carl mciver

Default Crimping large cable lugs without a crimper

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
| According to Don Murray :
|

| DoN. Nichols wrote:
|

| Hmm 1 gauge? The smaller of the two AMP hydraulic crimp heads
| covers #8, #6, #4, and #2. I don't know of one for #1 at all. Are
you
| sure that it exists?
|

| Yes it exists.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=1&sspage nam
e=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

| ButI can not read what die takes.
|
| Hmm ... Bundy -- yet another maker. AMP and T&B are fairly
| interchangeable in the pre-insulated terminals.
|
| These look like they are un-insulate (just a color coding layer
| on the outside), so perhaps a #2 die would work well on these without
| the insulation. The starting bid is certainly attractive.
|
| Thanks for the pointer -- I suspect that Igor should go for
| these terminals, as he is likely to have to pay that *each* for ones
| bought from a store. :-)
|
| Enjoy,
| DoN.

I get my large terminals from a battery store; my local has all the
large sizes, in copper and some in tin plated copper. The marine stuff gets
really big, and the batteries equally big. Those I buy are uninsulated,
which is fine for me. I use a hammer crimper and sleeve them afterwards.
The insulated AMP terminals require a special crimper made for them, hence
the above tooling. Quality insulated terminals of that size range all
pretty much conform to the same standard, so any crimper made for insulated
terminals of a specific gauge will work with them.
If you look around the outside of the stud hole you'll see the numbers
that relate to the stud size for all terminals, insulated or not.
I don't think you'll see that kind of terminal used much on welding
cable, they usually tend to be bare since insulation isn't really necessary.
Insulated stuff is more expense than its worth.