Eric R Snow

Default Turn your Trav-A-Dial into DRO kit proposal

I've been learning about encoders. All the DROs use some kind of
encoder. There many encoder schemes. I like Trav-A-Dials because I can
watch the needle go round and round lots easier than watching a
digital display increment. On the other hand a digital display doesn't
suffer from parallax. Best is both. So, after a little research I
figured out how to add a digital encoder and display to a Trav-A-Dial.
This mod would require reversible modifications to your own
Trav-A-dial that anybody here could do. It could be set up to be
battery operated with the digital display located at the Trav-A-Dial
and a battery life of about 150 hours. Or it could be set up with a
remote digital display connected by a cable to the Trav-A-Dial. The
remote display would be powered by a wall wart. The display would NOT
remember where it is when the power is off, such as when changing
batteries. Anyway, it looks like I can retail these things for around
$100.00 US. If demand was high enough this could be lowered
substantially. So, anybody interested? Should I try to develop this?
Thanks,
Eric R Snow,
E T Precision Machine
Tim Wescott

Eric R Snow wrote:

[...]

Please think about including a hold-up capacitor in the power supply
circuit that'll keep it going at least for a while -- having a power
line "blip" reset the thing in the middle of a cut would be a royal pain.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
woodworker88

Would this include the encoder and the display, or just the cost of the
modification. We are looking for a dro for our bridgeport clone but
can't afford the $1000 price tag for a decent one.

Eric R Snow

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 22:33:08 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

Eric R Snow wrote:

[...]

Greetings Tim,
I would have some sort power backup that would last a minute or two. I
was thinking of maybe a lithium coin cell that would give many minutes
backup. But thanks for the suggestion. It's a good one.
Eric
Eric R Snow

On 30 Oct 2005 08:46:33 -0800, "woodworker88"
wrote:

Would this include the encoder and the display, or just the cost of the
modification. We are looking for a dro for our bridgeport clone but
can't afford the $1000 price tag for a decent one.

This would include the display and encoder. You would need to supply
the Trav-A-Dial. If you are looking for a complete system look at
Jenix. Two axes. .0002 resolution. An outfit called LMSC sells them.
Follow this link:
http://www.digitalreadoutsystem.com/Jenix/jenix_dro.htm
The price is less than 700 bucks.
Anyway, this is just a proposal right now. I have looked at all the
parts required and quoted the machining like I would a job for someone
else. So even if I started making them tomorrow it would still be at
least a month before any would ship.
Eric

woodworker88

ok

Nick Müller

Eric R Snow wrote:

So, anybody interested? Should I try to develop this?

Not that I'd like to have one (for now). But I'd like to integrate it
into my YADRO-project (a DIY-DRO).
If you see any chances that we agree upon a protocol, I'd like to make
the additions to my software.

YADRO can be found he
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de/werkstatt/09_yadro/en_index.html

Enjoy

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Nick Müller

Eric R Snow wrote:

It looks like, to me, that your scale reader will not work with the
encoder I would use just because the signals are different.

Yes, what you have described is a quadrature encoder. This would require
a different (or modified) digital interface. If you look a shumatech.com
there is such a interface. It reads from a quadrature encoder and on the
other end behaves like a chinese scale. That's what uC are for and very
good in. You should have a look at them. Big fun! Sell your
74xxx-collection at eBay. :-)

My scheme for counting can all be done with logic circuits.

The good old TTL-times. Do they still exist in underground? :-))

There is no absolute position from the encoder.

That doesn't matter. The chinese stuff neither has. You always have to
set a reference point.

But coming back to your TTL-grave (as we call it). How's the output? Do
you intend to directly drive 7-segment LEDs (or such)?

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
DIY-DRO - YADRO - Eigenbau-Digitalanzeige