Junior Member

Default heavy duty wheels for toolbox

hi all

i need some really heavy duty wheels to roll around my toolbox
can ya all recommend some wheels to me

provide me with website if ya can

my box prolly around a bit over 1000 lbs now

thanks all
Grant Erwin

feenyX2 wrote:

hi all

i need some really heavy duty wheels to roll around my toolbox
can ya all recommend some wheels to me

provide me with website if ya can

my box prolly around a bit over 1000 lbs now

thanks all

http://www.cheapcasters.com I got the 6" steel ones - GWE
Rex B

Grant Erwin wrote:
feenyX2 wrote:

hi all

i need some really heavy duty wheels to roll around my toolbox
can ya all recommend some wheels to me

provide me with website if ya can
my box prolly around a bit over 1000 lbs now
thanks all

http://www.cheapcasters.com I got the 6" steel ones - GWE

Those prices don't look that cheap to me. I've bought casters cheaper at
Northern Tool and at HF. They work fine under my machines.

Rex
Koz

Rex B wrote:

Grant Erwin wrote:

feenyX2 wrote:

hi all

i need some really heavy duty wheels to roll around my toolbox
can ya all recommend some wheels to me

provide me with website if ya can
my box prolly around a bit over 1000 lbs now
thanks all

http://www.cheapcasters.com I got the 6" steel ones - GWE

Those prices don't look that cheap to me. I've bought casters cheaper
at Northern Tool and at HF. They work fine under my machines.

Rex

Yea, those chinese casters mostly work. Good casters cost though and
there IS a difference (I aint got a clue if cheapcasters are any good
but MSC does have some good ones) Although I do generally go cheap
chinese, there are times when the good USA versions (which DO empty your
wallet) are worth it. I look at it the same way I look at tools in
general: Dollar store tool? Yea maybe for some things that don't
really matter much but a good one I only have to buy once.

A 1000 pound tool box which may be carrying $ 20,000 in tools deserves
some really good casters. Expect to pay about 70 bucks a piece and
expect to be happy with that cost 40 years from now when it is still
rolling just fine.

Koz (who has seen dozens of the cheap casters collapse on cusstomer's
equipment)

Rex B

Koz wrote:
Yea, those chinese casters mostly work. Good casters cost though and
there IS a difference (I aint got a clue if cheapcasters are any good
but MSC does have some good ones) Although I do generally go cheap
chinese, there are times when the good USA versions (which DO empty your
wallet) are worth it. I look at it the same way I look at tools in
general: Dollar store tool? Yea maybe for some things that don't
really matter much but a good one I only have to buy once.

A 1000 pound tool box which may be carrying $ 20,000 in tools deserves
some really good casters. Expect to pay about 70 bucks a piece and
expect to be happy with that cost 40 years from now when it is still
rolling just fine.

Koz (who has seen dozens of the cheap casters collapse on cusstomer's
equipment)

In my case, I'm just trying to get all my shop furniture mobile, so I'm
spending ing $20 per piece to do that. I'll probably get better casters
for the Enco lathe, but the rest should do fine on the cheapies.
OTOH, shouldn't a Chinese lathe have Chinese casters??

Rex B

On this subject, I bought one of those machinery mover things from
Homier. It's a square frame about 2x2 feet with 2 wheels at the rear.
The front single wheel is on an over-center foot pedal to raise it into
place so the platform will roll. It works pretty slick, but after about
a week under my 55-gallon drum parts washer, it basically fell apart.
I'd like to find a hardier version of that for things like my tire
machine and balancer. I don't think a tire machine would do well on
casters

Any good sources on a better device like the above?

Rex
Koz

Rex B wrote:

Koz wrote:

[...]

Doin the same here with cheepo harbor freights. They're lousy and a
pain but stuff doesn't really move enough to justify better for 90% of
things. However, for anything critical or really heavy, do dig deeper
into your wallet. Nothing worse than one sticky caster that
unexpectedly jams while moving that lathe and it's inertia....

If it's a chinese lathe, it should be equipped with 12 chinese guys who
make $ 80 a month to just muscle it into place using old 2 x 4s

Koz (who is often amazed at what an army of those chinese guys can move
when there is no forklift available)

damn..had to get a last word in...we installed a huge piece of equipment
in China without a forklift once....ground was muddy so they piped the
freezer to freeze the ground and pulled the equipment into the plant
using donkeys and old pipes as rollers. Interesting that they were
happy to spend several hundred grand on the machine but a simple
forklift was a far out idea to them. ("Why would we need one of those?")

Koz

Rex B wrote:

On this subject, I bought one of those machinery mover things from
Homier. It's a square frame about 2x2 feet with 2 wheels at the rear.
The front single wheel is on an over-center foot pedal to raise it
into place so the platform will roll. It works pretty slick, but after
about a week under my 55-gallon drum parts washer, it basically fell
apart. I'd like to find a hardier version of that for things like my
tire machine and balancer. I don't think a tire machine would do well
on casters

Any good sources on a better device like the above?

Rex

I found the style you mentioned to be a pain in the neck. The one I have
is heavy enough but I hate the "tilt to move" thing.

