DeepDiver

"DeepDiver" wrote in message
snip-----

Now, this whole transaction has soured me to the point where I wish
I never bid on his auctions. Not only has he lost two additional
sales now, but he's lost my future business as well (and probably
the business of my metalworking friends).

Considering the very negative experience Susan had with a less than
honest seller on ebay, you have my total sympathy. Do us all a favor
and name the person with which you've done business so those of us
that wish to avoid doing business with him, will be able to do so.

Thanks for the support Harold. The seller's Ebay ID is "gentoolco"; I
included a link to his current auctions in my original post, but here it is
again:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZgentoolco

That's assuming we are still buying off ebay. Frankly, we rarely
do anymore, and it's the honest seller that's taking the loss.
Ebay is not putting enough effort into discouraging the crooks.

I agree with your last statement. While I have had many successful
transactions on Ebay, there have been a few where I've been screwed with no
recourse.

In this particular case, I wouldn't call the guy a "crook", just a bad
businessman who has little regard for his customers. As I had stated in
another post in this thread, I was planning on buying more auctions from
this seller. In fact, I told him so when I originally wrote him and asked if
he would ship via the less-costly Priority instead of UPS. I said I'd rather
give him my business and money than spend it on shipping. I guess he'd
rather make money for UPS than for himself.

Regards,
Michael

DeepDiver

"Dave" wrote in message
oups.com...

I agree with your gripe to a certain extent, but many sellers
avoid using USPS. That is simply a fact. Use e-mail next time
to inquire before purchasing.

Except this particular seller had other auctions with USPS Priority Mail
listed as the shipping method. In fact, he just listed another new auction
today with Priority Mail as the listed shipping method.

His stated reasons for denying my request for shipment by Priority Mail was
that he only uses UPS and the Post Office is "very inconvenient". Obviously,
those two statements are lies.

- Michael

Dave Hinz

On Sat, 14 May 2005 00:50:27 GMT, DeepDiver wrote:

Since he did not stipulate in his auction that he would only ship by UPS,
it's my opinion that he's being unfair to demand that I accept the costs of
his choice of UPS shipment, especially when I've made the less-expensive
alternative so simple. I know this is a fairly small thing, but it just irks
me to no end when people are obstinate for no reason (and expect me to pay
the costs of their obstinacy).

So what do you think: am I being unreasonable or is he?

Seems to me "buyer pays actual shipping costs" is pretty clear.
Also seems to me that if you had a preferred shipping method, that would
have been a good thing to negotiate before the sale.

Jeff Wisnia

Grant Erwin wrote:

There are many many items that routinely sell on ebay for 99¢ with $19.95
shipping fees. Yes, you can complain, and theoretically ebay will follow
up on that because after all sellers do it to beat ebay out of their fees,

So THAT'S why they do it. I've bought several items recently priced that
way and was satisfied that the total price I paid, including shipping,
was fair enough.

If the shipping charges aren't clearly defined in an auction listing I
ALWAYS ask the seller what they will be, before bidding.

It would be interesting to learn what the Mike's seller actually PAID to
UPS. I wonder how close to $17.70 it really was. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Finnbear

I sell a few things on eBay and I rarely use the Post Office. I can
ship packages UPS or FedEx from my work without leaving so they get my
vote simply out of convenience. To go to the Post Office I would have
to make leave work and drive about 4 miles and the boss frowns on that.
I normally arrive at work before they open and leave after they close.
The only time I actually get to the Post Office is on the rare Saturday
that I am not working and then it would be the one about a mile and a
half from my home. I actually did use a Priority Mail Flat Rate box
this past Saturday to ship some parts that payment arrived for in
Friday's mail. I was shipping to CA from OH so they should arrive today
which is faster than UPS Ground and a few bucks less ($7.70+$.45
Del.Conf). Normally I would have sent this on Monday from work and it
would have arrived in CA a week later but I was off Saturday to go to a
wedding and I stopped at the PO on the way to the barber shop. If an
eBay buyer insisted on my shipping USPS then they would have to be able
to wait until I actually had time to go to the Post office which might
be a while. I don't think this seller was being unreasonable if he
specified he would be shipping UPS in the eBay listing. As a buyer you
have no way of knowing what the seller's circumstances are and should
know that when you place your bid you are accepting the conditions laid
out in the eBay listing. If you wish for the seller to deviate from the
listing terms then you should arrange that BEFORE you place a bid.
Mark

SteveB wrote:
I am a Power Seller on Ebay. We print our own labels. The postman

picks up
the packages at the house. We only have to go to the postoffice if

it is an
international shipment, and we have to fill out customs forms. We

can even
buy insurance on our computer.

