Gary H. Lucas

"Kirk Gordon" wrote in message
news:1123965667.c077b97a312a1c3e5fb3872958388295@t eranews...
Gunner wrote:

As a side note, I was working in a machine shop yesterday that was
having new networking cabling and whatnot installed. The apprentice
installer was missing his right arm, and was using the old style
lever/cable pinchers prothesis. We discussed his ability to hold
tools (he is right handed...er..hooked) and I made some
suggestions/drawings about inhancing his prosthesis with a quick
change tool holder, punch down tool, power screw driver etc etc. It
seems he will be fitted shortly for a myoelectic unit to control
servos in a completly new prosthesis, and would check into it as it
would be a very useful mod. Given the numbers of new amputees coming back
from the war, this might
perhaps be something someone would care to investigate further as a
business opportunity and service.

Im considering this myself, but havnt a clue as to where to start even
the basic research.

Just a quick hipshot here, but...

If it were me, I'd start my researh at the nearest VA hospital. Talk to
people who are actually wearing plastic and stainless body parts, or to
those awaiting installation. Then find out what the doctors have to say,
and whether they see a need for some outside-the-box creativity at the
hardware end of their field.

KG

Kirk,
I'd guess that he would see a level of resistance to these ideas that would
totally shock him. Some years ago I was at a robot show and they had a
booth where companies were exhibiting robotic stuff to help the handicapped.
I spoke to some of the exhibitors and was totally amazed at how negative
they were to any ideas beyond the simplistic crap they were already doing.
My best friend is a certified computer genius. One of his other friends is
a doctor, fifteen years younger than me. He got through med school without
ever turning on a PC. My friend had to really lean on him to get him to see
what computers could do for doctors. Now he works at trying to get other
doctors to use PCs.

My friend the computer genius applied for a job in the computer department
at the hospital where his nurse wife works. He said they were really
screwed up but all the problems were easily fixed. They didn't hire him,
they hired a nurse with little computer experience who said she was burned
out with nursing! The reason they didn't hire him? Because he didn't have
"clinical' experience, because he had never worked in a hospital. The nurse
lasted six months. Every time they have a real problem they call him for
help. But they won't hire him. I told him that when they call that he
should tell them that he now has clinical experience, solving their hospital
problems, so they should hire him!

The medical industry really needs to get their heads out their asses.

Gary H. Lucas