Don Stauffer

Default Model engine magazine

I was so disappointed to see Strictly IC shut down. I have heard there
is a new magazine coming out, called something like "model engine
builder." Anyone know anything about this?
Moray Cuthill

"Don Stauffer" wrote in message
I was so disappointed to see Strictly IC shut down. I have heard there is
a new magazine coming out, called something like "model engine builder."
Anyone know anything about this?

It is Model Engine Builder, and the second issue is already out.
Fantastic magazine, in a very similar style to Strictly IC.

Website can be found at http://www.modelenginebuilder.com/

Nick Müller

Moray Cuthill wrote:

Fantastic magazine, in a very similar style to Strictly IC.

Really? I was thinking about ordering it. But last time I checked,
nothing changed on their website. I had the impression that they are
gone before they started.
Didn't want to make a blind order, because their shipping to Germany is
not the cheapest.

Just rechecked the website. No changes since several months, no content
of the last isues. Well, if they spend the time for the mag it's OK ...

And are the plans metric?
d&g

Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models:
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Nick Müller" wrote in message
Moray Cuthill wrote:

Fantastic magazine, in a very similar style to Strictly IC.

Really? I was thinking about ordering it. But last time I checked,
nothing changed on their website. I had the impression that they are
gone before they started.
Didn't want to make a blind order, because their shipping to Germany is
not the cheapest.

Just rechecked the website. No changes since several months, no content
of the last isues. Well, if they spend the time for the mag it's OK ...

And are the plans metric?
d&g

Nah, they don't use that lousy system. We're civilized here in the States.

It's done in inches and decimals. And very well, in fact.

I can't help but think anyone that likes to build things wouldn't enjoy the
magazine. It comes well printed, with all prints B size (11" x 17"),
folded, but not fastened to the magazine. You don't have to dismantle the
magazine to access them for shop use. The nice thing is there's a lot of
them.

I highly recommend the magazine. The second issue has all the prints
included to build the Morton M5, a rotary 5 cylinder engine for those that
aren't up to speed.

Usual disclaimers apply. I am not affiliated with the magazine in any way,
just a pleased subscriber.

Harold

Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models:
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Ellwe 2FB * VTM 87 * DLM-S3a * cubic
more to come ...

Nick Müller

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

I highly recommend the magazine.

OK, so I have a birthday present for me. :-)

BTW: 3 (?) years ago, I ordered all the MBSR's that were recommended
here. And I wasn't dissapointed at all. Reminds me to check for MBSR#4

Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models:
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Ellwe 2FB * VTM 87 * DLM-S3a * cubic
more to come ...

Nick Müller

Nick Müller wrote:

MBSR's

Read: TMBR

Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models:
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Ellwe 2FB * VTM 87 * DLM-S3a * cubic
more to come ...
Siggy

I did those plans of the M5 in this months issue - what do you think?

For the next issue the Morton M1 will be published and the issue after that
the Morton M2. I must say that dealing with the Magazine's publisher, Mike
Rehmus, has been a complete pleasure - what a class act!

Robert Sigler

I highly recommend the magazine. The second issue has all the prints
included to build the Morton M5, a rotary 5 cylinder engine for those that
aren't up to speed.

Usual disclaimers apply. I am not affiliated with the magazine in any
way,
just a pleased subscriber.

Harold

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Siggy" wrote in message
. ..
I did those plans of the M5 in this months issue - what do you think?

I'm in the middle of building a house (the house from hell, from all
indications) and am spread pretty thin right now, so all I've done is take a
casual glance. I'll try to get to them tonight and give you a better
report.

Harold

Don Stauffer

Moray Cuthill wrote:
"Don Stauffer" wrote in message

I was so disappointed to see Strictly IC shut down. I have heard there is
a new magazine coming out, called something like "model engine builder."
Anyone know anything about this?

It is Model Engine Builder, and the second issue is already out.
Fantastic magazine, in a very similar style to Strictly IC.

Website can be found at http://www.modelenginebuilder.com/

Many thanks. Downloaded and printed subscription form- will get it in
mail today :-)

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Siggy" wrote in message
. ..
I did those plans of the M5 in this months issue - what do you think?

