SteveB

Default Chainsaw redux

Well, I jumped on a Husky from Norwalk Power Equipment Company. A good
price with two extra chains. I also got the package deal of case, files,
safety helmet, extra scabbards, oil, bar oil, etc, and OF COURSE, a Husky T
shirt. I didn't get the chaps, though. It was ordered this afternoon, and
is already on the truck. They sent me a tracking number. Pretty fast
turnaround.

We leave for the cabin tomorrow AM, so I will not get to use it this
weekend. We will be putting out some property markers. Probably take it up
there next weekend and try it out. We are attending a show at Southern Utah
University where a friend of mine is exhibiting. He knaps for museums, and
is an authority on Indian weaponry and techniques. It will be very
interesting, and good to see him again.

Thanks to all who made suggestions and who have been teaching me more than I
want to know about sharpening.

I got the 345 model 16" bar. I think it will handle what I want to do very
easily, and leave me some room in case I want to go after bigger game.

Steve

Laszlo Nemeth

SteveB wrote:
Well, I jumped on a Husky from Norwalk Power Equipment Company. A good
price with two extra chains. I also got the package deal of case, files,
safety helmet, extra scabbards, oil, bar oil, etc, and OF COURSE, a Husky T
shirt. I didn't get the chaps, though. It was ordered this afternoon, and

get the chaps. they get abused by me alot.

laz

Agreed. I wear chaps even when I'm cutting at waist height on a
sawbuck, just to keep the chips out of my steel toed boots. In the
woods they have protected my shins mainly from thorns, the splinters on
the stump and cut-off branches that snapped free.

jw

Ken Sterling

Agreed. I wear chaps even when I'm cutting at waist height on a
sawbuck, just to keep the chips out of my steel toed boots. In the
woods they have protected my shins mainly from thorns, the splinters on
the stump and cut-off branches that snapped free.

jw

Chaps *are* good protection - however, everytime I put them on, I get
the urge to wear my cowboy had and "rassle a few 'em steers". ;-)
Ken.

Ecnerwal

Just do your family a favor and get your will in order - you never know
when you'll go, so you should do that anyway. If you saw without chaps
and you get that wee tiny thing they call a femoral artery, you won't
have time to sort it out before you bleed out. Naturally, none of you
ever have accidents.

granpaw

Naw kid we all have accidents..The first thing anyone should learn in
wood cutting is safety...with or without extra devices.
Chaps...hell AFAIAC they just add to the crap that gets into a cut if
you get one..and make any movement a lot harder if you really get into
the woods, I ain't talking about a golf course or somebodys back yard
that needs a dam "landscaper" I'm talking about the WOODS...
Femoral artery??...Hell if you get that wee tiny thing called an SUV
upside your minivan you could get dead too.
I have a totally blind brother in law that saws hardwood tops for
firewood, now that's scary!...you ought to see him operate a buzz saw.

Ken Cutt

Don Foreman wrote:

I have never seen anyone wearing chaps while cutting wood in MN. I
cut a buncha wood today with my sissysaw (14"), but only a little of
it was over 13" dia.

Leg protection is mandatory for all Commercial Fallers or any other
commercial operation working in B.C and I bet everywhere else . Most
Pros wear what looks like jeans but has the pads built into them . So
you might see someone wearing them and not know it . Chaps are fine if
adjusted properly . They twist if worn too loose and then don't protect
as they should . Really they are there to protect your knees more than
anything . Knees being a lot more expensive to fix then a quad . In fact
a big saw can go right through them if the throttle is held open . They
are designed to snag and slow a saw with the throttle released . For a
nice weather day out cutting firewood you can MAYBE get away with out
them your entire life , but when its your job and you are out there in
bad weather on steep terrain the eventually the odds are you will get
tagged . In fact when you wear full protection every day you no longer
notice you even have it on . A very common incident the chaps protect
you from is the dogs . They are always next to your thigh whether the
saw is running or not and moving around on hilly ground sooner or later
you slip . Like any safety gear in any field , a nuisance till you need
it then it's literally worth your life .
Ken Cutt
Gunner Asch

