Anthony

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in
oups.com:

A used surface plate just showed up on my doorstep...amazing what
follows me home sometimes. :)

This surface plate is a Rahn 34" x 36" black granite with two ledges.

So, how does one decide if a surface plate is "good"?

If it is "bad", how do you decide whether or not it is worth
refurbishing? How much does it cost to refurbish a surface plate and
how do they do it?

And if it is not worth refurbishing, what have you used an old surface
plate for? I've already got a gravestone. ;)

Thanks for any suggestions, comments or wisecracks.

TMT

Unless it's broken, it is probably servicable and useful. There are
companies that come around and recertify and refinish surface plates, as
Harold mentioned. They lap it to get it back flat.
When you build your bench for it, make sure the plate is supported only
on 3 rubber isolation mounts. This helps absorb the vibration of the
floor. A 3 point mount is pretty much standard for a surface plate.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email