jim rozen

Default Conservation of Bustedness

There's only so much stuff that can be working correctly
in the universe at one time.

I scored a *really* nice Thor D-handle drill at a garage sale last
week, ten bucks.

This weekend I had some spare time so I took the Jacobs chuck off
and dismantled it, cleaned it, and re-assemebled. Then I figured
the cord was pretty old and the plug was punky I would change that
out too.

I had a nice heavy duty cordset with a molded plug, so it was
an easy change. I was gonna have a nice D-handle drill to
compliment my smaller milwaukee.

While doing the cord I figured the cord clamp wasn't *quite*
grabbing the cord enough, so I thought some heat-shrink on the
cord OD would improve matters. A quick trip to the heat-shrink
department and then I fired up the heat gun to do the deed on
it.

There was an impressive *Pop* from the innards of the heat gun,
and then smoke began to gently waft from the air intake. Turns
out the handle (which had been spinning a bit loose for a while,
this is an elderly Veeco that I've had for years) had finally
spun enough to short the neutral wire against the hot switch
lead.

So after I put electrical tape on the drill cordset instead,
and had that all back together, I opened up the heat gun next.

Cleaned out all the crud in there, cut back the linecord and
also put red locktite on the handle (too bad I didn't do
that 20 years ago!) and generally cleaned up the wiring which
was, honestly, kinda haywire. "Who the hell made this mess,"
oh it was me. There were even wire nuts in there! I could
replace those with soldered joints and put some heat-shrink
tubing.... well, never mind, wire nuts lasted 20 years so
far.

So now the drill and the heat gun work. So something else
is fixing to go bust anytime now...

Jim

please reply to:

DeepDiver

"jim rozen" wrote in message

While doing the cord I figured the cord clamp wasn't *quite*
grabbing the cord enough, so I thought some heat-shrink on
the cord OD would improve matters.

There was an impressive *Pop* from the innards of the heat
gun, and then smoke began to gently waft from the air intake.

So after I put electrical tape on the drill cordset...

That's why you should always keep a spare BIC Lighter around. Just rotate
the heat shrink, like a pig on a spit, well over the flame so that it
shrinks evenly and doesn't char or burn.

jim rozen

In article , nospam says...

Any time I want to hang a picture on a wall I have to: Paint the picture,
make the nail, fix the hammer and build the wall.

I guess that makes you a full-service operation!

:^)

Jim

please reply to:
Leo Lichtman

"DeepDiver" wrote: That's why you should always keep a spare BIC Lighter
around. (CLIP)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
According to the Law of Conservation of Bustedness, there is another way to
use the Bic lighter. Smack it with a hammer. Your heat gun ought to fix
itself. But it DON'T. Why not?

carl mciver

"jim rozen" wrote in message
| In article , nospam says...
|
| Any time I want to hang a picture on a wall I have to: Paint the picture,
| make the nail, fix the hammer and build the wall.
|
| I guess that makes you a full-service operation!

You must not believe in outsourcing, unless you bought the hammer,
paint, and painting tools!

T.Alan Kraus

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"DeepDiver" wrote: That's why you should always keep a spare BIC Lighter
around. (CLIP)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
According to the Law of Conservation of Bustedness, there is another way to
use the Bic lighter. Smack it with a hammer. Your heat gun ought to fix
itself. But it DON'T. Why not?

One cannot influence the Law of C of B . It derives from aleatory and
universal powers. If Murphy's selective gravity law had let the hammer
fall on the Bic lighter on its own accord, then maybe just maybe the
heat gun might be fixed, but most likely it would be some arrow in Papua
that would have been straightened overnight by mysterious forces.

cheers
T.Alan
jk

"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

"DeepDiver" wrote: That's why you should always keep a spare BIC Lighter
around. (CLIP)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
According to the Law of Conservation of Bustedness, there is another way to
use the Bic lighter. Smack it with a hammer. Your heat gun ought to fix
itself. But it DON'T. Why not?

