Gunner

Default Charlie Gary pics. Rated MA-13. Please be careful.

On 13 Aug 2005 08:52:10 -0700, "Charlie Gary"
wrote:

Cliff wrote:
On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:38:14 -0700, "PrecisionMachinisT"
wrote:

"Cliff" wrote in message
.. .

My hammers, screwdrivers, etc. are all lefthanded.

Unbelievable--it's been well over 2 years since I took that lefty / righty
poll......and now ( finally ) you come outa the closet !!!

Well, here's news for you then.......I had strongly suspected such all
along........

The ones that are not righthanded ...
Same for my sockets G.
--
Cliff

Are your adjustable wrenches metric, or regular?

Later,

Charlie

As a side note, I was working in a machine shop yesterday that was
having new networking cabling and whatnot installed. The apprentice
installer was missing his right arm, and was using the old style
lever/cable pinchers prothesis. We discussed his ability to hold
tools (he is right handed...er..hooked) and I made some
suggestions/drawings about inhancing his prosthesis with a quick
change tool holder, punch down tool, power screw driver etc etc. It
seems he will be fitted shortly for a myoelectic unit to control
servos in a completly new prosthesis, and would check into it as it
would be a very useful mod.

Given the numbers of new amputees coming back from the war, this might
perhaps be something someone would care to investigate further as a
business opportunity and service.

Im considering this myself, but havnt a clue as to where to start even
the basic research.

Gunner

jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

Given the numbers of new amputees coming back from the war, this might
perhaps be something someone would care to investigate further as a
business opportunity and service.

My trouble with that idea is I would wind up doing it all
for free....

Jim

please reply to:
Kirk Gordon

Gunner wrote:

[...]

Just a quick hipshot here, but...

If it were me, I'd start my researh at the nearest VA hospital.
Talk to people who are actually wearing plastic and stainless body
parts, or to those awaiting installation. Then find out what the
doctors have to say, and whether they see a need for some
outside-the-box creativity at the hardware end of their field.

KG

Gunner

On 13 Aug 2005 12:29:27 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Gunner says...

Given the numbers of new amputees coming back from the war, this might
perhaps be something someone would care to investigate further as a
business opportunity and service.

My trouble with that idea is I would wind up doing it all
for free....

Jim

Thats not a bad thing. Form a non profit.

Gunner

Gary H. Lucas

"Kirk Gordon" wrote in message
news:1123965667.c077b97a312a1c3e5fb3872958388295@t eranews...
Gunner wrote:

[...]

Kirk,
I'd guess that he would see a level of resistance to these ideas that would
totally shock him. Some years ago I was at a robot show and they had a
booth where companies were exhibiting robotic stuff to help the handicapped.
I spoke to some of the exhibitors and was totally amazed at how negative
they were to any ideas beyond the simplistic crap they were already doing.
My best friend is a certified computer genius. One of his other friends is
a doctor, fifteen years younger than me. He got through med school without
ever turning on a PC. My friend had to really lean on him to get him to see
what computers could do for doctors. Now he works at trying to get other
doctors to use PCs.

My friend the computer genius applied for a job in the computer department
at the hospital where his nurse wife works. He said they were really
screwed up but all the problems were easily fixed. They didn't hire him,
they hired a nurse with little computer experience who said she was burned
out with nursing! The reason they didn't hire him? Because he didn't have
"clinical' experience, because he had never worked in a hospital. The nurse
lasted six months. Every time they have a real problem they call him for
help. But they won't hire him. I told him that when they call that he
should tell them that he now has clinical experience, solving their hospital
problems, so they should hire him!

The medical industry really needs to get their heads out their asses.

