carl mciver

"Gary H. Lucas" wrote in message
news:qHvLe.505$286.306@trndny09...
SNIP

| My friend the computer genius applied for a job in the computer department
| at the hospital where his nurse wife works. He said they were really
| screwed up but all the problems were easily fixed. They didn't hire him,
| they hired a nurse with little computer experience who said she was burned
| out with nursing! The reason they didn't hire him? Because he didn't
have
| "clinical' experience, because he had never worked in a hospital. The
nurse
| lasted six months. Every time they have a real problem they call him for
| help. But they won't hire him. I told him that when they call that he
| should tell them that he now has clinical experience, solving their
hospital
| problems, so they should hire him!
|
| The medical industry really needs to get their heads out their asses.
|
| Gary H. Lucas

The folks that work in the medical field don't know computers so well,
so don't want to let anyone know how ignorant they are in that field.
Doctors are commonly so full of themselves due to their lengthy education,
they can't possibly tolerate someone with skills they don't have or can't
comprehend. "Soft" skills aren't the same as "hard" skills. There's lots
of fields with that problem, it's usually a case of one specialized skill
needing another skill, and each not knowing anything about the other. If
you were the average computer geek and needed a person to be building
maintenance for your facilities, would you know what skills you needed
before you went hiring? Same thing. That's one of the reasons why
temporary agencies are making a killing!
My wife is in the medical field also, and her place has a separate
division or something that handles all that. Seems to work out nicely.
They came around recently and replaced all the CRT monitors with flat
screen. They gave them away to whoever wanted one, so we picked one up.
She's fond of telling me how helpful and nice those guys are, since they
jump right on a problem of any kind.
When my hobby was more inclined to electronics I pondered prosthetics a
bit, seeing as how here it was, much more modern times, and the hook was
still around from the Roman era! There was usually an issue with batteries,
but that technology is fast improving.
Perhaps you could just find an old hook and design some tools that would
attach to the hook and operate by the opening movement, and/or a mouth
operated remote. This way you can completely stay out of these guys' hair
and sell the product directly to the user. Thanks to much better body
armor, folks are coming back from Iraq with wounds that would have been
fatal if it weren't for the armor, although head and limb trauma is pretty
horrific. There's a market there if the existing establishment doesn't want
to acknowledge it, and I bet you can charge a decent price, even if you
aren't willing to deal with the insurance companies