Gunner Asch

Default Survival strategy in Na'lens

On 3 Sep 2005 15:37:01 -0700, "CanopyCo" wrote:

Day Brown wrote:
Halcitron wrote:
what law applies to the situation. bookburn
The law of the land is the gun in your hand.
Shoot looters and dogs running in packs.

Wait a while on the dogs; they eating the bodies of the dead will
lessen a health hazard and reduce the stench.

And thin out the survivors as well as fatten the dogs up better for the
pot. ;-)

I had a moment of terror and sadness today, when I thought of all the
pets left on chains, left in homes as the waters rose. Phydoux staked
to a chain..the water rising...he can only swim for so long..

The cat and dogs left closed up in houses.the water inside rising,
swimmiing and swimming in panic until there was no room left at the
ceiling.

All wondering where their people are as they drown, trapped, alone,
afraid....

In such an event..I think it would be kinder to kill your pets
outright before you flee, if you cant take them all with you.

I suddenly have a strong urge to get drunk.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Lawrence Glickman

Day Brown wrote:
Halcitron wrote:
[...]

I went through this privately already. I would rather the humans
drowned than the animals, which I consider a higher life form, and
from what I can see on TV, they indeed are a higher life form.

Lg

Fred R

Day Brown wrote:

Halcitron wrote:

[...]

Strongly concur with both thoughts.

It is back to the responsibility issue again - pets much more reliably
keep their end of the social contract than do some people.

--
Fred R
typing with purring cat across lap and dreaming dog across feet
George

Day Brown wrote:

Halcitron wrote:

what law applies to the situation. bookburn
The law of the land is the gun in your hand.
Shoot looters and dogs running in packs.

Wait a while on the dogs; they eating the bodies of the dead will
lessen a health hazard and reduce the stench.

And thin out the survivors as well as fatten the dogs up better for the
pot. ;-)

I had a moment of terror and sadness today, when I thought of all the
pets left on chains, left in homes as the waters rose. Phydoux staked
to a chain..the water rising...he can only swim for so long..

The cat and dogs left closed up in houses.the water inside rising,
swimmiing and swimming in panic until there was no room left at the
ceiling.
snip

Gunner,

I think the following quote from Mahatma Ghandi sums it up pretty well.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the
way its animals are treated."

George Vigneron
Chris

"George" wrote in message
Gunner Asch wrote:
On 3 Sep 2005 15:37:01 -0700, "CanopyCo" wrote:

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way
its animals are treated."

George Vigneron

Are we talking about stranded survivors or cats and dogs?

--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
soldier. If it is in ebonics, thank your Congressman.

RAM^3

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On 3 Sep 2005 15:37:01 -0700, "CanopyCo" wrote:

I had a moment of terror and sadness today, when I thought of all the
pets left on chains, left in homes as the waters rose. Phydoux staked
to a chain..the water rising...he can only swim for so long..

The cat and dogs left closed up in houses.the water inside rising,
swimmiing and swimming in panic until there was no room left at the
ceiling.

All wondering where their people are as they drown, trapped, alone,
afraid....

In such an event..I think it would be kinder to kill your pets
outright before you flee, if you cant take them all with you.

I suddenly have a strong urge to get drunk.

Gunner

There may not be quite as many lost as you fear: many of those who heeded
the evacuation order took theirs with them and quite a number of others have
been rescued.

The Houston SPCA is housing a large number of those rescued as are other
ASPCA locations.

Chris

"RAM^3" wrote in message
"Chris" wrote in message
news

"George" wrote in message
Gunner Asch wrote:
On 3 Sep 2005 15:37:01 -0700, "CanopyCo" wrote:

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the
way its animals are treated."

George Vigneron

Are we talking about stranded survivors or cats and dogs?

--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
soldier. If it is in ebonics, thank your Congressman.

Yes

Much clearer now. Thanks. LOL

Gunner Asch

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 11:55:55 -0500, "RAM^3"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

For some time, my sister Lori was midwest regional director of EARSs

http://www.uan.org/ears/

She related more than one horror story..the dog found burned to death
in its masters bed after a wild fire. It apparently went to the one
place it felt secure in.

Ive personally seen the bitch and her litter of pups burned to death
while she was left chained..her teeth gone from trying to bite the
chain in half as the flames got closer and closer...the pups huddled
under her charred body..black briquettes

Ill not go any farther.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Jim Stewart

Chris wrote:

"George" wrote in message

Gunner Asch wrote:

On 3 Sep 2005 15:37:01 -0700, "CanopyCo" wrote:

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way
its animals are treated."

