DoN. Nichols

Default Crimping large cable lugs without a crimper

According to Ignoramus25589 :
I will soon need to crimp many terminals on many short, but thick, 1
gauge or 0 gauge cables.

0 (1-0) gauge uses the larger of the two AMP hydraulic crimp
heads, and the smallest set of dies to fit it. (Total range -- 1-0
though 4-0)

Hmm 1 gauge? The smaller of the two AMP hydraulic crimp heads
covers #8, #6, #4, and #2. I don't know of one for #1 at all. Are you
sure that it exists?

The larger head is either powered by a hand pumped (or foot
pumped hydraulic system capable of 10,000 PSI, like the porta-power
units, or by an electrically powered pump which cycles to maximum
pressure and then releases automatically.

The smaller head can be powered by the same, or is available with
a hand-operated pump built in.

Crimpers are just too expensive.

It depends on how long you watch eBay, waiting for what you
want. I have (hydraulic) crimpers and dies for #8 through 3-0, and am
still waiting for the 4-0 dies to show up. I also have the purely
mechanical crimpers for similar terminals down through #26 or #28 IIRC.

Is there some way to get acceptable crimps without a crimper.

Acceptable to whom? They would certainly not qualify for
mil-spec work. (I'm assuming that you're talking about the PIDG style
crimp terminals, which have a collar which grips the insulation.)

If you have a hydraulic press, and can develop around 31,000
pounds (I think) with it, you could make holders and guides for the dies
for the AMP for up to the 4-0 terminals. Then, all you would need to
find on eBay is the dies themselves.

I guess, also, that I could buy one on ebay and later sell it, but I
would prefer to avoid that.

With the sizes which you are talking about, I think that you
will need two crimp heads, to cover your stated requirements -- assuming
that you can find dies for #1 wire terminals. AMP does not list them
for the crimpers which I have, at least.

If you already have a porta-power, you can use that to drive the
heads.

Here is an example of the hand-held one for the smaller dies
(#8-#2), though it it in an eBay "store" and is *way* over what I paid.
Auction number: 7548679099. The second photo will show you what a pair
of the dies looks like. The red tape around one of the handles is
intended to show that it is loaded with dies for #8 (or #2, which have
the same color). #6 is blue, and #4 is yellow.

I've gotten similar crimpers for as little as $15.00 at a
hamfest -- with one set of dies in it.

AHA -- here is a much more reasonable one which was missed by my
first quick search:

7553590509

And that one is even the later model of the hand-pumped crimper. Still
the wrong dies for your application. It has the #6, and you need the #2
(the closest to #1 that I know of). This one is at only $25.00 with
about 11+ hours to go as I post.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
DoN. Nichols

According to Ignoramus25589 :
On 14 Oct 2005 04:28:44 GMT, DoN. Nichols wrote:

DoN, thanks for the first part of your post. I have a better idea
now.

AHA -- here is a much more reasonable one which was missed by my
first quick search:

7553590509

And that one is even the later model of the hand-pumped crimper. Still
the wrong dies for your application. It has the #6, and you need the #2
(the closest to #1 that I know of). This one is at only $25.00 with
about 11+ hours to go as I post.

Very nice. I would like to know if these dies are easy to find. I may
bid a small amount for that item...

Some are easier than others, though it usually takes a while to
find the particular ones which you are looking for. I've been looking
for the 4-0 set for a few years now. The smaller dies (#8-#2) are
somewhat easier to find, as are the crimpers for them.

I wound up bidding on (and winning) a second smaller hydraulic
crimper, just to get several sizes of dies to complete my set.

Come to think of it -- I believe that I have spares of some of
the dies -- but it is too late to go down and check that right now.

I don't know
whether you looked at the first one that I found, but they wanted a
buy-it-now of $750.00 for that one. :-) *Way* out of reach. :-)

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
carl mciver

"Ignoramus25589" wrote in message
| On 14 Oct 2005 04:28:44 GMT, DoN. Nichols wrote:
|
| DoN, thanks for the first part of your post. I have a better idea
| now.
|
| AHA -- here is a much more reasonable one which was missed by my
| first quick search:
|
| 7553590509
|
| And that one is even the later model of the hand-pumped crimper. Still
| the wrong dies for your application. It has the #6, and you need the #2
| (the closest to #1 that I know of). This one is at only $25.00 with
| about 11+ hours to go as I post.
|
| Very nice. I would like to know if these dies are easy to find. I may
| bid a small amount for that item...

I use this tool all the time at work. Very cool tool, but you need a
set of dies to go with it. Ours were certified for aerospace work, and as
such had to be certified with the dies serialized to go with it and all
that.
You'll learn soon that you must retract the ram completely before you
open it up, and don't forget to put the pin in before you start pumping, or
you will need a big press to get it apart again. Since there's not anything
holding the wire in the terminal while you pump, you have to keep an eye on
it despite needing full torque from both arms while pumping.