Because you cant direct the directions that the un-bustedness takes.
YOu whack the lighter, and perhaps some ones in mongolia has their
busted tooth fixed.
jk
Leo Lichtman

"jk" wrote: (clip) YOu whack the lighter, and perhaps some ones in mongolia
has their busted tooth fixed.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Okay, I see. So, breaking things you don't need is GOOD. Next time the Red
Cross or Cancer Society calls, I'll just tell them, "I broke at the office."

Peter Grey

"jim rozen" wrote in message

So now the drill and the heat gun work. So something else
is fixing to go bust anytime now...

Yep. It did. At my house. So it's YOUR fault my cordless drill stopped
working!?

Peter

Don Foreman

On Mon, 30 May 2005 17:49:07 GMT, "Peter Grey"
wrote:

"jim rozen" wrote in message

So now the drill and the heat gun work. So something else
is fixing to go bust anytime now...

Yep. It did. At my house. So it's YOUR fault my cordless drill stopped
working!?

Yeah, and my ethernet router?
JohnM

wrote:

"jim rozen" wrote in message

So now the drill and the heat gun work. So something else
is fixing to go bust anytime now...

Yep. It did. At my house. So it's YOUR fault my cordless drill stopped
working!?

Yeah, and my ethernet router?

Yeah, it got me too.. I just limped the old lady's car home with a flat
tire. Hope you knock off that fixing stuff soon..

Seems to be some multiple effect, branching out like the particle tracks
from the particle accelerator.. hits something and that breaks, then you
repair it and the bustedness particles branch out and hit other stuff.
I'll get somebody back for it, soon as I put a new tire on..

John
Tom Miller

.. Hope you knock off that fixing stuff soon..

Seems to be some multiple effect, branching out like the particle tracks
from the particle accelerator.. hits something and that breaks, then you
repair it and the bustedness particles branch out and hit other stuff.

You know, I think there's a P.Hd dissertation there somewhere. Now if you
could get a Government research grant and a few spare
years..........................?

John Manders

There's a song in UK called "On the Monday morning, the gas man came to
call".

A guy moves into a new house on the Friday but someone had painted over the
gas tap so it couldn't turn on.
So, on the monday morning, the gas man came to call.
He had to replace the gas tap so the kitchen units had to be cut around.
So, on the tuesday morning, the carpenter came to call.
He replaced the kitchen bases but couldn't connect the sink.
So, on the Wednesday morning, the plumber came to call.
He fixed the water to the sink but drove a screw into the mains cable.
So, on the Thursday morning, the electrician came to call.
He chased out the wall and repaired cable. That left the decorations in a
mess.
So, on the Friday morning, the painter came to call.
He painted the walls. He painted the ceiling. He even painted the doors.
When he left the kitchen looked great - but he'd painted over the gas tap so
it couldn't turn on.
The Gas company don't work weekends.
So, on the Monday morning, the gas man came to call.

John

jim rozen

In article , John Manders says...

There's a song in UK called "On the Monday morning, the gas man came to
call".

That's my house. The worst thing in the world is a puddle on
the floor. I see that and expect the worst. Is it dripping
from the ceiling above, or is it welling up from the floor
underneath? What the *hell* is going on now?

Then my wife tells me, "oh, I dropped some ice cubes there a
while ago."

Old Chinese proverb, "Fear has many eyes and can see things
underground." They were talking to homeowners.

Jim

please reply to:

B.B.

In article
,
"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

"DeepDiver" wrote: That's why you should always keep a spare BIC Lighter
around. (CLIP)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
According to the Law of Conservation of Bustedness, there is another way to
use the Bic lighter. Smack it with a hammer. Your heat gun ought to fix
itself. But it DON'T. Why not?

It probably fixed something somewhere else. Kinda like in the 80's
all those rock bands were smashing guitars left and right--computer
industry got going. Obviously we now need to start smashing computers
for the sake of future generations.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
Jeff Wisnia

jim rozen wrote:
There's only so much stuff that can be working correctly
in the universe at one time.

Speaking of bustedness, how many of us have gotten fed up with some POS
product which keeps breaking faster than you can fix it. And you get so
frustrated over wasting your time without obtaining the satisfation of a
"job well done" that....

You just pick up the biggest hammer around and smash the offending item
to bits, then chuck it in the trash barrel to eliminate the possibility
that you'll be tempted to take another frustrating go at fixing it???

Especially when you know that YOU probably could have designed and made
something better in not much more time than you just wasted trying to
fix up the dumb thing anyway.

***************************

I think I've done that about four times in my life and the most recent
one happened this Memorial Day weekend when teen aged son complained
that he couldn't get his '95 Honda Civic to pass state inspection
because the headlights were way out of alignment and the guy at the
inspection station said he couldn't adjust them.

Of course I said, "That's BS son, I'LL fix 'em for you..."

Turns out the girl friend he recently bought the car from had let
someone replace the stock headlights and front parking/turn signals with
some ****e aftermarket "Angel Light Projector" units which might have
been this model:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&tc=photo&item=7977207434&ca tegory=33710

I took a look and realized that while the units fit into the car's front
end just fine there was no way to reach all of the beam alignment screws
because some were located where parts of the car's front end metal
blocked them completely.

We took the light units out of the car and I started testing the
alignment screws (separate sets of three for each low and high beam
assembly). Some seemed to do their thing while turning others didn't
appear to make anything move.

The clear fronts and black plastic backs of the units were glued or heat
sealed together, so there was no easy way to get inside them to reach
the moving parts.

Peering inside down through the light bulb access hole in the back of
the units I saw that one of the reflector adjustment screws had popped
it's ball end out of a plastic socket on the reflector assembly,
probably because some klutz had backed the screw so far out it pulled free.

I set up a 1-1/4" hole saw in the drill press and carefully cut an
access hole through the housing right over that ball and socket joint.
Snapping the joint together was easy then, and I twisted a girdle of
binding wire tightly around the outside of the segmented plastic socket
to help keep a disconnect from happening again.

Checking the second light assembly found a similar disconnected joint,
and I repeated the process on it.

I took the fiberglass resin and hardener out from where they sleep in
the kitchen freezer, warmed them to room temperature and put three
layers of glass cloth over the holes I'd made.

Elapsed time spent so far maybe 2-3/4 hours...

Feeling smug as a bug in a rug we set out to align the headlights by
holding them where they'd mount in the car, seeing which way the beams
needed to move, moving them away from the car, turning the adjusters and
testing them while holding them in place again.

We were "sort of" making progress about a half hour later when I
encountered yet another non-functioning adjustment screw. Peering inside
through the light bulb access hole I saw that this adjuster used a
different style of connection than the two I'd already fixed. It had a
broken plastic piece that would have been as difficult to fix as a
dentist trying to crown a tooth by accessing it solely through the
patient's rectum.

That's when I picked up a four pound hand sledge hammer and ended the
whole foolish exercise.

************************

Postscript:

Son's girl friend still had all the car's original light assemblies in
her basement. She brought them over and we put them in his car. Piece of
cake, requiring only one trip to the parts store to replace a bad bulb.

Lined up the headlight beams in two minutes.

************************

Hopefully young son understands, but the look on his face makes me sort
of doubt it......You do what you have to do, I suppose.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Tom Gardner

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , nospam says...

Any time I want to hang a picture on a wall I have to: Paint the picture,
make the nail, fix the hammer and build the wall.

I guess that makes you a full-service operation!

:^)

Jim

please reply to:

Lousy picture, bent nail, duct-taped hammer, crooked wall...I can do
everything, but not well.

Tom Gardner

"Peter Grey" wrote in message
ink.net...

"jim rozen" wrote in message

So now the drill and the heat gun work. So something else
is fixing to go bust anytime now...