The story about not wanting to go to the post office won't fly.

STeve

Finnbear

What was the weight and what were the ship from and ship to Zip Codes?
You can easily check the actual shipping charges at www.ups.com .

SteveB

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote

Why is cashing at the Post Office better?

Less chance of having the amount subtracted from your bank account if
it turns out to be fake or whatever. I suppose the lack of a paper
trail might also please those who are not declaring their income.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Now, who would do such a thing? ;-) Wouldn't you want to pay taxes on
income you got from selling something you bought with after tax dollars that
you already paid the taxes on?

Steve

PS: Don't forget the sales tax.

DeepDiver

"Finnbear" wrote in message
oups.com...

I don't think this seller was being unreasonable if he specified
he would be shipping UPS in the eBay listing. As a buyer you
have no way of knowing what the seller's circumstances are and
should know that when you place your bid you are accepting the
conditions laid out in the eBay listing. If you wish for the
seller to deviate from the listing terms then you should arrange
that BEFORE you place a bid.

Mark, the seller never specified the method of shipping in the auctions I
bid on. He did specify US Priority Mail as the shipping method for some of
his other auctions, so it's reasonable to assume he is willing to -- and
quite capable of -- shipping by Priority mail.

Btw, it is now possible to ship by USPS without making a trip to the Post
Office. Free Priority Mail boxes and other supplies can be ordered from the
USPS web site (and delivered to your doorstep for free within a day or two).
And you can schedule a free parcel pick-up by your mail carrier (also from
their web site). You can even pay for postage online. I had pointed all this
out to the seller, and I even told him I would send him pre-paid postage to
stick on the parcel so he wouldn't have to set up an online account.

The USPS has become quite competitive with other shipping services.

- Michael

Keith Marshall

The USPS has become quite competitive with other shipping services.

Not only that but they're also selling their services to at least one of the
other services. I ordered some shirts a while back and they were to be
shipped via UPS because that was the only option they offered. They emailed
a UPS tracking number to me and it continuously showed that they had been
notified electronically that the package was being sent. After about a week
there was still no change in the status. One afternoon my wife noticed the
mail carrier walking back up the driveway to his truck. She looked on the
front porch and there was my package with a UPS shipping label on it but it
was delivered by the US Post Office!

I emailed the company I bought the shirts from and they said that's the way
UPS is doing it now on some shipments. The tracking was useless. I wonder
about the insurance.... :-/

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

"DeepDiver" wrote in message
"Finnbear" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 18 May 2005 01:34:22 GMT, the inscrutable "Keith Marshall"
spake:

[...]

I ship via USPS Priority most often and find that their "tracking"
page is similarly useless. It tells you that the package was delivered
the day after it gets there, and nothing shows up except they list the
electronic notification. There is no hard data during transit or clear
proof that the package physically shipped. Luckily, I've never lost a
PM package and close deliveries are overnight.

Do the voices in my head bother you?
http://diversify.com Full-Service Web Development
Keith Marshall

I ship via USPS Priority most often and find that their "tracking"
page is similarly useless. It tells you that the package was delivered
the day after it gets there, and nothing shows up except they list the
electronic notification. There is no hard data during transit or clear
proof that the package physically shipped. Luckily, I've never lost a
PM package and close deliveries are overnight.

I use USPS Priority most of the time too and I agree that it's mostly
useless except that when all is over with it will normally show at least
that the package was delivered. That's a big plus when a buyer tries to
tell you they never received it. I've only had it happen once or twice but
it does come in handy. :-)

The UPS package that was delivered via USPS never showed as having been
received, shipped or otherwise.

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
[...]

GFCI still tripping fredinstl Home Repair 6 April 9th 05 06:56 PM
EBay hack Don Foreman Metalworking 59 March 23rd 05 02:32 AM
WARNING ! New ebay email scam ! Or should I say newest version of an old one Puff Griffis Woodturning 0 February 8th 04 02:22 AM
WARNING - PHONEY EBAY E-MAIL T. Woodworking 19 January 3rd 04 06:35 PM
eBay Scam Marv Soloff Metalworking 5 December 31st 03 01:16 PM