Don Murray

DoN. Nichols wrote:

Hmm 1 gauge? The smaller of the two AMP hydraulic crimp heads
covers #8, #6, #4, and #2. I don't know of one for #1 at all. Are you
sure that it exists?

Yes it exists.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

ButI can not read what die takes.
Don

Martin H. Eastburn

The high tech wire we used was 3/4" diameter 1000 strand and would bend in a 4" radius.
It took the 500 amp -2v current to the buss. (where others showed up)

Makes great jumper cables - so I am told. I got a harness, but the good stuff was gone.
I got away with the 3/8" and 1/2" stuff. Have some fantastic 10 ga size that carries current!

Long lost the manufacturer of this very flexible and very high current wire. Using some
in the current (high current that is) project now.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

DoN. Nichols wrote:
[...]

Ned Simmons

In article ,
says...
The high tech wire we used was 3/4" diameter 1000 strand and would bend in a 4" radius.
It took the 500 amp -2v current to the buss. (where others showed up)

Maybe DLO, Diesel Locomotive Cable?

http://www.elektrimna.com/DLO.html

I used several parallel strands of the 777 MCM size on a
project that required a flexible connection to carry 7500A
@ 15V. For the last 2 feet all the current ran thru a water
cooled jumper, much like the power cable on a water cooled
TIG torch, that was about the size of your finger. We
monitored the water flow very closely.

Ned Simmons
Spehro Pefhany

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:55:12 -0500, the renowned "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

The high tech wire we used was 3/4" diameter 1000 strand and would bend in a 4" radius.
It took the 500 amp -2v current to the buss. (where others showed up)

Makes great jumper cables - so I am told. I got a harness, but the good stuff was gone.
I got away with the 3/8" and 1/2" stuff. Have some fantastic 10 ga size that carries current!

Long lost the manufacturer of this very flexible and very high current wire. Using some
in the current (high current that is) project now.

I ran into some info on using fine stranded power cable (eg. for
wiring up solar cell arrays), but didn't save the link. Apparently,
the crimp is lot more critical than with coarsly stranded wire-- if
you don't practically mush all the strands together into solid metal
it can fail catastrophically fairly easily.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
DoN. Nichols

According to Ignoramus3498 :
Don, thank you, I won that auction.

Congratulations -- that is a nice price.

I will try to look for proper dies
for them, mostly #1, #2, $4 etc.

You won't *find* #1 dies. They are not part of the series. For
that one, the choices are #8, #6, #4 and #2 -- *only*.

You also won't find crimp *terminals* specific for #1.

I think that the #2 will suffice for the #1 as well. In the
smaller sizes, #16 (yellow) will also handle #14, and #10 (blue) will
also handle #12. (And the next smaller size, red, is rated for #22-#16.
The range seems to get smaller as the wire gets bigger.

The bigger crimp heads (separate hydraulic only -- you have to
connect to your own pump if one is not part of the auction) are the #0
(1-0), 2-0, 3-0 and 4-0 -- all with separate dies for the same crimp
head.

I just went down, and while I find the hydraulic heads, and the
pumps easily enough, I don't find the container with the dies and the
matching terminals. I'll have to try another time -- perhaps during the
day instead of after 1:00 am, when I hit the newsgroup and see your
postings, Perhaps a direct e-mail instead of a posting might get to me
in time to go down in the daylight.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
DoN. Nichols

According to Don Murray :

DoN. Nichols wrote:

Hmm 1 gauge? The smaller of the two AMP hydraulic crimp heads
covers #8, #6, #4, and #2. I don't know of one for #1 at all. Are you
sure that it exists?

Yes it exists.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

ButI can not read what die takes.

Hmm ... Bundy -- yet another maker. AMP and T&B are fairly
interchangeable in the pre-insulated terminals.

These look like they are un-insulate (just a color coding layer
on the outside), so perhaps a #2 die would work well on these without
the insulation. The starting bid is certainly attractive.

Thanks for the pointer -- I suspect that Igor should go for
these terminals, as he is likely to have to pay that *each* for ones
bought from a store. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
carl mciver

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
| According to Don Murray :
|

| DoN. Nichols wrote:
|

| Hmm 1 gauge? The smaller of the two AMP hydraulic crimp heads
| covers #8, #6, #4, and #2. I don't know of one for #1 at all. Are
you
| sure that it exists?
|

| Yes it exists.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=1&sspage nam
e=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

| ButI can not read what die takes.
|
| Hmm ... Bundy -- yet another maker. AMP and T&B are fairly
| interchangeable in the pre-insulated terminals.
|
| These look like they are un-insulate (just a color coding layer
| on the outside), so perhaps a #2 die would work well on these without
| the insulation. The starting bid is certainly attractive.
|
| Thanks for the pointer -- I suspect that Igor should go for
| these terminals, as he is likely to have to pay that *each* for ones
| bought from a store. :-)
|
| Enjoy,
| DoN.