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 01:20:11 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 13:59:09 GMT, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On 30 Sep 2005 15:15:55 -0700, wrote:

Agreed. I wear chaps even when I'm cutting at waist height on a
sawbuck, just to keep the chips out of my steel toed boots. In the
woods they have protected my shins mainly from thorns, the splinters on
the stump and cut-off branches that snapped free.

jw

Sounds like a bunch of Village People wanna be's here

Gunner, ducking and running

Village People wearing chaps?

http://www.redondochamber.org/10k/pr...e%20People.jpg

http://www.fgra.org/events.htm

Chuckle

I have never seen anyone wearing chaps while cutting wood in MN. I
cut a buncha wood today with my sissysaw (14"), but only a little of
it was over 13" dia.

August in October today (80's) but windy -- whitecaps on the lake. I
fished a little but no bumps; I think the lake has turned over. It
doesn't smell like turnover but the wind could mask that; it does
look turned. Duck hunters had a tough opener: weather was too nice.

Martin H. Eastburn

There was a picture of the local Indian tribe putting on their chaps and all
to get to cut the trees and brush back due to the storm that ripped through
their part of the country. When there are heavy thorn vines and the 3 or 4" long
thorn of local trees - up and down the trunks (Honey Locust) - anything is better than pants.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

wrote:

[...]

Martin H. Eastburn

I plan on getting a pair to weld with. Chaps with open backs for cooling.
Keeps the hot balls out of the boots.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Ken Cutt wrote:
Don Foreman wrote:

[...]

Gunner Asch

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 22:03:17 -0500, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

I plan on getting a pair to weld with. Chaps with open backs for cooling.
Keeps the hot balls out of the boots.

I understand as you get older..that can happen.

Gunner

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Ken Cutt wrote:
Don Foreman wrote:

[...]

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to
clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are
so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry
Ken Sterling

wrote:

[...]

HeeHee.... Honey locust is one of them thar trees that oughta be
"burned in place" G Nastiest thing I have ever seen....
Ken.

Not me, man. I'll wear very dark work clothes and be the Key Grip or
the Gaffer, but not a performer.

jw

granpaw

wrote:

I plan on getting a pair to weld with. Chaps with open backs for cooling.
Keeps the hot balls out of the boots.

I understand as you get older..that can happen.

Gunner

Yeah and it's a b*tch!

granpaw

~Roy

I can see leather chaps for welding but certaily would not want the
typical type chaps used for chainsaws..........most if not all are
made out of ballistic nylon and padded with kevlar or some other
material that will ball up and jamb in the saws chain. Don;t think
either mateiral will go to well with sparks and weld splatters.

Leather on the other hand does not do well at stopping a chain saw
effectively.

wrote:

===I plan on getting a pair to weld with. Chaps with open backs for cooling.
===Keeps the hot balls out of the boots.
===
===Martin
===Martin Eastburn
===@ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net
===NRA LOH, NRA Life
===NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder
===
===
===
===Ken Cutt wrote:
=== Don Foreman wrote:
===
[...]
===----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
===http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
===----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

"The original frugal ponder"
~Roy

Honey Locust is a piece of cake as compared to mock orange (osage
Orange). Osage is terrible stuff, not only for its thorns but once cut
and it dries almost overnight, you almost need a cutting torch to cut
it up if you let it lay for awhile.

===Don Foreman wrote:
=== On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 13:59:09 GMT, Gunner Asch
=== wrote:
===
===
[...]

Martin H. Eastburn

I actually thinking of going down to the Farm and Ranch supply and getting real ones.
I think they will look better if a customer comes by and will deflect as well as welding ones.
Welding ones are normally raw leather.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

wrote:

===I plan on getting a pair to weld with. Chaps with open backs for cooling.
===Keeps the hot balls out of the boots.
===
===Martin
===Martin Eastburn
===@ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net
===NRA LOH, NRA Life
===NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder
===
===
===
===Ken Cutt wrote: