Martin H. Eastburn

My wife was thinking of a number of them in the kitchen. The small ones were
thick enough to use and just under the way to heavy.

I love the big 8 and 10" think ones - the 4' by 8' size - machine size.
Hard to think of running anything on one that big - I saw (Heaven forbid) forklifts
moving the stone. Then putting it outside of the building in the alley
for a place to store it until next time. SCREAM.
Me with a Metrology Handbook in my shelf. :-)

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Ignoramus8644 wrote:
I support the idea of using one in the kitchen...

On 30 Aug 2005 21:26:55 -0700, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

A used surface plate just showed up on my doorstep...amazing what
follows me home sometimes. :)

This surface plate is a Rahn 34" x 36" black granite with two ledges.

So, how does one decide if a surface plate is "good"?

If it is "bad", how do you decide whether or not it is worth
refurbishing? How much does it cost to refurbish a surface plate and
how do they do it?

And if it is not worth refurbishing, what have you used an old surface
plate for? I've already got a gravestone. ;)

Thanks for any suggestions, comments or wisecracks.

TMT