Yep. It did. At my house. So it's YOUR fault my cordless drill stopped
working!?

Peter

Pete's drill wasn't ALWAYS a cordless...could be why it stoped working, the
cord broke off.

Tom Gardner

wrote:

"jim rozen" wrote in message

So now the drill and the heat gun work. So something else
is fixing to go bust anytime now...

Yep. It did. At my house. So it's YOUR fault my cordless drill stopped
working!?

Yeah, and my ethernet router?

What size bits does your router take?

Don Bruder

wrote:

"jim rozen" wrote in message

So now the drill and the heat gun work. So something else
is fixing to go bust anytime now...

Yep. It did. At my house. So it's YOUR fault my cordless drill stopped
working!?

Yeah, and my ethernet router?

What size bits does your router take?

Probably the standard "8-to-a-byte" size. Of course there are weird off
brands that go with the proprietary 16-to-a-word format, but those are
just needlessly confusing to the end-user.

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html for full details.
JohnM

Tom Gardner wrote:
"Peter Grey" wrote in message
ink.net...

"jim rozen" wrote in message

So now the drill and the heat gun work. So something else
is fixing to go bust anytime now...

Yep. It did. At my house. So it's YOUR fault my cordless drill stopped
working!?

Peter

Pete's drill wasn't ALWAYS a cordless...could be why it stoped working, the
cord broke off.

I picked up a skilsaw at the junkyard once.. the cord was cut just long
enough to bend under the saw and reach the front of the blade:-D

John
Don Foreman

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 00:20:36 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"jim rozen" wrote in message

So now the drill and the heat gun work. So something else
is fixing to go bust anytime now...

Yep. It did. At my house. So it's YOUR fault my cordless drill stopped
working!?

Yeah, and my ethernet router?

What size bits does your router take?

They must be pretty small because it handles 100 million of them per
second.

Don Foreman

On Tue, 31 May 2005 13:58:55 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

(snip)

That's when I picked up a four pound hand sledge hammer and ended the
whole foolish exercise.

************************

Postscript:

Son's girl friend still had all the car's original light assemblies in
her basement. She brought them over and we put them in his car. Piece of
cake, requiring only one trip to the parts store to replace a bad bulb.

Lined up the headlight beams in two minutes.

************************

Hopefully young son understands, but the look on his face makes me sort
of doubt it......You do what you have to do, I suppose.

I doubt it too because it wasn't yours to break. Imagine your
reaction if the guy who said "I can fix your heat pump" smashed it
with a sledge hammer when he found that he couldn't fix it.

Tim Williams

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
news
Yeah, and my ethernet router?

What size bits does your router take?

Probably 1/4" bits, if it came from 1963.

Tim

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."

Daniel A. Mitchell

Tom Gardner wrote:
"Peter Grey" wrote in message
ink.net...

"jim rozen" wrote in message

So now the drill and the heat gun work. So something else
is fixing to go bust anytime now...

Yep. It did. At my house. So it's YOUR fault my cordless drill stopped
working!?

Peter

Pete's drill wasn't ALWAYS a cordless...could be why it stoped working, the
cord broke off.

Our university engineering students did this same conversion to our
Rockwell table saw. They cut their own cord off, with the saw. A TABLE
saw. That's not easy! An electric HAND saw, sure, that's easy; but a
TABLE saw?

They never cease to amaze me.

Dan Mitchell
============
Jim Stewart

jim rozen wrote:

There was an impressive *Pop* from the innards of the heat gun,
and then smoke began to gently waft from the air intake. Turns
out the handle (which had been spinning a bit loose for a while,
this is an elderly Veeco that I've had for years) had finally
spun enough to short the neutral wire against the hot switch
lead.

Ha ha, brings back pain.

The last time I got my heat gun down and
turned it on, I was greeted by dense smoke
and an unpleasant smell. Seems wasps had
built a nest inside the barrel.

jim rozen

In article , Jim Stewart says...

