Harold and Susan Vordos

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
A used surface plate just showed up on my doorstep...amazing what
follows me home sometimes. :)

This surface plate is a Rahn 34" x 36" black granite with two ledges.

So, how does one decide if a surface plate is "good"?

If it is "bad", how do you decide whether or not it is worth
refurbishing? How much does it cost to refurbish a surface plate and
how do they do it?

And if it is not worth refurbishing, what have you used an old surface
plate for? I've already got a gravestone. ;)

Thanks for any suggestions, comments or wisecracks.

TMT

While I don't recall the details, it used to be routine for a roving service
to refinish and calibrate surface plates. They worked through local
supply houses, with advance notice. I've not seen it done, so I can't
comment on the procedure. One thing is for sure------shipping it two
directions to have it done, especially with today's high fuel prices, would
be a bad deal.

Unless yours has been very poorly used/handled, and unless you intend to use
it for QC, I wouldn't lose much sleep over it. Put it to use in your shop,
providing a wooden cover for it so it doesn't get banged up unnecessarily.
They're super nice for laying out with a height gage, or even inspecting
your work. Even if it was out a thou, you'd be unlikely to know, or have it
affect you negatively.

Make sure it's level, so you don't chase things that you lay on the surface.
It's not uncommon to use drill blanks or other round objects in the process
of inspecting or making setups. A rigid steel bench with leveling bolts in
the legs is a good idea. Once you've had one, you'll wonder how you got
along without it.

Harold