carl mciver

"Koz" wrote in message
SNIP|

| Yea, those chinese casters mostly work. Good casters cost though and
| there IS a difference (I aint got a clue if cheapcasters are any good
| but MSC does have some good ones) Although I do generally go cheap
| chinese, there are times when the good USA versions (which DO empty your
| wallet) are worth it. I look at it the same way I look at tools in
| general: Dollar store tool? Yea maybe for some things that don't
| really matter much but a good one I only have to buy once.
|
| A 1000 pound tool box which may be carrying $ 20,000 in tools deserves
| some really good casters. Expect to pay about 70 bucks a piece and
| expect to be happy with that cost 40 years from now when it is still
| rolling just fine.
|
| Koz (who has seen dozens of the cheap casters collapse on cusstomer's
| equipment)

If I move the equipment around a lot, I will go find the good ones. For
something that mostly sits unmoving in my garage most of the century, it's
not a big deal for me, or I'll just use skids if anything at all. If I
can't afford the casters I'd _like_ to have (most of the time that's the
case!) I will always get ones that are way larger than needed. For
commercial customers, when casters can really put a crimp on the movement of
goods while creating value, it makes a huge difference. If I can't move
something by hand that a forklift can after he's dropped it off, so for damn
sure there's money being wasted.
I'm lucky that nearby there's Boeing Surplus, and they sell casters
around six inches (or so) for about ten bucks, so needless to say the bin is
pretty much picked through unless I get there at the right time. But for
ten bucks I'm getting a caster than can cost well over a hundred bucks.
These are the good ones, obviously, and well used, but since the company
doesn't recycle stuff like that so well, it works out well for the buyer.
Those things are so damn smooth I worry about the equipment getting away
from me!