Bruce L. Bergman

Default amount of elec.used for welders???

On 17 Oct 2005 14:10:08 -0700, "monkers" wrote:

Judging from your answers, the welders are not the source of my all of
a sudden high elec. bill. It jumped the first time and I was told "rate
increase" was the reason, the next billing period it went up another
$200 and they told me to turn off the AC, I told them I dont have one.

Well, there are other increased electrical loads associated with
welding that you have to figure for besides the welder. Like the
grinder, drill press, and other power tools, lighting, fans, etc. And
if you use extra water, you have the well pump power used or the
increase in the city water bill.

I doubt they'll do it for a residence, but it is common for
commercial services - check to see if you have an electronic power
meter that has a "Demand Rate" measurement, and if your local utility
is billing extra for demand. That can spike the bill seriously - one
big surge from running the welder can raise your base rate per KWH for
several months until the average maximum demand gets back to normal.

Another guy told me there may be a grounded out wire
running from the house to the garage, or garage to shed. He said to
turn off all the breakers except the ones feeding the garage and if the
meter still turns there is a broken wire somewhere. I thought it was
the welders running it up.

Also check for the extension cord plugged in at the back of your
garage, out the hole in the side wall, ducking under the fence, and
running the light and freezer in the next-door neighbors' utility
shed. I've seen stuff like this done before - Theft Of Energy.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545