I get my large terminals from a battery store; my local has all the
large sizes, in copper and some in tin plated copper. The marine stuff gets
really big, and the batteries equally big. Those I buy are uninsulated,
which is fine for me. I use a hammer crimper and sleeve them afterwards.
The insulated AMP terminals require a special crimper made for them, hence
the above tooling. Quality insulated terminals of that size range all
pretty much conform to the same standard, so any crimper made for insulated
terminals of a specific gauge will work with them.
If you look around the outside of the stud hole you'll see the numbers
that relate to the stud size for all terminals, insulated or not.
I don't think you'll see that kind of terminal used much on welding
cable, they usually tend to be bare since insulation isn't really necessary.
Insulated stuff is more expense than its worth.

Martin H. Eastburn

Nope - it was something else - searched and still can't find it.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Ned Simmons wrote:
In article ,
says...

The high tech wire we used was 3/4" diameter 1000 strand and would bend in a 4" radius.
It took the 500 amp -2v current to the buss. (where others showed up)

Maybe DLO, Diesel Locomotive Cable?

http://www.elektrimna.com/DLO.html

I used several parallel strands of the 777 MCM size on a
project that required a flexible connection to carry 7500A
@ 15V. For the last 2 feet all the current ran thru a water
cooled jumper, much like the power cable on a water cooled
TIG torch, that was about the size of your finger. We
monitored the water flow very closely.

Ned Simmons

Martin H. Eastburn

Might be - Suspect it had to be a gas tight fit. The copper was really pure to be
so supple.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

wrote:

The high tech wire we used was 3/4" diameter 1000 strand and would bend in a 4" radius.
It took the 500 amp -2v current to the buss. (where others showed up)

Makes great jumper cables - so I am told. I got a harness, but the good stuff was gone.
I got away with the 3/8" and 1/2" stuff. Have some fantastic 10 ga size that carries current!

Long lost the manufacturer of this very flexible and very high current wire. Using some
in the current (high current that is) project now.

I ran into some info on using fine stranded power cable (eg. for
wiring up solar cell arrays), but didn't save the link. Apparently,
the crimp is lot more critical than with coarsly stranded wire-- if
you don't practically mush all the strands together into solid metal
it can fail catastrophically fairly easily.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

DoN. Nichols

According to xray :
On 15 Oct 2005 05:20:55 GMT, (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

In the
smaller sizes, #16 (yellow) will also handle #14, and #10 (blue) will
also handle #12. (And the next smaller size, red, is rated for #22-#16.
The range seems to get smaller as the wire gets bigger.

I think you are talking about the color codes on the terminals?

Correct. Those are pretty much standardized now.

I was
just looking in my junk box tonight for some terminals to use on 12 Ga
wire. Yellow seemed to be the answer, but I only found a couple --
plenty of red and blue. Oh, well.

Yep. It depends on how much you collect at hamfests and other
such places. I'll give the sizes which I know (based on the rating of
the AMP crimpers for them).

26-22 Yellow (quite rare, and I'm not positive of this range)
22-16 Red
16-14 Blue

12-10 Yellow
8 Red
6 Blue

4 Yellow
2 Red
1-0 Blue

2-0 Yellow
3-0 Red
4-0 Blue

As you can see, there is a cycle of three colors -- just enough so you
can tell by eye when it is the next size up or down and obviously does
not fit.

Note that the AMP crimpers up to the 12-10 size tend to have the
ends of the handles painted the color to match the dies built into them.
(Often they have been used so long that the colors are still present
only inside the handles. :-)

Anyway -- the crimpers for the blue (16-14) terminals have one
handle blue, and the other green -- though I have never seen green
insulated terminals in that size range.

So I think maybe you got the gages and the colors confused -

Yep -- when I went back to add the colors in I put them in the
wrong place. Thanks for spotting that.

- or maybe
there is something else going on that I don't know about. If the codes
on my wimpy cheap cripmer are correct, red is 22-18, blue 16-14 and
yellow 12-10.

As I said above -- the AMP crimpers for (small) red are stamped
22-16 -- the only one which I know of for sure to have an overlap (with
the red). Though I *think* that the tiny yellow does overlap with the
red (at 22 Ga), but I don't feel like going down to the shop to check at
this hour.

And -- in the big hydraulic driven crimpers (#8 and larger),
there is a drilled dot on each half of the dies filled with the matching
color paint to the insulation of the terminals. And those emboss the
gauge in the insulation when the crimping is done, so the inspection
staff can verify that the right crimper was used. In the smaller sizes,
the dies emboss either one or two dots on each side of the crimp for
size verification, as the gauge number would be too small to easily
read.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |

Crimping large cable lugs without a crimper Pete Metalworking 0 October 14th 05 03:36 AM
Crimping large cable lugs without a crimper Christopher Tidy Metalworking 0 October 13th 05 11:10 PM
Crimping large cable lugs without a crimper Bob AZ Metalworking 0 October 13th 05 10:44 PM
Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
A challenge for old house lovers Mike Mitchell UK diy 322 September 30th 04 12:29 AM