Chris

Robin,
I would have to say about 70% steel, hence my need for a quality set.

Grant,
I understand exactly what you are saying. I am currently in that position
with a number of drill bits everywhere. This is why I am trying to
consolidate and buy a decent set so I will know where they are etc.. Also
plan to buy stock of the more used ones to replace it in the kit.

Chris

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Robin S. wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message

I am looking for a decent 115 HSS drill bit set.

What are you drilling? Aluminum and plastics are more forgiving. Steels
are less forgiving (sometimes much less).

Also, you may want to just buy the sizes you're going to need. While it's
a pain to have to buy them individually, you can spend your money where
it counts and you'll always have good drill bits. There are _many_ sizes
that are _never_ used. On a good set, you'll only save something like
10-15% as opposed to buying every size individually.

I bought a decent set of Union Butterfield once. I use them a lot. I use
cheap Chinese drills when I don't care much. Also, I buy 10-packs of high
quality 1/8" drills because those are what I normally start with. Center
drill, then push through with 1/8", then usually directly to the size I
need unless it's critical in which case I'll take another step or two.

The UB sets go on sale sometimes from J&L. I don't remember it being
cheap, though. If you aren't good at precision drill grinding then it's
likely money well spent. Nothing special about UB.

Titanium is just a coating. They can put that on lipstick if they want,
doesn't mean it will drill very well.

Buying 115 drills might make sense, but unwrapping them oh my God what a
pain.

GWE