George Vigneron

Are we talking about stranded survivors or cats and dogs?

Vigneron? That sounds sorta like Vegan.

Anyway, just because someone can turn a nice
phrase doesn't make it wisdom.

RAM^3

wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

The number of these accounts is, I'll agree, far higher than I'd like to
see. [ZERO is my "preferred number"!]

I'd suspect that the number of cases of the type you've related may well be
in the hundreds [I hope not the thousands] as unthinking owners simply
abandoned their cats, dogs, birds, et. al., in their rush to high ground.
Those headed for the Civic Center and Superdome would, quite likely, be
prohibited from taking with them any "non-human family members".

Hopefully, though, the large number of "rescued" critters that have already
been relocated to ASPCA centers will include many of the potential
casualties.

Part_Time_Troll

Lawrence Glickman in
:

d@mn PETA republicans :-)

--
A state-subsidised trip to the country club bestowed upon another red-stater
http://news.google.com/news?q=~tenne...C+~sentenced+%
Lawrence Glickman

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 23:01:23 +0000 (UTC), "Part_Time_Troll"
wrote:

Lawrence Glickman in
:

I went through this privately already. I would rather the humans
drowned than the animals, which I consider a higher life form, and
from what I can see on TV, they indeed are a higher life form.

d@mn PETA republicans :-)

I will under no circumstances, abandon my animals. They come with me,
or we stay here together. That's just me. Everybody has to decide
for themselves what is important. They are as much a part of my
family as any of the humans, and maybe the better part.

Lg

Camilo Ramos

I had a moment of terror and sadness today, when I thought of all the pets
left on chains, left in homes as the waters rose. Phydoux staked to a
chain..the water rising...he can only swim for so long..

The cat and dogs left closed up in houses.the water inside rising,
swimmiing and swimming in panic until there was no room left at the
ceiling.

All wondering where their people are as they drown, trapped, alone,
afraid....

In such an event..I think it would be kinder to kill your pets outright
before you flee, if you cant take them all with you.

I suddenly have a strong urge to get drunk.

Gunner

Most people seem to regard their pets merely as furniture. As if.

Very sad.

MOngke

myal

Day Brown wrote:

Halcitron wrote:

[...]

Thats one very big reason we have a pocket sized pet , a chihuahua we
got for a wedding gift .

The other one , the feral goat , hey , well , its a bloody goat ,
nothing gets them if they got a mind to get away from it . We live on
the side of a hill on the edge of a mountain range ... itll be OK , just
let her go .

The dog fits neatly into the Mrs's handbag or my pocket .

With the amount of travel we do , we dont got high maintinence pets or
ones hard to get into and out of places .

I have to agree. Possibly the most soul-wrenching story that's come out
of this mess, at least for me, was the one where they wouldn't let the
little kid take his dog with him on the bus out of NOLA.

I took one look at my big dumb cat and heaved a sigh. He is the one
thing I could never leave behind.

Robert Sturgeon

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 22:34:38 -0500, "Camilo Ramos"
wrote:

I had a moment of terror and sadness today, when I thought of all the pets
left on chains, left in homes as the waters rose. Phydoux staked to a
chain..the water rising...he can only swim for so long..

The cat and dogs left closed up in houses.the water inside rising,
swimmiing and swimming in panic until there was no room left at the
ceiling.

All wondering where their people are as they drown, trapped, alone,
afraid....

In such an event..I think it would be kinder to kill your pets outright
before you flee, if you cant take them all with you.

I suddenly have a strong urge to get drunk.

Gunner

Most people seem to regard their pets merely as furniture. As if.

Very sad.

When I lived in the country, I always had cats and dogs. I
noticed that, while they are interesting and entertaining
creatures, they aren't human beings. I fed them, took care
of them, and occasionally had to shoot one of them. I ended
up thinking of them as friendly, inedible livestock. One of
the few regrets I have about living in town is that keeping
pets is such a difficult process, which I no longer bother
with. (I might get a cat sometime, but I doubt it.) I
don't mind if other people treat them as if they are
slightly less intelligent four-legged humans. I understand
this is a common behavior. But I never did, and never will.

--
Robert Sturgeon
Summum ius summa inuria.
Frank White

Day Brown wrote:
Halcitron wrote:
[...]

The trouble with trying to save cats is, if they get it into their
walnut sized brains that you're attacking them, or it's time to
panic, or they want to run and you try to stop them, you can come
away with more injuries from the cat than from the disaster.

