Chris

Default Looking for decent 115 piece drill bit set.

I am looking for a decent 115 HSS drill bit set. Something decent but not a
cheapo import. Heck I see titanium sets on eBay for $9.99. Not something I
would be willing to deal with.

Anyone have any experience with a decent set at a decent price?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Robin S.

"Chris" wrote in message
I am looking for a decent 115 HSS drill bit set.

What are you drilling? Aluminum and plastics are more forgiving. Steels are
less forgiving (sometimes much less).

Also, you may want to just buy the sizes you're going to need. While it's a
pain to have to buy them individually, you can spend your money where it
counts and you'll always have good drill bits. There are _many_ sizes that
are _never_ used. On a good set, you'll only save something like 10-15% as
opposed to buying every size individually.

Regards,

Robin

Grant Erwin

Robin S. wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message

I am looking for a decent 115 HSS drill bit set.

What are you drilling? Aluminum and plastics are more forgiving. Steels are
less forgiving (sometimes much less).

Also, you may want to just buy the sizes you're going to need. While it's a
pain to have to buy them individually, you can spend your money where it
counts and you'll always have good drill bits. There are _many_ sizes that
are _never_ used. On a good set, you'll only save something like 10-15% as
opposed to buying every size individually.

I bought a decent set of Union Butterfield once. I use them a lot. I use cheap
Chinese drills when I don't care much. Also, I buy 10-packs of high quality 1/8"
drills because those are what I normally start with. Center drill, then push
through with 1/8", then usually directly to the size I need unless it's critical
in which case I'll take another step or two.

The UB sets go on sale sometimes from J&L. I don't remember it being cheap,
though. If you aren't good at precision drill grinding then it's likely money
well spent. Nothing special about UB.

Titanium is just a coating. They can put that on lipstick if they want, doesn't
mean it will drill very well.

Buying 115 drills might make sense, but unwrapping them oh my God what a pain.

GWE
Roger Shoaf

The cheap Harbor Freight made in China junk is for the birds.

You might consider buying a good set of fractional drills and the economy
sets in the fractions and the numbers. Then buy 2 each of the tap drills in
stub and jobbers length for the taps you are likely to need (6's 8's 10's
etc.) You can probably do OK with just the drill in the set for the odd ball
tap drill like the 12's. or the 14's)

Now if you find you wear out or break the occasional letter or number drill
then replace the cheap one with a good one.

Later on you might want to get a dedicated stub drill set. These are
cheaper and will walk a whole lot less than the jobbers.

An other thing that comes in handy is some 12" long aircraft bits in 1/8,
1/4. Every once in a while these come in real handy.

In your real common sizes you might want to get some split point bits also.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

"Chris" wrote in message
I am looking for a decent 115 HSS drill bit set. Something decent but not

cheapo import. Heck I see titanium sets on eBay for $9.99. Not something

would be willing to deal with.

Anyone have any experience with a decent set at a decent price?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Chris

Robin,
I would have to say about 70% steel, hence my need for a quality set.

Grant,
I understand exactly what you are saying. I am currently in that position
with a number of drill bits everywhere. This is why I am trying to
consolidate and buy a decent set so I will know where they are etc.. Also
plan to buy stock of the more used ones to replace it in the kit.

Chris

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Robin S. wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message

[...]

Chris

Roger,
That does give me something to think about.

Thanks,
Chris

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message
[...]

About the time I had mastered getting the toothpaste back in the tube,
then

"Chris" wrote in message
I am looking for a decent 115 HSS drill bit set. Something decent but
not

cheapo import. Heck I see titanium sets on eBay for $9.99. Not
something

would be willing to deal with.

Anyone have any experience with a decent set at a decent price?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

woodworker88

Woodcraft, $60, Made in USA, haven't bought for myself, but have used
in a school machine shop and can't wait to save up enough to buy one.
115 Piece: Fractional, #1-60, A-Z

D Murphy

"Chris" wrote in :

I am looking for a decent 115 HSS drill bit set. Something decent but
not a cheapo import. Heck I see titanium sets on eBay for $9.99. Not
something I would be willing to deal with.

Anyone have any experience with a decent set at a decent price?

