billh

Default E-mail from Microsoft

There are a lot of these going around now with various headings trying to
make it appear as if they came from Microsoft. Microsoft never sends
unsolicited software updates by email! Delete them without opening.
Billh

"D" dwrate@interbaundotc0m wrote in message
I received an e-mail today from Microsoft. The subject is "Newest Internet
Security Upgrade" It has an attachment that Outlook Express removed as it
was/is an executable called "installation 232.exe" The e-mail certainly
looks authentic, so I checked The Microsoft site and lo and behold there

is
a section on how to tell if an e-mail is legitimate. There is an actual
example of a hoax and shocking enough it looks just like the email I
received....

So beware there seems to be something new out there...
--
David
1964 Karmann Ghia coupe

Roger Jensen

Microsoft will never email you an update

---

Buzz Lightyear

Trust Me, Its not NEW. In fact I have been reading about it for months.
Some of us are getting sick of reading all about it in every newsgroup, all
the time. so just protect yourself.
I saw some in my box about 4 months ago, and figured it out, now i never see
it anymore.

"D" dwrate@interbaundotc0m wrote in message
I received an e-mail today from Microsoft. The subject is "Newest Internet
Security Upgrade" It has an attachment that Outlook Express removed as it
was/is an executable called "installation 232.exe" The e-mail certainly
looks authentic, so I checked The Microsoft site and lo and behold there

is
a section on how to tell if an e-mail is legitimate. There is an actual
example of a hoax and shocking enough it looks just like the email I
received....

So beware there seems to be something new out there...
--
David
1964 Karmann Ghia coupe
1998 Chev K1500
2000 Subaru Legacy GT

Dante M. Catoni

I've been getting 30-40 of these a day for the last 3 weeks.

I received an e-mail today from Microsoft. The subject is "Newest Internet
Security Upgrade" It has an attachment that Outlook Express removed as it

Marv Soloff

SPAM - either filter out or just delete without opening. Some contain
viruses.

Regards,

Marv

Dante M. Catoni wrote:
I've been getting 30-40 of these a day for the last 3 weeks.

I received an e-mail today from Microsoft. The subject is "Newest Internet
Security Upgrade" It has an attachment that Outlook Express removed as it

Rager

"D" dwrate@interbaundotc0m wrote in
:

I received an e-mail today from Microsoft. The subject is
"Newest Internet Security Upgrade" It has an attachment that
Outlook Express removed as it was/is an executable called
"installation 232.exe" The e-mail certainly looks authentic, so
I checked The Microsoft site and lo and behold there is a
section on how to tell if an e-mail is legitimate. There is an
actual example of a hoax and shocking enough it looks just like
the email I received....

So beware there seems to be something new out there...

Pay attention to any mail from eBay as well. There's a few versions
of spoofs going around.

One even takes you to a genuine looking secure eBay page, and then
asks you to put information into a popup page. Bad gimshe.
DejaVU

Default this is a VIRUS E-mail from Microsoft

D dwrate@interbaundotc0m scribed in
:

I received an e-mail today from Microsoft. The subject is "Newest
Internet Security Upgrade" It has an attachment that Outlook
Express removed as it was/is an executable called "installation
232.exe" The e-mail certainly looks authentic, so I checked The
Microsoft site and lo and behold there is a section on how to
tell if an e-mail is legitimate. There is an actual example of a
hoax and shocking enough it looks just like the email I
received....

So beware there seems to be something new out there...

it is the product of the SWEN virus, trying to send it self to you
and all the rest of us.

Please, will everyone wake up and ditch Outlook already? Outlook is
the target of allthese things, just about nothing else is vulnerable.
IF we allpull together and stop using Outlook, the virii and worms
will go away. Same with Spam, never reply, never buy, it will go.

swarf, steam and wind

--
David Forsyth -:- the email address is real /"\
http://terrapin.ru.ac.za/~iwdf/welcome.html \ /

DejaVU

Marv Soloff scribed in
:

SPAM - either filter out or just delete without opening. Some
contain viruses.

NOT SPAM, VIRUS

Microsoft is many things, but they are not stupid enough to send spam
by email

Regards,

Marv

Dante M. Catoni wrote:

I've been getting 30-40 of these a day for the last 3 weeks.

I received an e-mail today from Microsoft. The subject is "Newest

Internet
Security Upgrade" It has an attachment that Outlook Express

removed as it

--
swarf, steam and wind

--
David Forsyth -:- the email address is real /"\
http://terrapin.ru.ac.za/~iwdf/welcome.html \ /
ASCII Ribbon campaign against HTML E-Mail - - - - - - - X
If you receive email saying "Send this to everyone you know," / \
PLEASE pretend you don't know me.
Marv Soloff

Microsoft has nothing to do with these messages - other than making and
selling some pretty bad software.

Regards,

Marv

DejaVU wrote:
Marv Soloff scribed in
:

Dante M. Catoni wrote:

I've been getting 30-40 of these a day for the last 3 weeks.

I received an e-mail today from Microsoft. The subject is "Newest

Internet

Security Upgrade" It has an attachment that Outlook Express

removed as it

WasteNotWantNot

Rager wrote in message ...
"D" dwrate@interbaundotc0m wrote in
:

I received an e-mail today from Microsoft. The subject is
"Newest Internet Security Upgrade" It has an attachment that
Outlook Express removed as it was/is an executable called
"installation 232.exe" The e-mail certainly looks authentic, so
I checked The Microsoft site and lo and behold there is a
section on how to tell if an e-mail is legitimate. There is an
actual example of a hoax and shocking enough it looks just like
the email I received....

So beware there seems to be something new out there...

Pay attention to any mail from eBay as well. There's a few versions
of spoofs going around.

One even takes you to a genuine looking secure eBay page, and then
asks you to put information into a popup page. Bad gimshe.

WTH
Look at that post. "I received an e-mail from Microsoft today." She
still believes it!¿
People must live under rocks or something not to be aware of this
stuff, which has been going on for years. Gullible people just invite
more scams, spams, and hackers. I guess the old pigeon drop still
works too so I should not be surprised.

mb

"DejaVU" wrote in message
[...]

Oh, purleese.
If we all ditched Outlook/Outlook Express and used 'something else', then
the virus writers will just target the 'something else'. If you think that
all the virus writers want to do is to bug Microsoft, I think you're very
much mistaken.

Mike

Perry Murlless

That's a crock! Spam, and virus' and worms will be around no matter what you
email client is! Get a life Gumby and stop spamming this newsgroup with your
idiotic, uninformed ravings!!

"mb" wrote in message
.. .

"DejaVU" wrote in message
[...]

Buzz Lightyear

I use outlook express / internet explorer and nothing else.

I dont get these virus's sent to me.

It has way more to do with your personal internet habits, and way less to do
with what software you use.

"Perry Murlless" wrote in message
That's a crock! Spam, and virus' and worms will be around no matter what

you
email client is! Get a life Gumby and stop spamming this newsgroup with

your
idiotic, uninformed ravings!!

"mb" wrote in message
.. .

"DejaVU" wrote in message
[...]

Gary Glaenzer

here too:

but if Netscape was the browser of choice for the majority, the viruses
would be targetting Netscape

same for Eudora, Agent or any other

the viruses are targetted at Outlook cause its the most widely used

what's so hard to understand about that, folks ?

I use outlook express / internet explorer and nothing else.

I dont get these virus's sent to me.

It has way more to do with your personal internet habits, and way less to

do
with what software you use.

"Perry Murlless" wrote in message
That's a crock! Spam, and virus' and worms will be around no matter what

you
email client is! Get a life Gumby and stop spamming this newsgroup with

your
idiotic, uninformed ravings!!

"mb" wrote in message
.. .

"DejaVU" wrote in message
[...]

Gunner

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 16:57:52 +0200, "mb"
wrote:

"DejaVU" wrote in message
[...]

Well..first of all..most of the Something Elses, dont have the
vulnerabilities of OE..but thats just fine with me. Id rather have
folks like you hanging your asses out as a fine target, keeping the
script kiddies occupied, than trying to get through the few if any
vulnerabilities in real Something Elses.

Having you folks out there as a nice big fat target means they arent
going to be going after the rest of us.

"this is the reason aircraft carriers are known as bomb magnets"

Gunner

"Anyone who cannot cope with firearms is not fully human. At best he
is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and not
make messes in the house."
With appologies to RAH..
Gary Glaenzer

"Gunner" wrote in message
news

Well..first of all..most of the Something Elses, dont have the
vulnerabilities of OE..but thats just fine with me.

don't have the vulnerabilities, or they haven't been discovered because it's
not practical to search them out due to low numbers in use ?

billh

Thanks for finally some real words of wisdom.

MS isn't totally blamefree but in their well-intended quest to make
computers easy to use it has also made it easy for morons to take advantage
of it.
Billh

"Gary Glaenzer" wrote in message
[...]

"mb" wrote in message
.. .

"DejaVU" wrote in message
[...]

Reto

but if Netscape was the browser of choice for the majority, the viruses
would be targetting Netscape same for Eudora, Agent or any other
the viruses are targetted at Outlook cause its the most widely used
what's so hard to understand about that, folks ?

It seems to me that you are not a programmer.
The problem is that micro$oft has (had) a lot of open ports, allowing
for example vbs (visual basic scrit) or active-x in emails. The I love
you-virus vas a typical vbs-virus: what you need vbs in an email
program for? For *absolutely* nothing. So the problem is the why
build in functionalitites that have no use and a lot of harm potential?
Why making default settings that are unsafe? That's the reason almost
all viruses of the last few years are for micro$oft outlook o ie.
For one security hole in the other programs you have hundres security
holes in outlook/ie.
The other programs like netscape/mozilla/eudora/opera.... *are* safer.

Danny

Hi

What i noticed was that the day after the BBC made a news report on how
easy it is to send an email virus, i noticed that i had 50% of my junk
email had a virus in it, now that is an example of where the BBC thinmk
they are being the good samaritan, but don't actually notice it causing
more trouble.

Dan

D wrote:
I received an e-mail today from Microsoft. The subject is "Newest Internet
Security Upgrade" It has an attachment that Outlook Express removed as it
was/is an executable called "installation 232.exe" The e-mail certainly
looks authentic, so I checked The Microsoft site and lo and behold there is
a section on how to tell if an e-mail is legitimate. There is an actual
example of a hoax and shocking enough it looks just like the email I
received....

So beware there seems to be something new out there...

Gunner

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 10:19:23 -0700, "Perry Murlless"
wrote:

That's a crock! Spam, and virus' and worms will be around no matter what you
email client is! Get a life Gumby and stop spamming this newsgroup with your
idiotic, uninformed ravings!!

While true to some extent...how many Mac viruses are there? Linux?
Eudora is one of the most popular email clients out there. Found a
virus yet that targets Eudora?

Denial is not a river in Egypt. Keep what you have..it works for me.
Being a nice dumb fat vulnerable target for the script kiddies keeps
the pressure off the rest of us.

Gunner

"mb" wrote in message
. ..

"DejaVU" wrote in message
[...]

"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather,
because it is easier to harrass rich women
than it is motorcycle gangs." - Bumper Sticker
mb

"Gunner" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 16:57:52 +0200, "mb"
wrote:

8888

[...]

Yawn, another self righteous Agent user.
I hope that's not your real email address 'hanging it ass' out.

Gunner

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:59:10 GMT, "Gary Glaenzer"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
news

Well..first of all..most of the Something Elses, dont have the
vulnerabilities of OE..but thats just fine with me.

don't have the vulnerabilities, or they haven't been discovered because it's
not practical to search them out due to low numbers in use ?

Eudora is a low numbered software? ROFLMAO.

Think again..do the research..get back to me, ok?

Denial..is not a river in Egypt.

Target.

Gunner

"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather,
because it is easier to harrass rich women
than it is motorcycle gangs." - Bumper Sticker
Gunner

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:52:20 +0200, "mb"
wrote:

news
wrote:

[...]

Yup, its my real email addy. Why shouldnt it be? I dont run vulnerable
software, so malware is not an issue. The only concern I have
security wise, is a denial of service attack, and I have alternate
email addys for that event.

Chuckle..I may hang my ass out there..but I wear kevlar undies.

Gunner

"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather,
because it is easier to harrass rich women
than it is motorcycle gangs." - Bumper Sticker
Gary Glaenzer

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:59:10 GMT, "Gary Glaenzer"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
news

Well..first of all..most of the Something Elses, dont have the
vulnerabilities of OE..but thats just fine with me.

don't have the vulnerabilities, or they haven't been discovered because

it's
not practical to search them out due to low numbers in use ?