The last time I got my heat gun down and
turned it on, I was greeted by dense smoke
and an unpleasant smell. Seems wasps had
built a nest inside the barrel.

There are some wasps that like to build nests inside
small holes.

I found one of those recently.

I keep a small portable air tank in the garage for
inflating tires, and periodically bring it inside
to recharge it from the house line. The hose and
chuck for it are mounted on a quick-disconnect for
convenience.

Last time I went to use it, I hooked up the the hose,
opened the tank valve, and tried to inflate the tire.
Chuck on the hose acted quite strange - leaky, but
no air was getting to the tire.

Yep, some damn wasp had crawled into the open end
of the QC fitting and begun building a nest.

She got a pretty good suprise though. I had to
dismantle the air chuck to get the debris out
of there so I could use it again.

Jim

please reply to:
Dave Hinz

On 1 Jun 2005 11:56:54 -0700, jim rozen wrote:

Yep, some damn wasp had crawled into the open end
of the QC fitting and begun building a nest.

She got a pretty good suprise though. I had to
dismantle the air chuck to get the debris out
of there so I could use it again.

We had a frog get sucked into a firetruck's suction line, through
the pump, and he lodged in the strainer in the nozzle. That wasn't a
lot of fun, from the frog's perspective, I wouldn't imagine.

jim rozen

In article , Dave Hinz says...

We had a frog get sucked into a firetruck's suction line, through
the pump, and he lodged in the strainer in the nozzle. That wasn't a
lot of fun, from the frog's perspective, I wouldn't imagine.

I suspect the wasp had a similar high-speed run, with
similar results at the end.

Jim

please reply to:

Gerald Miller

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 09:40:39 -0400, "Daniel A. Mitchell"
wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:
"Peter Grey" wrote in message
ink.net...

"jim rozen" wrote in message

So now the drill and the heat gun work. So something else
is fixing to go bust anytime now...

Yep. It did. At my house. So it's YOUR fault my cordless drill stopped
working!?

Peter

Pete's drill wasn't ALWAYS a cordless...could be why it stoped working, the
cord broke off.

Our university engineering students did this same conversion to our
Rockwell table saw. They cut their own cord off, with the saw. A TABLE
saw. That's not easy! An electric HAND saw, sure, that's easy; but a
TABLE saw?

They never cease to amaze me.

Three key words - UNIVERSITY ENGINEERING STUDENTS -
explains it completely, they probably survived, unfortunately.
Dan Mitchell
============

Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Gerald Miller

On 1 Jun 2005 11:56:54 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Jim Stewart says...

[...]

Not as bad as the surprise of a nest under the seat of the outhouse!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Leo Lichtman

"Gerald Miller" Not as bad as the surprise of a nest under the seat of the
outhouse!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I had that same experience fifty years ago, and I remember it like it was
yesterday.

Gunner

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 04:47:20 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"Gerald Miller" Not as bad as the surprise of a nest under the seat of the
outhouse!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I had that same experience fifty years ago, and I remember it like it was
yesterday.

Over the weekend, I rebuilt the powerfeed on my Clausing 8540
horizontal miller, a box fan (thermal fuze), tigged an old drill press
vise back together..and my wife just called saying her car is making a
tick tick tick noise....

Sigh

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown
Gerald Miller

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 22:42:20 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

Over the weekend, I rebuilt the powerfeed on my Clausing 8540
horizontal miller, a box fan (thermal fuze), tigged an old drill press
vise back together..and my wife just called saying her car is making a
tick tick tick noise....

Tick tick tick, I don't worry about; it's when SWMBO describes it as
g-blump g-blump g-blump that I get concerned that I might get my hands
dirty installing the "donut"
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Ken Davey

wrote:

"Gerald Miller" Not as bad as the surprise of a nest under the seat
of the outhouse!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I had that same experience fifty years ago, and I remember it like
it was yesterday.

Over the weekend, I rebuilt the powerfeed on my Clausing 8540
horizontal miller, a box fan (thermal fuze), tigged an old drill press
vise back together..and my wife just called saying her car is making a
tick tick tick noise....

