Harold and Susan Vordos

"Mungo Bulge" wrote in message

---- snip ----
| And are the plans metric?
| d&g
|
| Nah, they don't use that lousy system. We're civilized here in the
States.
---- snip ----
| Harold

Now I know this off-hand comment was made in good humour, so I make my
comment in the same atmosphere of good humour and without malice of
intent. It always amuses me when our good neighbours to the south
(yes, I too live in the land of metric) make an off hand comment about
the metric system, especially if they imply the "States" has no use
for it. The reason I find it amusing is that they will frequently
malign us for having recently (40 years) accepted the metric system
of measure.

Little known US history fact:

Standard of Length: -- In 1866, the United States, by act of Congress,
passed a law making the meter, the only measure of length that has
been legalized by the United States Government.

Cool

Shawn

Yet the bureau of standards has a platinum bar that isn't metric. g

Yeah, my comments are tongue in cheek. I realize the metric system is far
and away simpler, yet when you've grown up with the inch system, it's not
all that easy to convert. It's also not easy to relate to sizes. I always
convert (mentally) to something I know. I relate the meter to a yard, and
the millimeters to 35 MM film. Helps me put size in perspective.

Many of us have heavily invested in measuring tools and machine tools that
aren't the least metric friendly, myself included. I'm so comfortable
with the inch system that it's a huge PITA to do anything metric. When I
do, I always convert to the decimal system (in inches) which makes far more
sense to me. Armed with that, you can clearly see that I, too, use the
metric system after a fashion (base ten, anyway).

Harold