For the next issue the Morton M1 will be published and the issue after

that
the Morton M2. I must say that dealing with the Magazine's publisher,

Mike
Rehmus, has been a complete pleasure - what a class act!

Robert Sigler

Siggy,

After looking at the drawings, I'd say you've done an excellent job. The
only question I'd have now is if the information is complete, and does it
work together. Things like that are usually found only when you're building
a project, when what appears to be correct, isn't. If you've handled
that issue, you've done an outstanding job. The prints have some
designations with which I'm not familiar, but I've been away from the shop
since '83, and many things are changed, so I attribute that to my not being
up to speed these days. It's hell getting old! g

Harold

Tim Wescott

Don Stauffer wrote:
I was so disappointed to see Strictly IC shut down. I have heard there
is a new magazine coming out, called something like "model engine
builder." Anyone know anything about this?

Their web site is still up claiming to sell backissues -- has that
folded, or do you just mean the magazine itself?

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Moray Cuthill

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
Don Stauffer wrote:
I was so disappointed to see Strictly IC shut down. I have heard there
is a new magazine coming out, called something like "model engine
builder." Anyone know anything about this?

Their web site is still up claiming to sell backissues -- has that folded,
or do you just mean the magazine itself?

I think he means the magazine. All back issues are still currently
available, as far as i know.

Tim Wescott

Don Stauffer wrote:

I was so disappointed to see Strictly IC shut down. I have heard there
is a new magazine coming out, called something like "model engine
builder." Anyone know anything about this?

Their web site is still up claiming to sell backissues -- has that folded,
or do you just mean the magazine itself?

I think he means the magazine. All back issues are still currently
available, as far as i know.

I've really got to buy some copies of that. I always start out trying
to decide which year I'm going to buy first, then decide that I just
want to buy them all, then put it off 'cause I don't want to spend that
much at once.

Yes, I should just start with the first year, then buy the next, etc.

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Moray Cuthill

Don Stauffer wrote:

I was so disappointed to see Strictly IC shut down. I have heard there
is a new magazine coming out, called something like "model engine
builder." Anyone know anything about this?

Their web site is still up claiming to sell backissues -- has that
folded, or do you just mean the magazine itself?

I think he means the magazine. All back issues are still currently
available, as far as i know.

I've really got to buy some copies of that. I always start out trying to
decide which year I'm going to buy first, then decide that I just want to
buy them all, then put it off 'cause I don't want to spend that much at
once.

Yes, I should just start with the first year, then buy the next, etc.

I've got that same problem.
I've currently got the first 2 years, and the last 4 years, so I just need
to get the middle 8years.
But it's going to be expensive as I can't buy them direct anymore, unless I
go to the hassle off getting a US money order. I can buy them through Camden
in the UK, but I'm sure they'll add a good mark-up onto the price.....might
be better to get that US money order afterall.

The reason I've got the years I have, is I wanted specific articles (The
Dux, and the Kirk Dyno), so I just bought the complete years, and also added
the first two years with the intention off gradually buying the rest.
That was a couple years ago, and I've still not got around to buying the
rest.

Mungo Bulge

---- snip ----
| And are the plans metric?
| d&g
|
| Nah, they don't use that lousy system. We're civilized here in the
States.
---- snip ----
| Harold

Now I know this off-hand comment was made in good humour, so I make my
comment in the same atmosphere of good humour and without malice of
intent. It always amuses me when our good neighbours to the south
(yes, I too live in the land of metric) make an off hand comment about
the metric system, especially if they imply the "States" has no use
for it. The reason I find it amusing is that they will frequently
malign us for having recently (40 years) accepted the metric system
of measure.

Little known US history fact:

Standard of Length: -- In 1866, the United States, by act of Congress,
passed a law making the meter, the only measure of length that has
been legalized by the United States Government.

Cool

Shawn

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Mungo Bulge" wrote in message

---- snip ----
| And are the plans metric?
| d&g
|
| Nah, they don't use that lousy system. We're civilized here in the
States.
---- snip ----
| Harold

Now I know this off-hand comment was made in good humour, so I make my
comment in the same atmosphere of good humour and without malice of
intent. It always amuses me when our good neighbours to the south
(yes, I too live in the land of metric) make an off hand comment about
the metric system, especially if they imply the "States" has no use
for it. The reason I find it amusing is that they will frequently
malign us for having recently (40 years) accepted the metric system
of measure.

Little known US history fact:

Standard of Length: -- In 1866, the United States, by act of Congress,
passed a law making the meter, the only measure of length that has
been legalized by the United States Government.

Cool

Shawn

Yet the bureau of standards has a platinum bar that isn't metric. g

Yeah, my comments are tongue in cheek. I realize the metric system is far
and away simpler, yet when you've grown up with the inch system, it's not
all that easy to convert. It's also not easy to relate to sizes. I always
convert (mentally) to something I know. I relate the meter to a yard, and
the millimeters to 35 MM film. Helps me put size in perspective.

Many of us have heavily invested in measuring tools and machine tools that
aren't the least metric friendly, myself included. I'm so comfortable
with the inch system that it's a huge PITA to do anything metric. When I
do, I always convert to the decimal system (in inches) which makes far more
sense to me. Armed with that, you can clearly see that I, too, use the
metric system after a fashion (base ten, anyway).

Harold

Tom Miller

Yeah, my comments are tongue in cheek. I realize the metric system is

far
and away simpler, yet when you've grown up with the inch system, it's not
all that easy to convert. It's also not easy to relate to sizes.

I was raised in the Imperial system in Canada. Moved to Australia just in
time to get caught up in the change to the metric system. Just got my head
around it comfortaby,and got transfered to the Fiji Islands which was still
Imperial measurements. About 2 years into my tour of duty, they changed to
the metric system. Spent the last twenty five years back in Australia in the
metric system. Now that I've retired, I work as a volenteer restorer in a
science and technology museum, and yes, most of the stuff I work on is 80
years old and is all Imperail measurement.

I just wish they'd make up their bloody minds

Tom

I always
convert (mentally) to something I know. I relate the meter to a yard,

and
the millimeters to 35 MM film. Helps me put size in perspective.

Easy ! 25 mm is the width of your thumb. A litre is about an American
quart( Not an Imperial quart)
All engineering measurements are done in metres or millimetres. Centimetres
is for measuring cloth or some other domestic stuff but not engineering.

A ltire of beer weighs about a kilogram.

Everthing else is minor detail.

Many of us have heavily invested in measuring tools and machine tools that
aren't the least metric friendly, myself included. I'm so comfortable
with the inch system that it's a huge PITA to do anything metric.

Some of the world greatest inventions are the digital vernier and
micrometer. The push of a button gives either system

When I
do, I always convert to the decimal system (in inches) which makes far

more
sense to me. Armed with that, you can clearly see that I, too, use the
metric system after a fashion (base ten, anyway).

Harold

Don Stauffer

Mungo Bulge wrote:

Now I know this off-hand comment was made in good humour, so I make my
comment in the same atmosphere of good humour and without malice of
intent. It always amuses me when our good neighbours to the south
(yes, I too live in the land of metric) make an off hand comment about
the metric system, especially if they imply the "States" has no use
for it. The reason I find it amusing is that they will frequently
malign us for having recently (40 years) accepted the metric system
of measure.

Little known US history fact:

Standard of Length: -- In 1866, the United States, by act of Congress,
passed a law making the meter, the only measure of length that has
been legalized by the United States Government.

Keeping this in the metalworking topic- I am a retired physicist, and
did all my professional work in metric (most of it anyway). So I am
bilinqual- metric or Imperial.

However, I can pick up a drill and size it pretty easily in imperial
sizes. Same for wrenches. Not able to do that as well in metric. In
some ways it is sad that we are not bilinqual in units, but I must admit
lifelong experience in sizing things makes it hard to switch completely
to metric.

Now, if I ever get to the point where I can identify sheet metal by
guage just by estimation :-) On the other hand, with the ridiculously
cheap prices on dial and even digital calipers these days, I don't
really need to estimate or guess.

I guess maybe fractional sizes have sort of a binary component when we
are under an inch. Maybe the human brain likes binary better than
digital :-)
Mungo Bulge

Good reading, my source, Machinery's Handbook (23) page 2413
(different page # in different issues) Metric Systems of Measurement

| "Mungo Bulge" wrote in message
| "Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote in message
| |
| ---- snip ----
--- snip ---

| Yet the bureau of standards has a platinum bar that isn't metric.

And two metre prototypes # 21 and 27

---- snip ----

| Many of us have heavily invested in measuring tools and machine
tools that
| aren't the least metric friendly, myself included. I'm so
comfortable
| with the inch system that it's a huge PITA to do anything metric.
When I
| do, I always convert to the decimal system (in inches) which makes
far more
| sense to me. Armed with that, you can clearly see that I, too, use
the
| metric system after a fashion (base ten, anyway).

Tell me about it, I too have the measurement problem. My lathe is
English, my mill is metric, and I have at least two of every measuring
tool what isn't electronic. I have two sets of wrenches, taps, etc.
When I get stock, it could be metric, it could be English. But then
that's what I get paid to do...

Jim Stewart

Don Stauffer wrote:
Mungo Bulge wrote:

[...]

I find the metric system slowly but surely
creeping into the electronics industry as
well. Many components are hard metric and
all the printed circuit board layout programs
can switch back and forth from imperial to
metric on the fly. Pity the fool that takes
a 100 pin hard metric part does a quick
conversion to inches of the pin-to-pin spacing
and uses that to layout the part.
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
Don Stauffer wrote:
Mungo Bulge wrote:

[...]

I was absolutely shocked at the ease at which I converted to metric when I
refined precious metals. Not having previously worked at length with
volumes (very unlike linear measurements, where I'd spent my entire adult
life), I quickly adapted to liters. I can't help but think it's a far
better and easier system, providing you don't already have programming.
It's hard to abandon old ways, and gets even harder as we age. Or should I
be speaking for only myself? g

Harold

Don Stauffer

Jim Stewart wrote:

Pity the fool that takes
a 100 pin hard metric part does a quick
conversion to inches of the pin-to-pin spacing
and uses that to layout the part.

Or the programmer on the Mars probe who put a velocity constant into the
guidance program in Imperial rather than the metric the guidance system
was expecting. Lost a multi-million dollar space probe.
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Siggy" wrote in message
. ..
I did those plans of the M5 in this months issue - what do you think?

For the next issue the Morton M1 will be published and the issue after

that
the Morton M2. I must say that dealing with the Magazine's publisher,

Mike
Rehmus, has been a complete pleasure - what a class act!

Robert Sigler

Thought you might enjoy reading some very nice comments on your drawings.
Please follow this link.

http://www.chaski.com/ubb/showthread...s&Number=70031
&Main=70031#Post70031

Well done, Siggy!

Harold

Nick Müller

Siggy wrote:

I did those plans of the M5 in this months issue - what do you think?

I haven't seen the plans yet*)
But what I'd like to know how many hours you spent on it.

*)
Got my 55$ yesterday, will send ca$h because it's much easier than
registering PayPal and all that crap. My order will go out today.

Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models:
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Ellwe 2FB * VTM 87 * DLM-S3a * cubic
more to come ...

steamer

--Siggy you can come visit my shop any time! Beautiful
drawings..

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Just another fart in
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : the Elevator of Life...

Siggy

Not really sure how many hours I spent on them but if you include the time
to build the 3D solid CAD model, do the 2D drawings, the renderings and the
many, many review cycles it was definitely well over 100 hours. Probably
over 200.

Robert

Siggy wrote:

I did those plans of the M5 in this months issue - what do you think?

I haven't seen the plans yet*)
But what I'd like to know how many hours you spent on it.

*)
Got my 55$ yesterday, will send ca$h because it's much easier than
registering PayPal and all that crap. My order will go out today.

Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models:
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Ellwe 2FB * VTM 87 * DLM-S3a * cubic
more to come ...

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Siggy" wrote in message
t...
Wow! Thanks for sending this link. It was a huge amount of work but
comments like this make it all worthwhile!

Robert

My pleasure!

Keep up the beautiful work!

Harold