Tony Halmarack

Default Setting amount of gap on window opening?

The windows here are UPVC with the dual position opening.
I've just fitted roller blinds and there's not much chance of using them
when the side hinged opening option is in use but it'd be nice to have a
clear drop for the blind when the windows are hinging at the bottom and
opening inward at the top.
Trouble is, the windows open inward too far and looking at the integral
metal stay that limits the opening amount, there doesn't seem to be any
shortening adjustment available. Can anyone tell me if I'm missing an
obvious way to adjust the degree of opening?

I suppose I could put a folding window stop in the reveal but I'd rather
minimise the bits and pieces of external hardware if possible.
If it's going to have to be the external stop, can anyone please tell me
where I can buy the folding brass type. or what the proper name for them
is?

--
Tony Halmarack
BigWallop

"Tony Halmarack" wrote in message
[...]

A piece of small link chain cut to the length you need with a couple of nice
washers or screw caps and a couple of small self tapping screws, long enough
to go through the washer the chain and not to far through the UPVc. Fit one
end of chain to the surface of the outer frame and the other end to opening
frame. Now the window can't be opened any further than chain allows.

---
BigWallop

http://basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Tony Halmarack

On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 14:56:23 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

A piece of small link chain cut to the length you need with a couple of nice
washers or screw caps and a couple of small self tapping screws, long enough
to go through the washer the chain and not to far through the UPVc. Fit one
end of chain to the surface of the outer frame and the other end to opening
frame. Now the window can't be opened any further than chain allows.

---
BigWallop

That's an interesting possibility, with some adjustment potential. Thanks
for the tip.
--
Tony Halmarack
alex

I assume you are talking tilt and turn windows,There is a safety issue hear
if you use some form of stay to restrict the opening you will also restrict
the ability to open window in emergency.

Have been all round this one with customers who hate these type of windows,
there is no way round it leave it as designed or change the window style.The
consequences could be severe

BigWallop

"alex" wrote in message
I assume you are talking tilt and turn windows,There is a safety issue

hear
if you use some form of stay to restrict the opening you will also

restrict
the ability to open window in emergency.

Have been all round this one with customers who hate these type of

windows,
there is no way round it leave it as designed or change the window

style.The
consequences could be severe

But if the chain is fitted on the hinge side, then it wont restrict the
window from opening right up like a door, it'll only restrict it from
tilting in as far. Your thoughts are not thought out enough me'thinks.

Owain

"Tony Halmarack" wrote
| I assume you are talking tilt and turn windows,
| Phew! Yes! I was wondering if readers would recognize the type of
| window from my description....
| In many ways these are the best windows I've ever lived with. Lots of
| light, low maintenance and from an aesthetic viewpoint they complement my
| melamine furniture and avocado bathroom suite perfectly. The conflict with
| the roller blinds is minor and temporary.

A possible way round this is to mount the roller blind on the top bar of the
window rather than on the frame, so the window can be tilted in as much as
is wanted.

A couple of strong magnetic fasteners mounted on the bottom bar of the
window, with associated metal bits on the bottom of the blind, will hold the
blind bottom close in to the frame and stop it swinging about.

Owain

Tony Halmarack

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 14:44:53 +0100, "Owain"
wrote:

"Tony Halmarack" wrote
| I assume you are talking tilt and turn windows,
| Phew! Yes! I was wondering if readers would recognize the type of
| window from my description....
| In many ways these are the best windows I've ever lived with. Lots of
| light, low maintenance and from an aesthetic viewpoint they complement my
| melamine furniture and avocado bathroom suite perfectly. The conflict with
| the roller blinds is minor and temporary.

A possible way round this is to mount the roller blind on the top bar of the
window rather than on the frame, so the window can be tilted in as much as
is wanted.

A couple of strong magnetic fasteners mounted on the bottom bar of the
window, with associated metal bits on the bottom of the blind, will hold the
blind bottom close in to the frame and stop it swinging about.

Owain

What a good idea! I'd never have thought of that. It would certainly
overcome the main problem and the magnet idea would keep the dangly bits
out of the kitchen sink.

--
Tony Halmarack