Sigh

Gunner

Just picked up my new cistern liner (Thompson Plastics, Souris, Manitoba -
highly recommended) and this means that I have to drain the remaining water
I have in order to install it. This in the beginning of the driest
(predicted) summer on record!

Ok - fixed the cistern. Water have I none.
So is this system fixed or still busted?

Ken (perplexed)

Bruce L. Bergman

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 20:33:01 -0700, "Ken Davey"
wrote:

Just picked up my new cistern liner (Thompson Plastics, Souris, Manitoba -
highly recommended) and this means that I have to drain the remaining water
I have in order to install it. This in the beginning of the driest
(predicted) summer on record!

Ok - fixed the cistern. Water have I none.
So is this system fixed or still busted?

I think it all ended up down here a few months ago - we got our
fill, and every drop that Seattle & Portland was supposed to get, too.
Missed "Wettest Winter in Recorded History" by less than an inch.

Last week, Laguna Beach got the 'delayed reaction' effects of a few
acre-feet soaking down to bedrock.

And get out your tractors and shovels and clear a defendable space
folks, the brushfire season might be a bit late arriving but is
probably going to be a real doozy...

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
woodworker88

I just look at it as a way to get new tools!
Some recent examples:

Garbage disposal leaks internally-reciprocating saw to cut off rusted
hanging bolts connecting to sink flange.

Need to make 3" hole in plywood subfloor to inspect floor cavity-3"
hole saw-1/2"shank arbor-1/2" corded drill in addition to 3/8" corded
and cordless I already have.

2600 lb excello mill (bridgeport clone) needs moving from shipping
crate to tool room inside school shop. No new tools, but 3 days and 5
2 1/2 ton rolling shop jacks +pipes+boards/levers etc. Also need to
remove table and leadscrew to get machine thru 36" doorway. We think
table weighs ~200 lbs, actually 500+, table falls, nearly smashes hand,
nearly forces us to buy new socket set for angry autoshop teacher (we
were lucky it only smashed the sheet metal case). Then we had to
slide, "walk" table onto hand cart to wheel to autoshop to use 2 ton
chain hoist to lift onto cart, then wheel back to tool room and slide
onto ways. Reinstall leadscrew, then 2 months of fixing: noone was
paying close attention to leadscrew assembly when removed from
machine- "Where does this part go?" also 3 weeks to replace busted
one-shot hose. also gibs all screwed up. Finally, machine all ready
to go, only need three phase power installed. Power is in electrical
panel less than 4 feet away, but school shop, typical beurocratic
nightmare, etc.
Hmm. Did that toilet sound right? If it didn't, I'm not going to be
happy. In the last 2 months, 6-8 toilet repairs. There are 3 toilets
in my house. Ugh!

Ron DeBlock

The old heat pump outside unit developed a huge leak a couple of weeks
back. Decided to replace the thing with a AC only unit and fossil-fuel
heat (air/air heat pumps are not the best choice in for my area). Got
the new AC online yesterday morning, just in time for the hottest/muggiest
day of the year (so far).

Put a load of laundry in the dryer last night, turned it on and
went to bed. This morning - wet laundry. The drum tumbles, but the
heating elements don't turn on. :-(

--
Ron DeBlock N2JSO
If God had meant for Man to see the sunrise,

Gerald Miller

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 00:31:06 GMT, Ron DeBlock
wrote:

The old heat pump outside unit developed a huge leak a couple of weeks
back. Decided to replace the thing with a AC only unit and fossil-fuel
heat (air/air heat pumps are not the best choice in for my area). Got
the new AC online yesterday morning, just in time for the hottest/muggiest
day of the year (so far).

Put a load of laundry in the dryer last night, turned it on and
went to bed. This morning - wet laundry. The drum tumbles, but the
heating elements don't turn on. :-(

Fuse in the non motor line?
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada