Spehro Pefhany

Default Crimping large cable lugs without a crimper

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:55:12 -0500, the renowned "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

The high tech wire we used was 3/4" diameter 1000 strand and would bend in a 4" radius.
It took the 500 amp -2v current to the buss. (where others showed up)

Makes great jumper cables - so I am told. I got a harness, but the good stuff was gone.
I got away with the 3/8" and 1/2" stuff. Have some fantastic 10 ga size that carries current!

Long lost the manufacturer of this very flexible and very high current wire. Using some
in the current (high current that is) project now.

I ran into some info on using fine stranded power cable (eg. for
wiring up solar cell arrays), but didn't save the link. Apparently,
the crimp is lot more critical than with coarsly stranded wire-- if
you don't practically mush all the strands together into solid metal
it can fail catastrophically fairly easily.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany