Too_Many_Tools

Default Is A Used Surface Plate Good?

A used surface plate just showed up on my doorstep...amazing what
follows me home sometimes. :)

This surface plate is a Rahn 34" x 36" black granite with two ledges.

So, how does one decide if a surface plate is "good"?

If it is "bad", how do you decide whether or not it is worth
refurbishing? How much does it cost to refurbish a surface plate and
how do they do it?

And if it is not worth refurbishing, what have you used an old surface
plate for? I've already got a gravestone. ;)

Thanks for any suggestions, comments or wisecracks.

TMT

RAM^3

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
A used surface plate just showed up on my doorstep...amazing what
follows me home sometimes. :)

This surface plate is a Rahn 34" x 36" black granite with two ledges.

So, how does one decide if a surface plate is "good"?

If it is "bad", how do you decide whether or not it is worth
refurbishing? How much does it cost to refurbish a surface plate and
how do they do it?

And if it is not worth refurbishing, what have you used an old surface
plate for? I've already got a gravestone. ;)

Thanks for any suggestions, comments or wisecracks.

TMT

If you find that it's unserviceable as a surface plate, it'd make a
fantastic table top or cutting board.

It's also a fabulous surface for doing leatherwork...

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
A used surface plate just showed up on my doorstep...amazing what
follows me home sometimes. :)

This surface plate is a Rahn 34" x 36" black granite with two ledges.

So, how does one decide if a surface plate is "good"?

If it is "bad", how do you decide whether or not it is worth
refurbishing? How much does it cost to refurbish a surface plate and
how do they do it?

And if it is not worth refurbishing, what have you used an old surface
plate for? I've already got a gravestone. ;)

Thanks for any suggestions, comments or wisecracks.

TMT

While I don't recall the details, it used to be routine for a roving service
to refinish and calibrate surface plates. They worked through local
supply houses, with advance notice. I've not seen it done, so I can't
comment on the procedure. One thing is for sure------shipping it two
directions to have it done, especially with today's high fuel prices, would
be a bad deal.

Unless yours has been very poorly used/handled, and unless you intend to use
it for QC, I wouldn't lose much sleep over it. Put it to use in your shop,
providing a wooden cover for it so it doesn't get banged up unnecessarily.
They're super nice for laying out with a height gage, or even inspecting
your work. Even if it was out a thou, you'd be unlikely to know, or have it
affect you negatively.

Make sure it's level, so you don't chase things that you lay on the surface.
It's not uncommon to use drill blanks or other round objects in the process
of inspecting or making setups. A rigid steel bench with leveling bolts in
the legs is a good idea. Once you've had one, you'll wonder how you got
along without it.

Harold

Jim Stewart

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

[...]

That's really the answer. It would have to
be a very bad surface plate to be worse than
most anything else you'd be doing layout on.

Make sure it's level, so you don't chase things that you lay on the surface.
It's not uncommon to use drill blanks or other round objects in the process
of inspecting or making setups. A rigid steel bench with leveling bolts in
the legs is a good idea. Once you've had one, you'll wonder how you got
along without it.

Harold

Anthony

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in
oups.com:

A used surface plate just showed up on my doorstep...amazing what
follows me home sometimes. :)

This surface plate is a Rahn 34" x 36" black granite with two ledges.

So, how does one decide if a surface plate is "good"?

If it is "bad", how do you decide whether or not it is worth
refurbishing? How much does it cost to refurbish a surface plate and
how do they do it?

And if it is not worth refurbishing, what have you used an old surface
plate for? I've already got a gravestone. ;)

Thanks for any suggestions, comments or wisecracks.

TMT

Unless it's broken, it is probably servicable and useful. There are
companies that come around and recertify and refinish surface plates, as
Harold mentioned. They lap it to get it back flat.
When you build your bench for it, make sure the plate is supported only
on 3 rubber isolation mounts. This helps absorb the vibration of the
floor. A 3 point mount is pretty much standard for a surface plate.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

http://www.machines-cnc.net:81/

tim

Mount an indicater on a angle plate or some hevey peice of metal let it
stick out about a foot . Then turn whatever you have the indicator
mounted to .Watch the indicator as it sweeps the 1 foot raduis .Do this
all over the surface plate the readings should be within a few
tenths(.0000 to .0005

Bugs

You can 'tram' the surface with an indicator and height gage to see if
there are any low spots. A few ten thousandths should be acceptable for
anything except high end quality control, for which you should be using
electronic equipment anyway.
Bugs

*

Ignoramus8644 wrote in article
I support the idea of using one in the kitchen...

Let's see......

.....you have absolutely no idea of what sort of chemicals might leach out
of the former surface plate into the food.

AND....

.....the granite surface will keep you busy sharpening knives.

You can use it in YOUR kitchen if you wish, but......

Give me a hardwood or poly cutting board for the kitchen......ANY day

Karl Townsend

Make sure it's level, so you don't chase things that you lay on the
surface.
It's not uncommon to use drill blanks or other round objects in the
process
of inspecting or making setups. A rigid steel bench with leveling bolts
in
the legs is a good idea. Once you've had one, you'll wonder how you got
along without it.

Mine's on a rolling cart, with a couple levels below it. With the cover on
it does double duty as a tool cart in the shop. With the cover off, I roll
it up beside the optical comparator. I've got "Too-Many-Tools" and no spare
room, the cart is pushed into the corner when not in use.

Karl

SteveF

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
A used surface plate just showed up on my doorstep...amazing what
follows me home sometimes. :)

This surface plate is a Rahn 34" x 36" black granite with two ledges.

So, how does one decide if a surface plate is "good"?

If it is "bad", how do you decide whether or not it is worth
refurbishing? How much does it cost to refurbish a surface plate and
how do they do it?

And if it is not worth refurbishing, what have you used an old surface
plate for? I've already got a gravestone. ;)

Thanks for any suggestions, comments or wisecracks.

TMT

I called Starrett a while back and they will resurface and recertify a
surface plate to whatever flatness you need for a very reasonable price. Of
course, if you have to spend a fortune to ship it to Mt Airy, North Carolina
the "reasonableness" drops off quickly.

Steve.

Randy Replogle

On 30 Aug 2005 21:26:55 -0700, "Too_Many_Tools"
wrote:

A used surface plate just showed up on my doorstep...amazing what
follows me home sometimes. :)

This surface plate is a Rahn 34" x 36" black granite with two ledges.

So, how does one decide if a surface plate is "good"?

If it is "bad", how do you decide whether or not it is worth
refurbishing? How much does it cost to refurbish a surface plate and
how do they do it?

And if it is not worth refurbishing, what have you used an old surface
plate for? I've already got a gravestone. ;)

Thanks for any suggestions, comments or wisecracks.

TMT

Being granite, I don't know if it *can* go bad. Metal plates get dings
which cause raised areas arond the ding. Granite can chip but the top
of the plate is still flat. I suppose excessive sliding of objects
over the surface might create"'ruts".
Randy
Dave Hinz

On 30 Aug 2005 21:26:55 -0700, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
A used surface plate just showed up on my doorstep...amazing what
follows me home sometimes. :)

I thought it was just me who has that problem.

This surface plate is a Rahn 34" x 36" black granite with two ledges.
So, how does one decide if a surface plate is "good"?

Naah, it's junk. Send it to me and I'll dispose of it for you, without
even charging you.

If it is "bad", how do you decide whether or not it is worth
refurbishing? How much does it cost to refurbish a surface plate and
how do they do it?

I would _think_ that, being granite, it probably won't have "much" wear.
And outright damage (chips, etc) will be obvious. I'd say find the best
standard you have for "straight" and try to find any gaps between it and
the face of the stone. I'm not a metrologist, though.

And if it is not worth refurbishing, what have you used an old surface
plate for? I've already got a gravestone. ;)

I watched someone cutting a watermelon on a granite surface plate -
seems they had inherited the QA department, and the employer (large
company whose name sounds an awful lot like "GE") decided that they
didn't need to actually inspect the parts, because (insert mumble here).
So, this surface plate had turned into a breakroom table. Un Farking
Believable.

Thanks for any suggestions, comments or wisecracks.

What, here? But yeah, get a straightedge and a bright light. If
there's any visible gaps, get out the feeler gages and see how bad they
are, and compare that with your personal tolerance.

Gunner

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:45:07 -0700, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

Make sure it's level, so you don't chase things that you lay on the surface.
It's not uncommon to use drill blanks or other round objects in the process
of inspecting or making setups. A rigid steel bench with leveling bolts in
the legs is a good idea. Once you've had one, you'll wonder how you got
along without it.

Harold

Use (3) levelng bolts and pads under it. Not 4.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Harold and Susan Vordos

"*" wrote in message

Ignoramus8644 wrote in article
I support the idea of using one in the kitchen...

Let's see......

....you have absolutely no idea of what sort of chemicals might leach out
of the former surface plate into the food.

AND....

....the granite surface will keep you busy sharpening knives.

You can use it in YOUR kitchen if you wish, but......

Give me a hardwood or poly cutting board for the kitchen......ANY day

My thoughts, exactly!

The way I see it, unless one is involved in making certain candies, a
granite surface would be quite useless.

Harold

Charles Spitzer

"*" wrote in message

Ignoramus8644 wrote in article
I support the idea of using one in the kitchen...

Let's see......

....you have absolutely no idea of what sort of chemicals might leach out
of the former surface plate into the food.

AND....

....the granite surface will keep you busy sharpening knives.

You can use it in YOUR kitchen if you wish, but......

Give me a hardwood or poly cutting board for the kitchen......ANY day

My thoughts, exactly!

The way I see it, unless one is involved in making certain candies, a
granite surface would be quite useless.

Harold

they're really nice for baking uses, and it's fun watching my cat jump up on
the counter, then slide off the other side because he landed on some paper
instead of the stone.

*

Charles Spitzer wrote in article

they're really nice for baking uses, and it's fun watching my cat jump up

on
the counter, then slide off the other side because he landed on some

paper
instead of the stone.

Oh, great!!!

A CAT walking around on food preparation surfaces.....

My reply above certainly applies here also.

Not sure I want food that has been prepared in this kitchen, either........

Richard J Kinch

Too_Many_Tools writes:

So, how does one decide if a surface plate is "good"?

There is a chapter on this in Connelly's _Machine Tool Reconditiong_.

Ordinary gages and indicators are not precise enough to calibrate a surface
plate, although they could detect gross problems. You're in the realm of
ultra-flat reference gages and solvent-evaporation marking.

Being granite, it probably is still good as new. Minor surface dings are
of no consequence. If you inspect it closely with glaring reflected light,
you should see the original polished surface quality, as opposed to
dullness from misuse or abuse.
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:55:05 -0500, Richard J Kinch wrote:

If you inspect it closely with glaring reflected light,
you should see the original polished surface quality, as opposed to
dullness from misuse or abuse.

That is a really, really good point. Polish, if intact, tells you that
the flatness is still intact. Oversimplified, but probably an excellent
measure of the "health" of the stone.

Harold and Susan Vordos

"*" wrote in message

Charles Spitzer wrote in article

they're really nice for baking uses, and it's fun watching my cat jump

up
on
the counter, then slide off the other side because he landed on some

paper
instead of the stone.

Oh, great!!!

A CAT walking around on food preparation surfaces.....

My reply above certainly applies here also.

Not sure I want food that has been prepared in this kitchen,

either........

Chuckle!

Funny, we seem to agree on that one, too. I don't like cats, and I
certainly wouldn't allow one on my food prep surfaces.

Harold

jay s

there are other companies that will come out and calibrate you surface plate
and refinish if needed, our company uses Rockford Calibration, Rockford, IL
They use a tool that looks like a long block of steel with an indicator
mounted to one end, the indicator rides on some kind of shoe that reads in
the millionths I believe. He has a plate that he uses diamond dust on to
resurface the plates and they can fill in big gunges with some kind of body
filler.
we had them in for the last few years to do our plates, when they were in
the last time they found 4 of the small plates out of tolerance and it was
cheaper to by new ones than redo them, were talking about roughly 2' X 3'
plates. Ours are calibrated to .0005 and one of them has a hole thats .0045
in the middle from not being cleaned enough. We have the Starret Altissimo
height stands that we use along with the Brown and Sharpe stands. The
problem is that all shop grit lands on your plate and whatever you push
around on the plate pushes the grit into the voids on the plate. We've had
the plates for 10 years and we usually run 24/7 so they get plenty of use by
the operators.
If you had a good straight edge you could probably measure the gap under the
edge to find out how bad it is.

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
A used surface plate just showed up on my doorstep...amazing what
follows me home sometimes. :)

This surface plate is a Rahn 34" x 36" black granite with two ledges.

So, how does one decide if a surface plate is "good"?

If it is "bad", how do you decide whether or not it is worth
refurbishing? How much does it cost to refurbish a surface plate and
how do they do it?

And if it is not worth refurbishing, what have you used an old surface
plate for? I've already got a gravestone. ;)

Thanks for any suggestions, comments or wisecracks.

TMT

Martin H. Eastburn

My wife was thinking of a number of them in the kitchen. The small ones were
thick enough to use and just under the way to heavy.

I love the big 8 and 10" think ones - the 4' by 8' size - machine size.
Hard to think of running anything on one that big - I saw (Heaven forbid) forklifts
moving the stone. Then putting it outside of the building in the alley
for a place to store it until next time. SCREAM.
Me with a Metrology Handbook in my shelf. :-)

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Ignoramus8644 wrote:
I support the idea of using one in the kitchen...

On 30 Aug 2005 21:26:55 -0700, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

A used surface plate just showed up on my doorstep...amazing what
follows me home sometimes. :)

This surface plate is a Rahn 34" x 36" black granite with two ledges.

So, how does one decide if a surface plate is "good"?

If it is "bad", how do you decide whether or not it is worth
refurbishing? How much does it cost to refurbish a surface plate and
how do they do it?

And if it is not worth refurbishing, what have you used an old surface
plate for? I've already got a gravestone. ;)

Thanks for any suggestions, comments or wisecracks.

TMT

Martin H. Eastburn

The local ice cream shop has a nice 18" x 4' slab that is kept below freezing.
They fold ice cream and fruit or whatnot then put it in a cone or cup.
Now that is a nice use during August!

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

"*" wrote in message

Ignoramus8644 wrote in article
. ..

I support the idea of using one in the kitchen...

Let's see......

....you have absolutely no idea of what sort of chemicals might leach out
of the former surface plate into the food.

AND....

....the granite surface will keep you busy sharpening knives.

You can use it in YOUR kitchen if you wish, but......

Give me a hardwood or poly cutting board for the kitchen......ANY day

My thoughts, exactly!

The way I see it, unless one is involved in making certain candies, a
granite surface would be quite useless.

Harold

michael

"*" wrote in message

Ignoramus8644 wrote in article
. ..

I support the idea of using one in the kitchen...

Let's see......

....you have absolutely no idea of what sort of chemicals might leach out
of the former surface plate into the food.

AND....

....the granite surface will keep you busy sharpening knives.

You can use it in YOUR kitchen if you wish, but......

Give me a hardwood or poly cutting board for the kitchen......ANY day

My thoughts, exactly!

The way I see it, unless one is involved in making certain candies, a
granite surface would be quite useless.

Harold

Certain *awesome* candies, of which I'm familiar. I've got a piece of
granite countertop in my kitchen area. It is really neat, but I have a
wooden cutting board, also.g

Ditto what Harold said in earlier post. I have 2 surface plates and they
are both on casters. If you have the potential to be moving your plate
for any reason, you would be well off to make it easy.

I've seen resurfacing done a couple times, it's similar in technique to
the way one would flat sand a small part. A place I once worked had
several plates throughout the shop, as well as in the inspection room.
One was, IIRC, 12 feet square. When the calibration guy checked it prior
to truing, he found there was something like a 20-30 thou depression in
the center region. I don't kno the pricing structure, but I am
reasonably sure that particular job was not cheap.

I believe the instrument used to check the flatness is an
autocollimator.(sp?)

michael
Gunner

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 23:31:02 -0500, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

My wife was thinking of a number of them in the kitchen. The small ones were
thick enough to use and just under the way to heavy.

I love the big 8 and 10" think ones - the 4' by 8' size - machine size.
Hard to think of running anything on one that big - I saw (Heaven forbid) forklifts
moving the stone. Then putting it outside of the building in the alley
for a place to store it until next time. SCREAM.
Me with a Metrology Handbook in my shelf. :-)

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Im told that marble is better than granite for candy making. My folks
collected antiques for many years and our kitchen table was the candy
folding table from a very old candy manufacturer. Marble topped.

Gunner

Ignoramus8644 wrote:
I support the idea of using one in the kitchen...

On 30 Aug 2005 21:26:55 -0700, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

A used surface plate just showed up on my doorstep...amazing what
follows me home sometimes. :)

This surface plate is a Rahn 34" x 36" black granite with two ledges.

So, how does one decide if a surface plate is "good"?

If it is "bad", how do you decide whether or not it is worth
refurbishing? How much does it cost to refurbish a surface plate and
how do they do it?

And if it is not worth refurbishing, what have you used an old surface
plate for? I've already got a gravestone. ;)

Thanks for any suggestions, comments or wisecracks.

TMT

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Martin H. Eastburn

Marble is best for candy as it can hold moisture and it always feels cold.
I think it is a safer material to cook with - calcium carbonate is rather common.
Just add heat. Turn limestone into Marble.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Ignoramus8644 wrote:

I support the idea of using one in the kitchen...

On 30 Aug 2005 21:26:55 -0700, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

A used surface plate just showed up on my doorstep...amazing what
follows me home sometimes. :)

This surface plate is a Rahn 34" x 36" black granite with two ledges.

So, how does one decide if a surface plate is "good"?

If it is "bad", how do you decide whether or not it is worth
refurbishing? How much does it cost to refurbish a surface plate and
how do they do it?

And if it is not worth refurbishing, what have you used an old surface
plate for? I've already got a gravestone. ;)

Thanks for any suggestions, comments or wisecracks.

TMT

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Rob McDonald

"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote in news:43166953_3
@newspeer2.tds.net:

.... I don't like cats, and I
certainly wouldn't allow one on my food prep surfaces.

I have a good curry recipe you might try... :-)

Rob
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Rob McDonald" wrote in message
"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote in news:43166953_3
@newspeer2.tds.net:

.... I don't like cats, and I
certainly wouldn't allow one on my food prep surfaces.

I have a good curry recipe you might try... :-)

Rob

Thanks, Rob. I have the book------101 Uses for ---------g

Harold

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 11:26:13 -0700, the blithe spirit "Harold and Susan
Vordos" clearly indicated:

"Rob McDonald" wrote in message
"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote in news:43166953_3
@newspeer2.tds.net:

.... I don't like cats, and I
certainly wouldn't allow one on my food prep surfaces.

I have a good curry recipe you might try... :-)

Rob

Thanks, Rob. I have the book------101 Uses for ---------g

Would the end of that cookbook be "Cat Meat" or "Curry", Harold?
furry grin

..-.
Better Living Through Denial
---
http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 11:26:13 -0700, the blithe spirit "Harold and Susan
Vordos" clearly indicated:

"Rob McDonald" wrote in message
"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote in news:43166953_3
@newspeer2.tds.net:

.... I don't like cats, and I
certainly wouldn't allow one on my food prep surfaces.

I have a good curry recipe you might try... :-)

Rob

Thanks, Rob. I have the book------101 Uses for ---------g

Would the end of that cookbook be "Cat Meat" or "Curry", Harold?
furry grin

A distant relative recently gave me a bumper sticker-----

So many Cats
So Few Recipes