Precision Twist. Made in the USA. I think they have decent pricing and they
are good quality.

http://www.precisiontwistdrill.com/

Drill sets are he

http://www.precisiontwistdrill.com/c..._Catalog/08%20
_DRILL_SETS.pdf

If you want drill bits that will last forever forget the TiN coat and buy
the HSSCO (High Speed Steel Cobalt) set.

They sell through distributors, so shop around.

--

Dan

Gunner

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 16:46:27 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

Buying 115 drills might make sense, but unwrapping them oh my God what a pain.

GWE

I just go into Reliable Tools, grab a couple handfulls out of the
drill bins, stick em into a sack, pay the $2 a pound, then sit in
front of the computer posting to RCM and sort them out with a digital
caliper and stick em into the Huot drawers

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty."
Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly
save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long
Gunner

On 10 Aug 2005 20:49:11 -0700, "woodworker88"
wrote:

Woodcraft, $60, Made in USA, haven't bought for myself, but have used
in a school machine shop and can't wait to save up enough to buy one.
115 Piece: Fractional, #1-60, A-Z

The $39 set at Costco is supposed to be pretty good.

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty."
Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly
save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long

Norm Dresner

"D Murphy" wrote in message
"Chris" wrote in :

I am looking for a decent 115 HSS drill bit set. Something decent but
not a cheapo import. Heck I see titanium sets on eBay for $9.99. Not
something I would be willing to deal with.

Anyone have any experience with a decent set at a decent price?

Precision Twist. Made in the USA. I think they have decent pricing and
they
are good quality.

http://www.precisiontwistdrill.com/

Drill sets are he

http://www.precisiontwistdrill.com/c..._Catalog/08%20
_DRILL_SETS.pdf

If you want drill bits that will last forever forget the TiN coat and buy
the HSSCO (High Speed Steel Cobalt) set.

They sell through distributors, so shop around.

Even though they sell through distributors, they've got to have _some_ idea
of the prices they go for. I just hate sites that won't tell you what
something costs.

Norm

Billy Hiebert

J&L Industrial lists around 15 115piece sets from about $40 to $500:
http://www.jlindustrial.com/search/s...equestid=28395
On most of their products they list several Mfg's so you can buy the
quality you need. They also ship next day for the price of ground. I've
had good service with them.

--
Billy Hiebert
HIEBERT SCULPTURE WORKS

Chris wrote:
I am looking for a decent 115 HSS drill bit set. Something decent but not a
cheapo import. Heck I see titanium sets on eBay for $9.99. Not something I
would be willing to deal with.

Anyone have any experience with a decent set at a decent price?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

D Murphy

"Norm Dresner" wrote in
:

"D Murphy" wrote in message
"Chris" wrote in :

[...]

The pricing is easy enough to find on their distributors web sites. MSC
has the Precision Twist 115 pc set in HSS for $324.81 and the Cobalt set
for $562.10, which is about $100.00 cheaper than a Cleveland set. The
cheapest set on MSC is an import for $42.00. A Huot 115 pc. drill index
empty costs more than that, so imagine the quality of this import.
The cheapest Cobalt set is $386.47.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/N2DRVSH

--

Dan

Chuck Sherwood

I am looking for a decent 115 HSS drill bit set. Something decent but not a

J&L sells Hertel brand for about 100 bucks.
Enco sells made in USA generic for about the same price that is decent too.
(I have both).
Chris

Looks like Enco has a sale on a 115 piece HSS set made in the USA for $79.
It just got my vote.

"Chris" wrote in message
I am looking for a decent 115 HSS drill bit set. Something decent but not
a cheapo import. Heck I see titanium sets on eBay for $9.99. Not
something I would be willing to deal with.

Anyone have any experience with a decent set at a decent price?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Mortiser vs. Drill Press Adam Diehl Woodworking 16 November 28th 04 02:14 AM
Drill help barry martin Home Repair 0 November 2nd 04 11:27 PM
Makita Cordless 18V Drill - Chuck Noise Quddus UK diy 5 June 28th 04 10:09 AM
Is Drill Doctor worth the price???? Harry Conover Metalworking 33 April 6th 04 02:41 PM
Mill, drill machine Ronnie Lyons, Meridian, Idaho Metalworking 6 January 17th 04 09:34 PM