carl mciver

Default Crimping large cable lugs without a crimper

"Ignoramus25589" wrote in message
| On 14 Oct 2005 04:28:44 GMT, DoN. Nichols wrote:
|
| DoN, thanks for the first part of your post. I have a better idea
| now.
|
| AHA -- here is a much more reasonable one which was missed by my
| first quick search:
|
| 7553590509
|
| And that one is even the later model of the hand-pumped crimper. Still
| the wrong dies for your application. It has the #6, and you need the #2
| (the closest to #1 that I know of). This one is at only $25.00 with
| about 11+ hours to go as I post.
|
| Very nice. I would like to know if these dies are easy to find. I may
| bid a small amount for that item...

I use this tool all the time at work. Very cool tool, but you need a
set of dies to go with it. Ours were certified for aerospace work, and as
such had to be certified with the dies serialized to go with it and all
that.
You'll learn soon that you must retract the ram completely before you
open it up, and don't forget to put the pin in before you start pumping, or
you will need a big press to get it apart again. Since there's not anything
holding the wire in the terminal while you pump, you have to keep an eye on
it despite needing full torque from both arms while pumping.