Rex B

Rex B wrote:

On this subject, I bought one of those machinery mover things from
Homier. It's a square frame about 2x2 feet with 2 wheels at the rear.
The front single wheel is on an over-center foot pedal to raise it
into place so the platform will roll. It works pretty slick, but after
about a week under my 55-gallon drum parts washer, it basically fell
apart. I'd like to find a hardier version of that for things like my
tire machine and balancer. I don't think a tire machine would do well
on casters

Any good sources on a better device like the above?

Rex

Koz wrote:
I found the style you mentioned to be a pain in the neck. The one I have
is heavy enough but I hate the "tilt to move" thing.

Grizzly machine roller bases are pretty danged sturdy but they all use a
screw down system that just isnt enough to keep equipment from moving on
a smooth floor. They probably work better if you have a rough surface.
I have seen the onces where pushing a pedal lowers the wheel (each wheel
seperately) and that seems to be a fairly good system..things don't move
when the wheels are up and levelers are in place while the wheels
aren't. It also seems ot be a little pricey and I doubt they would work
with heavier stuff.

If you find a good balance between sturdy and price, let us all know.
Invent one and people will probably be lining up at your door.

Well, here's what I'll probably do for the tire machine:
Bolt the floor-mounting ears to 2x2 square tubing that extends 2" past
the base at each end. Complete the square by bolting two more 2x2s on
top of those, with a single through-bolt to a welded nut. Casters
fastened to 4 outboard upper ends. throughbolt connectors to have enough
additional threads to exceed the height the casters raise the machine.
To lower and park, unscrew the bolts enough to let the machine down. To
raise and move, tighten the bolts, pulling the 2x2s back together and
raising the machine.
I'll have to adjust this some to make room for the pedals and the
side bead-breaker. For something like a mill-drill, a simple rectangle
around the base would do.
..
Typical Materials would be

~12-ft 2x2 heavy wall tubing.
4 3/4" USS 6" bolts, with nuts and washers.
4 3" steel or cast iron casters

I'll probably do this with my Enco 1024 lathe, but I don't know that I'd
have to make it where it lowers. I think just a frame on casters would
do, as long as the frame was rigid