Eudora is a low numbered software? ROFLMAO.

what part of 'most of something else' can you not understand, since YOU said
it ?

Dave Mundt

Greetings and Salutations.

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:30:29 GMT, "Gary Glaenzer"
wrote:

here too:

but if Netscape was the browser of choice for the majority, the viruses
would be targetting Netscape

same for Eudora, Agent or any other

the viruses are targetted at Outlook cause its the most widely used

what's so hard to understand about that, folks ?

my only contribution to this little flame war is
to say that the reason that the virus writers target outlook
and IE is because they have the largest security holes. They,
unlike the other clients you mention, will automatically run
programs that come in as attachments to Email or web pages
without warning the user, or without asking the user if
they should. ONe can turn this off, but, it is not easy
or obvious enough that most folks can and will do it.
Regards
Dave Mundt

Gary Glaenzer

.. .

wrote:

here too:

but if Netscape was the browser of choice for the majority, the viruses
would be targetting Netscape

same for Eudora, Agent or any other

the viruses are targetted at Outlook cause its the most widely used

what's so hard to understand about that, folks ?

my only contribution to this little flame war is
to say that the reason that the virus writers target outlook
and IE is because they have the largest security holes. They,
unlike the other clients you mention, will automatically run
programs that come in as attachments to Email or web pages
without warning the user, or without asking the user if
they should. ONe can turn this off, but, it is not easy
or obvious enough that most folks can and will do it.
Regards
Dave Mundt

it's neither difficult or non-obvious

it's right there under 'Tools', 'options' , 'read' and 'security'

pedro

"mb" wrote in message ...
"DejaVU" wrote in message
[...]

Don't want to get into the contest on outlook and sorry to post this
on this site, but I am getting the same problem with my yahoo mail,
from what it looks like it coming from microsoft to the tone of 10 to
15 a day, so please inform on how NOT to have this problem. It seems
to be the same problem as posted above, good luck guys.
Larry Bud

Please, will everyone wake up and ditch Outlook already? Outlook is
the target of allthese things, just about nothing else is vulnerable.

Another misinformed viewer.

http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-626...87.html?tag=fb

The reason virus writers focus on Microsoft is that most people are
running MS Operating systems. If, overnight, we all switched to
something else, they'd focus on that. You really don't know what
you're talking about if you think nothing else is vulnerable.
Doug Winterburn

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 07:21:26 -0700, Larry Bud wrote:

Please, will everyone wake up and ditch Outlook already? Outlook is
the target of allthese things, just about nothing else is vulnerable.

Another misinformed viewer.

http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-626...87.html?tag=fb

The reason virus writers focus on Microsoft is that most people are
running MS Operating systems. If, overnight, we all switched to
something else, they'd focus on that. You really don't know what
you're talking about if you think nothing else is vulnerable.

However, the author of the referenced guide has this to say:

"I do believe that free software is superior, at least in regard to
security. And I strongly oppose the argument that Linux viruses will
flourish once it reaches a critical mass of popularity. On the contrary
I question the credibility of people whose income relies on widespread
use of ridiculously insecure operating systems."

-Doug

Gary Glaenzer

"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

'I do believe'.........'I strongly oppose'.........'I question'.......

sounds like another self-proclaimed 'expert' who thinks his beliefs,
oppositions, and questions constitute fact...........

Doug Winterburn

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:12:59 +0000, Gary Glaenzer wrote:

'I do believe'.........'I strongly oppose'.........'I question'.......

sounds like another self-proclaimed 'expert' who thinks his beliefs,
oppositions, and questions constitute fact...........

And the facts are?

Perhaps reading the referenced guide would clear up the authors
credentials. He does spell it out very clearly.

-Doug
Ted Edwards

Gary Glaenzer wrote:

it's neither difficult or non-obvious

it's right there under 'Tools', 'options' , 'read' and 'security'

You are completely misinformed re the level of computer literacy of the
average Windoze user. I have a college educated sister-in-law who finds
it too complicated to send me messages that she prepared in Word in
plain ASCII and that requires even fewer extra keystrokes. Nor is she
unique amoung people I know.

Ted

Buzz Lightyear

You are right !
Most PC Users are completely stupid about how to anything other than the
basic email or internet surf. thats probably why the most active thread in
this group these days is this one !

Let this thread finnally DIE PLEASE !