Gary H. Lucas

carl mciver

"Gary H. Lucas" wrote in message
SNIP

| My friend the computer genius applied for a job in the computer department
| at the hospital where his nurse wife works. He said they were really
| screwed up but all the problems were easily fixed. They didn't hire him,
| they hired a nurse with little computer experience who said she was burned
| out with nursing! The reason they didn't hire him? Because he didn't
have
| "clinical' experience, because he had never worked in a hospital. The
nurse
| lasted six months. Every time they have a real problem they call him for
| help. But they won't hire him. I told him that when they call that he
| should tell them that he now has clinical experience, solving their
hospital
| problems, so they should hire him!
|
| The medical industry really needs to get their heads out their asses.
|
| Gary H. Lucas

The folks that work in the medical field don't know computers so well,
so don't want to let anyone know how ignorant they are in that field.
Doctors are commonly so full of themselves due to their lengthy education,
they can't possibly tolerate someone with skills they don't have or can't
comprehend. "Soft" skills aren't the same as "hard" skills. There's lots
of fields with that problem, it's usually a case of one specialized skill
needing another skill, and each not knowing anything about the other. If
you were the average computer geek and needed a person to be building
maintenance for your facilities, would you know what skills you needed
before you went hiring? Same thing. That's one of the reasons why
temporary agencies are making a killing!
My wife is in the medical field also, and her place has a separate
division or something that handles all that. Seems to work out nicely.
They came around recently and replaced all the CRT monitors with flat
screen. They gave them away to whoever wanted one, so we picked one up.
She's fond of telling me how helpful and nice those guys are, since they
jump right on a problem of any kind.
When my hobby was more inclined to electronics I pondered prosthetics a
bit, seeing as how here it was, much more modern times, and the hook was
still around from the Roman era! There was usually an issue with batteries,
but that technology is fast improving.
Perhaps you could just find an old hook and design some tools that would
attach to the hook and operate by the opening movement, and/or a mouth
operated remote. This way you can completely stay out of these guys' hair
and sell the product directly to the user. Thanks to much better body
armor, folks are coming back from Iraq with wounds that would have been
fatal if it weren't for the armor, although head and limb trauma is pretty
horrific. There's a market there if the existing establishment doesn't want
to acknowledge it, and I bet you can charge a decent price, even if you
aren't willing to deal with the insurance companies

Hawke

My friend the computer genius applied for a job in the computer department
at the hospital where his nurse wife works. He said they were really
screwed up but all the problems were easily fixed. They didn't hire him,
they hired a nurse with little computer experience who said she was burned
out with nursing! The reason they didn't hire him? Because he didn't

have
"clinical' experience, because he had never worked in a hospital. The

nurse
lasted six months. Every time they have a real problem they call him for
help. But they won't hire him. I told him that when they call that he
should tell them that he now has clinical experience, solving their

hospital
problems, so they should hire him!

The medical industry really needs to get their heads out their asses.

What are you talking about? Don't you know that America has the greatest
medical system in the world? In fact it's so good that the Bush
administration has decided to do absolutely nothing to improve it, it's that
good. I don't know why you people are so critical of everything in the
country, you must be another anti American liberal?

Hawke

Gunner

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 00:18:14 -0700, "Hawke"
wrote:

[...]

Based on your posts..we have irrefutable proof the educational system
sucks.

Gunner

Cliff

wrote:

[...]

That's not true.
He's giving billions & billions (probably trillions) more of your
dollars to the drug firms, right? While blocking actual science
& research, which might lead to more "liberals".

It's all in the bible anyway, right? Or in those voices
that he hears ... or Rove & Cheney & Rumsfeld & Lay & Delay & crew
will tell him what to say & think.

it's that
good. I don't know why you people are so critical of everything in the
country, you must be another anti American liberal?

Hawke

I wish I had free liberal health care like Gunner gets.
I could sell all of his cigarettes too ....
--
Cliff
Cliff

wrote:

[...]

Hawke: 16
Gunner: 0
--
Cliff

Bing

"Gary H. Lucas" wrote in

The medical industry really needs to get their heads out their asses.

Gary,

Yea I agree. But the FDA needs to git the heeeeell out of the way as well
or you will never see anything good come to fruition.

Bing
Cliff

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 11:47:42 GMT, Bing wrote:

But the FDA needs to git the heeeeell out of the way as well
or you will never see anything good come to fruition.

Like in the good old days ....
http://www.ianwhitney.com/pic/quack/home.html

http://images.google.com/images?q=pa...ff&sa=G&imgsz=

http://images.google.com/images?svnu...nostrums+quack

One wonders how much wingers would pay for treatments.
--
Cliff
Bing

Cliff wrote in
:

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 11:47:42 GMT, Bing wrote:

But the FDA needs to git the heeeeell out of the way as well
or you will never see anything good come to fruition.

Like in the good old days ....
http://www.ianwhitney.com/pic/quack/home.html

http://images.google.com/images?q=pa...00&hl=en&lr=&i
e=UTF-8&safe=off&sa=G&imgsz=

http://images.google.com/images?svnu...O-8859-1&safe=
off&q=nostrums+quack

One wonders how much wingers would pay for treatments.

I dunno Cliff. Why dont ya ask some of yer lib friends how much it costs?

Honestly, though, what is up with you and wingers?

The world wants to know! Well maybe not the world but 1 or 2 peeps.

Bing
nobody

The medical industry really needs to get their heads out their asses.

What are you talking about? Don't you know that America has the greatest
medical system in the world? In fact it's so good that the Bush
administration has decided to do absolutely nothing to improve it, it's that
good. I don't know why you people are so critical of everything in the
country, you must be another anti American liberal?

Hawke

Does every discussion in this news group have to degenerate to
politics? **** off!

Cliff

http://www.webjourneymen.net/images/Ozzy.jpg G.
--
Cliff

Jim Newell

Not everybody has to, and almost nobody does, but there are a few who just
can't seem to help themselves.

You just have to realize that if you start a conversation about a metal
potato peeler, at some point someone will place blame for something on Bush,
Clinton, the Dems, or the Repubs. The thread will eventually die with the
all to familure catch phrase "Find those WMD's yet?"

Appreciate the first 3-4 responses, don't forget to thank the people who
helped you out, and leave the rest of the thread for the "fringe" to fight
amongst themselves.

"nobody" wrote in message

The medical industry really needs to get their heads out their asses.

What are you talking about? Don't you know that America has the greatest
medical system in the world? In fact it's so good that the Bush
administration has decided to do absolutely nothing to improve it, it's
that
good. I don't know why you people are so critical of everything in the
country, you must be another anti American liberal?

Hawke

Does every discussion in this news group have to degenerate to
politics? **** off!

Hi, all.
If someone is TRUELY interested in this field of endeavor, please email
my brother and he can get you connected to the right people. He is
director of services for handicapted students at Messiah College in PA.
He has a lot of people both on campus and around the country that do
this sort of thing. His email is: KDran@messiah,edu.

Several years ago I met a young engineer at a garage sale here in
Central Oregon. He was combining electronics, computers and mechanical
devices to allow severly handicapped/injured people mobility and
communication. I have lost track of him, now.

I am sure Keith will be able to point you in the right direction.

Several years ago he asked me to work up something to help a young lady
who had no use of her legs. She wanted to be a music teacher, but had
no way to operate the sustain pedal on a piano. Some people at Messiah
were working on a pneumatic device and he wanted someone to work on a
parallel track to see who could come up with the best device. I built a
foot operated by an old aircraft flap control I happened to have
around. They chose the pneumatic version. It was faster and quiter, but
mine had more power! A really fun project!

Paul

Oops. Even reviewing what I wrote, I got it wrong! .

OT - FOLLOW-UP 1: Potty-mouth Charlie Self [email protected] Woodworking 19 May 6th 04 06:08 PM
OT-John Kerry Gunner Metalworking 137 February 11th 04 07:38 PM
Extra wide door OLE DOC BONER Home Repair 7 September 6th 03 09:19 PM