 'Gunner run', I'll volunteer to
drive. I'm out of work and wouldn't mind taking a road trip. We have Gary,
Wayne, Rex, and me so far, so if Martin, and others join in, we could
probably get it done. Early January would work for me. Someone has to
provide the truck and/or trailer.

What should we send to California? All I can think of is food or mesquite
wood g...

Water and fire extinguishers?

Actually, I have no idea what Gunner has that I'd want. I figure lots,
but there's nothing I have a Burning need for. That always changes when
something pops up at a bargain price.
How about a mill-drill or benchtop mill of some sort? I'm not ready
for a BP.

Rex
Gary Brady

Rex B wrote:

Emmo wrote:

If any of you Texans are serious about this 'Gunner run', I'll
volunteer to drive. I'm out of work and wouldn't mind taking a road
trip. We have Gary, Wayne, Rex, and me so far, so if Martin, and
others join in, we could probably get it done. Early January would
work for me. Someone has to provide the truck and/or trailer.

What should we send to California? All I can think of is food or
mesquite wood g...

Water and fire extinguishers?

Actually, I have no idea what Gunner has that I'd want. I figure lots,
but there's nothing I have a Burning need for. That always changes when
something pops up at a bargain price.
How about a mill-drill or benchtop mill of some sort? I'm not ready
for a BP.

Rex

I've got an F-250 and a 16' trailer, but somehow I don't think that
would scratch the surface. The trailer is one of the lighter weight
models. I've carried cars just fine, and a Bobcat once or twice around
town, but I think Gunner's supply and Texas' demand far exceeds that.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Wayne Cook

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 21:34:30 GMT, Gary Brady
wrote:

Rex B wrote:

Emmo wrote:

[...]

Agreed which is why I stated my trailers not up to the job. :-)

I've got access to a 18 or 20' gooseneck trailer. But it's the kind
that looks like a over long utility trailer with a gooseneck added and
I think the gross weight it would handle is only 12,000lbs. I don't
think that's big enough. One thing you have to remember is that it'll
be going into the foreign country of California and they're a little
more strick about trailers there. I've got a 23'x8' flat bed trailer
but it's a home made job somebody put together with what ever they had
on hand. It's ugly and is very heavy by itself. My truck with this
trailer on weighs in at about 13,000-14,000 lbs empty. I've had as
much as 14,000-16,000lbs on it but I was only going a couple of miles.
I wouldn't even want to think about hauling it out there and back with
half that load. For one thing it's got heavy springs and tends to beat
you to death when it's unloaded.

There's a number of trailers around here that would do the job but I
can't think of one that I could borrow long enough to do the run.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm
Martin H. Eastburn

Sounds like an empty Pipe hauling truck or Well servicing heavy duty low boy
would be just the ticket.

Haul it full of useless oak cord wood that is sold like gold in Ca. and haul back
Iron so it doesn't ship to China. :-)

But alas - with the price of oil high, most of these trucks are busy or being watched!

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life