Sedation or a strong, heavy container may be your only options.

FW. Who weeps for animals AND people.

Sheldon Marks

wrote in message

Acutally, after working with domestics and wildlife over the last
3 years, I have come to believe that animals are slightly more
intelligent than some humans.

Especially liberals.

Even a dog will take care of itself when abandoned.

Gunner

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 16:11:02 GMT, Strabo
wrote:

2. Cats are not chained.

3. The hurricane did little significant damage.

4. The water from the breeched levees rose *slowly*.

5. Cats and dogs avoid involuntary immersion.

Unless they are locked in the house, or dogs are on chains.

Gunner

Jim Stewart

Camilo Ramos wrote:
I had a moment of terror and sadness today, when I thought of all the pets
left on chains, left in homes as the waters rose. Phydoux staked to a
chain..the water rising...he can only swim for so long..

The cat and dogs left closed up in houses.the water inside rising,
swimmiing and swimming in panic until there was no room left at the
ceiling.

All wondering where their people are as they drown, trapped, alone,
afraid....

In such an event..I think it would be kinder to kill your pets outright
before you flee, if you cant take them all with you.

I suddenly have a strong urge to get drunk.

Gunner

Most people seem to regard their pets merely as furniture. As if.

Very sad.

Not as sad as regarding their kids as furniture....

Guido

wrote:

2. Cats are not chained.

3. The hurricane did little significant damage.

4. The water from the breeched levees rose *slowly*.

5. Cats and dogs avoid involuntary immersion.

Unless they are locked in the house, or dogs are on chains.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4215390.stm

Cliff

wrote:

Most people seem to regard their pets merely as furniture. As if.

Very sad.

Gunner considers his neighbor's as either targets or
dinner. He's claimed that he eats his kills IIRC.
--
Cliff
Lawrence Glickman

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 03:32:30 GMT, Strabo
wrote:

In Survival strategy in Na'lens on Mon, 05 Sep 2005 20:34:54
GMT, by Gunner, we read:

wrote:

2. Cats are not chained.

3. The hurricane did little significant damage.

4. The water from the breeched levees rose *slowly*.

5. Cats and dogs avoid involuntary immersion.

Unless they are locked in the house, or dogs are on chains.

Saw pets with owners rescued from rooftops last week.
Cats and dogs.

A guy accosted by the La. Fush and Game tonight refused to
leave partly because he didn't want to leave his dogs. The
other reason he gave was that his place was as good
as any to wait.

I saw a picture of one dog pacing about on a porch. He had
about 5 inches of rope attached to his collar. Apparently
chewed it through. Seemed to be in good shape but definitely
wants some dry ground.

Probably a 1/2 of NO is about dry. Unless politics purposely
slows the drainage, I expect most areas will be clear in a few
days with the lowest taking a week or so.

Latest estimates is it is going to take 3 months to pump out the flood
waters, and maybe another year and a half for the place to dry out.

Cliff

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 16:11:02 GMT, Strabo
wrote:

The exception was the marine
aquarium near Biloxi. It broke apart and washed into
the Gulf.

One hopes that no foreign invasive species were released.
--
Cliff
Cliff

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 16:11:02 GMT, Strabo
wrote:

The Pacific tsunami documented the phenomena of animals
avoiding natural catastrophe. A science documentary was
shown recently with notable highlights.

I strongly suspect that much of that was pure BS.
--
Cliff
Cliff

On 5 Sep 2005 10:07:36 -0700, "Frank White" wrote:

The trouble with trying to save cats is, if they get it into their
walnut sized brains that you're attacking them, or it's time to
panic, or they want to run and you try to stop them, you can come
away with more injuries from the cat than from the disaster.

sheesh

Pick them up by the scruff of their necks.
--
Cliff
Frank White

Cliff wrote:
On 5 Sep 2005 10:07:36 -0700, "Frank White" wrote:

The trouble with trying to save cats is, if they get it into their
walnut sized brains that you're attacking them, or it's time to
panic, or they want to run and you try to stop them, you can come
away with more injuries from the cat than from the disaster.

sheesh

Pick them up by the scruff of their necks.
--
Cliff

That works for kittens and cats too fat to twist around. You
try picking up most other cats that way, especially one really
furious or scared, you'll draw back a hand bleeding from a dozen
places. Possibily with a cat still attached and biting.

FW

Jon Anderson

Frank White wrote:

you'll draw back a hand bleeding from a dozen places. Possibily with
a cat still attached and biting.

Obvious to anyone with an ounce of common sense...G

Jon

Don Bruder

In article . com,
"Frank White" wrote:

Cliff wrote:
On 5 Sep 2005 10:07:36 -0700, "Frank White" wrote:

The trouble with trying to save cats is, if they get it into their
walnut sized brains that you're attacking them, or it's time to
panic, or they want to run and you try to stop them, you can come
away with more injuries from the cat than from the disaster.

sheesh

Pick them up by the scruff of their necks.
--
Cliff

That works for kittens and cats too fat to twist around. You
try picking up most other cats that way, especially one really
furious or scared, you'll draw back a hand bleeding from a dozen
places. Possibily with a cat still attached and biting.

"Possibly"???? HAH! Try "WAY more than likely", and it's unlikely to be
"just" biting, but steadily chewing its way up your arm!

I for one would rather reach into a running blender set on "liquify" and
grab the blades than try to deal with a cat that doesn't want to go
somewhere. I'd likely come out of it with less damage!

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html for full details.
Cliff

On 6 Sep 2005 11:22:53 -0700, "Frank White" wrote:

Cliff wrote:
On 5 Sep 2005 10:07:36 -0700, "Frank White" wrote:

The trouble with trying to save cats is, if they get it into their
walnut sized brains that you're attacking them, or it's time to
panic, or they want to run and you try to stop them, you can come
away with more injuries from the cat than from the disaster.

sheesh

Pick them up by the scruff of their necks.
--
Cliff

That works for kittens and cats too fat to twist around. You
try picking up most other cats that way, especially one really
furious or scared, you'll draw back a hand bleeding from a dozen
places. Possibily with a cat still attached and biting.

They cannot twist around when held that way.
In addition, it usually turns on their "mommy has me"
reflex that was imprinted on them as very small kittens.
Or it might be instinct.
--
Cliff
Cliff

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 20:16:59 GMT, Don Bruder wrote:

That works for kittens and cats too fat to twist around. You
try picking up most other cats that way, especially one really
furious or scared, you'll draw back a hand bleeding from a dozen
places. Possibily with a cat still attached and biting.

"Possibly"???? HAH! Try "WAY more than likely", and it's unlikely to be
"just" biting, but steadily chewing its way up your arm!

Their ears get in the way of that "twisting".

HTH
--
Cliff
Lawrence Glickman

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 23:16:19 GMT, Strabo
wrote:

Latest estimates is it is going to take 3 months to pump out the flood
waters, and maybe another year and a half for the place to dry out.

Absurd.

What part of this *even* do you find -not- absurd?

40% of the water has already been drained. I'll stand by
3 weeks on the outside.

A few months to dry perhaps for the *lowest* lying areas.

Can we use your head as a depth stick?

Cliff

wrote:

40% of the water has already been drained.

You went there with a teaspoon & bailed it all out
yourself?
--
Cliff
Cliff

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 23:21:54 GMT, Strabo
wrote:

In Survival strategy in Na'lens on Tue, 06 Sep 2005 03:34:00
-0400, by Cliff, we read:

wrote:

The Pacific tsunami documented the phenomena of animals
avoiding natural catastrophe. A science documentary was
shown recently with notable highlights.

I strongly suspect that much of that was pure BS.

I doubt it. An earthquake emits several types of long
wave freqs. Critters common to that region could associate
this with a tsunami.

Oh? LOL .... how far aay was that earthquake?
Do they run for the hills every time a truck goes by too?

The fact is that few animals were caught in the tsunami.

You have no clues.

It's already had a cursory study and the results have
verified the news reports.

Nope. The news reports reported that the speculation
existed.

An in-depth study is in progress.

How long are you planning on working on it?
--
Cliff
myal

wrote:

40% of the water has already been drained.

You went there with a teaspoon & bailed it all out
yourself?

Nah , it was on the news , the levees are almost all fixed , the pumps
are going full rip , pumping toxic gunk out into the gulf going to kill
all kinds of arine life and stuff , but there is not a lot else its
good for....

--
"If our system did such a poor job when there was no enemy, how would
the federal, state and local governments have coped with a terrorist
daniel peterman

They in the affected are very fortunate that the weather has been pretty
quiet since the 'cane. Isn't the rainy season closing fast? It's gonna
take longer than a year to dry that mess out. It was never really dry to
begin with. Wetlands are kinda like that.

daniel peterman

When handling feral or scared cats a leather jacket and gloves should be
donned first. And move fast so they don't get a chance to think about
it.