Grizzly machine roller bases are pretty danged sturdy but they all use a
screw down system that just isnt enough to keep equipment from moving on
a smooth floor. They probably work better if you have a rough surface.

I have seen the onces where pushing a pedal lowers the wheel (each wheel
seperately) and that seems to be a fairly good system..things don't move
when the wheels are up and levelers are in place while the wheels
aren't. It also seems ot be a little pricey and I doubt they would work
with heavier stuff.

If you find a good balance between sturdy and price, let us all know.
Invent one and people will probably be lining up at your door.

Rex B

Koz wrote:
I found the style you mentioned to be a pain in the neck. The one I have
is heavy enough but I hate the "tilt to move" thing.

Grizzly machine roller bases are pretty danged sturdy but they all use a
screw down system that just isnt enough to keep equipment from moving on
a smooth floor. They probably work better if you have a rough surface.
I have seen the onces where pushing a pedal lowers the wheel (each wheel
seperately) and that seems to be a fairly good system..things don't move
when the wheels are up and levelers are in place while the wheels
aren't. It also seems ot be a little pricey and I doubt they would work
with heavier stuff.

If you find a good balance between sturdy and price, let us all know.
Invent one and people will probably be lining up at your door.

Well, here's what I'll probably do for the tire machine:
Bolt the floor-mounting ears to 2x2 square tubing that extends 2" past
the base at each end. Complete the square by bolting two more 2x2s on
top of those, with a single through-bolt to a welded nut. Casters
fastened to 4 outboard upper ends. throughbolt connectors to have enough
additional threads to exceed the height the casters raise the machine.
To lower and park, unscrew the bolts enough to let the machine down. To
raise and move, tighten the bolts, pulling the 2x2s back together and
raising the machine.
I'll have to adjust this some to make room for the pedals and the
side bead-breaker. For something like a mill-drill, a simple rectangle
around the base would do.
..
Typical Materials would be

~12-ft 2x2 heavy wall tubing.
4 3/4" USS 6" bolts, with nuts and washers.
4 3" steel or cast iron casters

I'll probably do this with my Enco 1024 lathe, but I don't know that I'd
have to make it where it lowers. I think just a frame on casters would
do, as long as the frame was rigid
carl mciver

"Koz" wrote in message
SNIP|

| Yea, those chinese casters mostly work. Good casters cost though and
| there IS a difference (I aint got a clue if cheapcasters are any good
| but MSC does have some good ones) Although I do generally go cheap
| chinese, there are times when the good USA versions (which DO empty your
| wallet) are worth it. I look at it the same way I look at tools in
| general: Dollar store tool? Yea maybe for some things that don't
| really matter much but a good one I only have to buy once.
|
| A 1000 pound tool box which may be carrying $ 20,000 in tools deserves
| some really good casters. Expect to pay about 70 bucks a piece and
| expect to be happy with that cost 40 years from now when it is still
| rolling just fine.
|
| Koz (who has seen dozens of the cheap casters collapse on cusstomer's
| equipment)

If I move the equipment around a lot, I will go find the good ones. For
something that mostly sits unmoving in my garage most of the century, it's
not a big deal for me, or I'll just use skids if anything at all. If I
can't afford the casters I'd _like_ to have (most of the time that's the
case!) I will always get ones that are way larger than needed. For
commercial customers, when casters can really put a crimp on the movement of
goods while creating value, it makes a huge difference. If I can't move
something by hand that a forklift can after he's dropped it off, so for damn
sure there's money being wasted.
I'm lucky that nearby there's Boeing Surplus, and they sell casters
around six inches (or so) for about ten bucks, so needless to say the bin is
pretty much picked through unless I get there at the right time. But for
ten bucks I'm getting a caster than can cost well over a hundred bucks.
These are the good ones, obviously, and well used, but since the company
doesn't recycle stuff like that so well, it works out well for the buyer.
Those things are so damn smooth I worry about the equipment getting away
from me!

SteveB

"Koz" wrote

A 1000 pound tool box which may be carrying $ 20,000 in tools deserves
some really good casters. Expect to pay about 70 bucks a piece and expect
to be happy with that cost 40 years from now when it is still rolling just
fine.

Koz (who has seen dozens of the cheap casters collapse on cusstomer's
equipment)

In the convention industry, we use four wheel dollies. The wheels they use
cost about $15 each, so a dolly is about $75 per. They have hundreds of
them at each door.

They abuse the heck out of them. And only occasionally, you see one
sidelined, mostly from encounters with forklifts.

You get what you pay for, particularly in casters. And tires.

Steve

DeepDiver

"feenyX2" wrote in message

i need some really heavy duty wheels to roll around my toolbox
can ya all recommend some wheels to me

my box prolly around a bit over 1000 lbs now

I built a rolling stand for my RF-30 Mill/Drill using these 5",
600lbs-rated, polyurethane-on-steel casters from Grizzly.com:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G8165
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G8177

(I bought them while they were on sale, so I saved a dollar per caster.) In
any case, they are sturdy and they work great. I like the poly tire surfaces
because they aren't noisy and don't chew-up the concrete floor the way solid
steel casters do.

Grizzly also sells larger and smaller casters (diameter and capacity) to fit
your needs.

- Michael