monkers

Default amount of elec.used for welders???

I have had a recent increase in my electric bill (two actually) and was
curious how to find out the amount of electric used for various types
of welders. I have a Lincoln 110v Mig, Lincoln Ideal Arc 250 220v arc
welder, and a Lincoln Square Wave 175 Tig welder, also 220v.
I would like to know how much elec. is used when the machines
are welding at about 50-75% of their duty cycle. Im trying to figure
out how much to charge to make up for the increase.
Thanks, Craig

Don Foreman

On 14 Oct 2005 20:07:45 -0700, "monkers" wrote:

I have had a recent increase in my electric bill (two actually) and was
curious how to find out the amount of electric used for various types
of welders. I have a Lincoln 110v Mig, Lincoln Ideal Arc 250 220v arc
welder, and a Lincoln Square Wave 175 Tig welder, also 220v.
I would like to know how much elec. is used when the machines
are welding at about 50-75% of their duty cycle. Im trying to figure
out how much to charge to make up for the increase.
Thanks, Craig

Sounds like ordering urinanalysis to see if you're thirsty. Charge
enough to cover the increase.

bw

"monkers" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have had a recent increase in my electric bill (two actually) and was
curious how to find out the amount of electric used for various types
of welders. I have a Lincoln 110v Mig, Lincoln Ideal Arc 250 220v arc
welder, and a Lincoln Square Wave 175 Tig welder, also 220v.
I would like to know how much elec. is used when the machines
are welding at about 50-75% of their duty cycle. Im trying to figure
out how much to charge to make up for the increase.
Thanks, Craig

Depends on the work and time.
If 8 hours a day, at 3 kW, then 24 kWh per day. About $3
At 50 percent duty then $1.50

Bruce L. Bergman

On 14 Oct 2005 20:07:45 -0700, "monkers" wrote:

I have had a recent increase in my electric bill (two actually) and was
curious how to find out the amount of electric used for various types
of welders. I have a Lincoln 110v Mig, Lincoln Ideal Arc 250 220v arc
welder, and a Lincoln Square Wave 175 Tig welder, also 220v.
I would like to know how much elec. is used when the machines
are welding at about 50-75% of their duty cycle. Im trying to figure
out how much to charge to make up for the increase.
Thanks, Craig

If you need an exact figure, it's simple and usually inexpensive to
rig up a sub-meter on the welder outlet. Call your local power utility
and ask if they have any old surplus "A-Base" power meters and sockets
they have removed from service, a KWH meter can easily be wired up in
series with your welder receptacle.

This is commonly done in commercial buildings where a tenant wants
to run a load from the House power or another tenant's feed (like a
billboard or sign out near the front of the complex) without
installing yet another power service, or running a very long power
lead from their unit in the back. They can settle their portion of
the bill with the landlord monthly, or for small amounts just total it
up once a year.

(In your case, you might wire it with a cord and cap that matches
the existing welder receptacle, and another cord with a receptacle, so
your welder just plugs in. The meter needs to be mounted vertically,
so make a little portable stand for it.)

One note: if it's a 120/240V KWH meter as most are, you do have to
hook up 240V power to both sides, then you can hook up a 120V
receptacle to one side. If you just run 120V in and out on one side
and leave the other dead, you may not get an accurate reading.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545

RoyJ

As others said, get a meter. To estimate it figure that any of the
welders (MIG or stick) run at about 25 volts (+/-) Multiply by your
welding amperage. Example: 100 amps would be 2500 watts. Running it 100%
for an hour would be 2.5 kwh. Running at 40% duty cycle (that's pushing
it!) would be 1 kwh per hour. Or 200 amps from the Ideal Arc at 75% duty
cycle would be would 3.75kwh per hour. (Hot and fast for that one!) At
$.15 per kwh, you might be able to push any extra $.60 an hour of
electricity though the meter. BTW: the power factor on these machines is
not the greatest, the amperage draw is higher than it should be, but
your power meter only registers the REAL useage.

monkers wrote:
I have had a recent increase in my electric bill (two actually) and was
curious how to find out the amount of electric used for various types
of welders. I have a Lincoln 110v Mig, Lincoln Ideal Arc 250 220v arc
welder, and a Lincoln Square Wave 175 Tig welder, also 220v.
I would like to know how much elec. is used when the machines
are welding at about 50-75% of their duty cycle. Im trying to figure
out how much to charge to make up for the increase.
Thanks, Craig

Ted Edwards

Don Foreman wrote:
On 14 Oct 2005 20:07:45 -0700, "monkers" wrote:

I have had a recent increase in my electric bill (two actually) and was
curious how to find out the amount of electric used for various types
of welders. I have a Lincoln 110v Mig, Lincoln Ideal Arc 250 220v arc
welder, and a Lincoln Square Wave 175 Tig welder, also 220v.
I would like to know how much elec. is used when the machines
are welding at about 50-75% of their duty cycle. Im trying to figure
out how much to charge to make up for the increase.
Thanks, Craig

Sounds like ordering urinanalysis to see if you're thirsty. Charge
enough to cover the increase.

Had to save that one in my Humour collection!

Ted

Jerry Foster

"monkers" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have had a recent increase in my electric bill (two actually) and was
curious how to find out the amount of electric used for various types
of welders. I have a Lincoln 110v Mig, Lincoln Ideal Arc 250 220v arc
welder, and a Lincoln Square Wave 175 Tig welder, also 220v.
I would like to know how much elec. is used when the machines
are welding at about 50-75% of their duty cycle. Im trying to figure
out how much to charge to make up for the increase.
Thanks, Craig

You're asking the wrong question... It's not just the electricity the
welders use, it is your shop's total usage that counts. When you figure
your shop rate, you should base it, in part, on the total cost of operating
the shop. And your total electric bill is part of that. It's not just the
welder, it's the lights, it's the power, perhaps, consumed by the computer
you use to do the billing, etc., etc. And, while you can bill only for the
time you actually spend on the job, you also have to cover the time you
spend dealing with the customers (including those who, in the end, elect not
to purchase your services), the time you spend dealing with salesmen or
driving over to the welding supply for whatever, the time you spend in the
john, etc., etc.

Jerry

monkers

Judging from your answers, the welders are not the source of my all of
a sudden high elec. bill. It jumped the first time and I was told "rate
increase" was the reason, the next billing period it went up another
$200 and they told me to turn off the AC, I told them I dont have one.
Another guy told me there may be a grounded out wire
running from the house to the garage, or garage to shed. He said to
turn off all the breakers except the ones feeding the garage and if the
meter still turns there is a broken wire somewhere. I thought it was
the welders running it up.

Bruce L. Bergman

On 17 Oct 2005 14:10:08 -0700, "monkers" wrote:

Judging from your answers, the welders are not the source of my all of
a sudden high elec. bill. It jumped the first time and I was told "rate
increase" was the reason, the next billing period it went up another
$200 and they told me to turn off the AC, I told them I dont have one.

Well, there are other increased electrical loads associated with
welding that you have to figure for besides the welder. Like the
grinder, drill press, and other power tools, lighting, fans, etc. And
if you use extra water, you have the well pump power used or the
increase in the city water bill.

I doubt they'll do it for a residence, but it is common for
commercial services - check to see if you have an electronic power
meter that has a "Demand Rate" measurement, and if your local utility
is billing extra for demand. That can spike the bill seriously - one
big surge from running the welder can raise your base rate per KWH for
several months until the average maximum demand gets back to normal.

Another guy told me there may be a grounded out wire
running from the house to the garage, or garage to shed. He said to
turn off all the breakers except the ones feeding the garage and if the
meter still turns there is a broken wire somewhere. I thought it was
the welders running it up.

Also check for the extension cord plugged in at the back of your
garage, out the hole in the side wall, ducking under the fence, and
running the light and freezer in the next-door neighbors' utility
shed. I've seen stuff like this done before - Theft Of Energy.