Dick

Default Pre 1.6 gpf Toilets - Legal Anywhere?

We have two, beautiful Kohler toilets that we are changing out with
Toto's. These are 3.5 gpf toilets. I know they can be used as long
as they were installed prior to the 1.6 reg, but can they be used at
all by someone else? I was thinking of something like a mountain
cabin. These were very expensive toilets, and I hate to just put them
in the trash.

Exactly whom is going to stop you from using them?

I imagine you could still eBay them if you really wanted to.

Now who'd buy used toilets? I certainly won't.

m Ransley

Just what I always wanted a used toilet

I am pretty sure the law is that you can no longer manufacture the
toilets, I do not believe there is a prohibition on selling or
installing one in your own home.

I live in Detroit, and we go to the Home Depot in Canada to get a real
toilet, drive it back across the border.

Yes, I am a toilet smuggler, but only for personal use.

Tom

"Dick" LeadWinger wrote in message
We have two, beautiful Kohler toilets that we are changing out with
Toto's. These are 3.5 gpf toilets. I know they can be used as long
as they were installed prior to the 1.6 reg, but can they be used at
all by someone else? I was thinking of something like a mountain
cabin. These were very expensive toilets, and I hate to just put them
in the trash.

Make fantastic planters in the front yard in certain parts of the country.
Wanted to use one in our front yard until the lot next door was sold
(hopefully to me and at my price) but my wife wouldn't let me. Had access
to a beautiful old Avocado Green one I removed from my mother in laws old
mobile home, too. Oh, well. Seriously, we put Toto in our new bathroom
remodel and it works better than any old high gallon model we ever had.

Tom.

Brian

Question is why why why?????

Some newer 1.6 gpf toilets work better than old 3.5 gpf.

Just buy a better model.

Who in the right mind would buy used toilet?

bumtracks

Wonder if some people call taxi's from their hospital room to take them home
so they avoid sitting on hospital toilet cooties... god forbid a nurse
brings them a portable toilet seat with a bucket under it. Ewwww, get that
hose back in my nose now!.

heck I'd probably buy a used 1.6g toilet
have you seen some of the prices!
I'm sure a good sanitizing would fix em.

oups.com...

Dick wrote:
We have two, beautiful Kohler toilets that we are changing out with
Toto's. These are 3.5 gpf toilets. I know they can be used as long
as they were installed prior to the 1.6 reg, but can they be used at
all by someone else? I was thinking of something like a mountain
cabin. These were very expensive toilets, and I hate to just put

them
in the trash.

A mountain cabin with limited water supply and limited septic capacity
does not seem like a good match for a high-gallon toilet. Been there
done that.

Plenty of people might be interested nonetheless. 1.6 gpf terlets still
have a (largely undeserved) stigma and some folks refuse to buy them.

%mod%

Bob S.

Plenty of people might be interested nonetheless. 1.6 gpf terlets

still
have a (largely undeserved) stigma and some folks refuse to buy them.

Is there a 1.6gpf model that will completely flush itself without you
standing there and holding the handle down? Damn I hate that!!!

Bob

Tom

"Bob S." wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:

Is there a 1.6gpf model that will completely flush itself without you
standing there and holding the handle down? Damn I hate that!!!

Bob

Yes, the Toto model that I have. It flushes like there is vacuum pulling
the water down. I've never more than momentarily pressed the handle down.
Tom

D. Gerasimatos

These people asking why anyone would buy a used toilet are very funny! I
wonder if, when they buy an existing house, they immediately swap out the
existing toilets for new ones! Haha! Probably best to tear out all the tile
and carpeting, too.

Dimitri

Arthur Shapiro

In article .com, "Bob S." wrote:

Is there a 1.6gpf model that will completely flush itself without you
standing there and holding the handle down? Damn I hate that!!!

Another happy vote for the Toto. I happen to own the Ultramax, although they
have the usual intimidating profusion of models. Anyway, the thing could
probably take down a basketball!

Art
Joe S

Arthur Shapiro wrote:
In article .com,

"Bob S." wrote:

Is there a 1.6gpf model that will completely flush itself without

you
standing there and holding the handle down? Damn I hate that!!!

Another happy vote for the Toto. I happen to own the Ultramax,

although they
have the usual intimidating profusion of models. Anyway, the thing

could
probably take down a basketball!

Art

I believe I saw a model at Lowe's that advertises that it can clear 100
golf balls in one flush. I'd like to see that.

Joe

Percival P. Cassidy

Our American Standard Champions work fine.

Perce

On 03/02/05 03:20 pm Bob S. tossed the following ingredients into the
ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Is there a 1.6gpf model that will completely flush itself without you
standing there and holding the handle down? Damn I hate that!!!

Nick Hull

In article .com,
"Brian" wrote:

Question is why why why?????

Some newer 1.6 gpf toilets work better than old 3.5 gpf.

Just buy a better model.

Who in the right mind would buy used toilet?

Someone on ebay?

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Stormin Mormon

Customs: "What kinda crapper you smuggling in?"

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am pretty sure the law is that you can no longer manufacture the
toilets, I do not believe there is a prohibition on selling or
installing one in your own home.

I live in Detroit, and we go to the Home Depot in Canada to get a real
toilet, drive it back across the border.

Yes, I am a toilet smuggler, but only for personal use.

Stormin Mormon

I think it's deserved if your waste line has a long horizontal run. I call
them "flush twice" toilets.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
oups.com...

Dick wrote:
We have two, beautiful Kohler toilets that we are changing out with
Toto's. These are 3.5 gpf toilets. I know they can be used as long
as they were installed prior to the 1.6 reg, but can they be used at
all by someone else? I was thinking of something like a mountain
cabin. These were very expensive toilets, and I hate to just put

them
in the trash.

A mountain cabin with limited water supply and limited septic capacity
does not seem like a good match for a high-gallon toilet. Been there
done that.

Plenty of people might be interested nonetheless. 1.6 gpf terlets still
have a (largely undeserved) stigma and some folks refuse to buy them.

%mod%

Stormin Mormon

One repair guy I talked with says that low flow doesn't move the waste along
the drain -- so you end up with drain clogs.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Brian" wrote in message
oups.com...
Question is why why why?????

Some newer 1.6 gpf toilets work better than old 3.5 gpf.

Just buy a better model.

Who in the right mind would buy used toilet?

zxcvbob

Bob S. wrote:
wrote:

Plenty of people might be interested nonetheless. 1.6 gpf terlets

still

have a (largely undeserved) stigma and some folks refuse to buy them.

Is there a 1.6gpf model that will completely flush itself without you
standing there and holding the handle down? Damn I hate that!!!

Bob

The one I bought from Home Depot (it was their house brand; glacier
something?) works *much* better than my old toilet. It flushes in one
flush and I don't have to hold the handle down. The only problem with
it is the water level in the bowl is lower, so you have to swish the
toilet with a brush more often than the old one, if you know what I mean.

Best regards,
Bob (no relation)
Mike Dobony

"Dick" LeadWinger wrote in message
We have two, beautiful Kohler toilets that we are changing out with
Toto's. These are 3.5 gpf toilets. I know they can be used as long
as they were installed prior to the 1.6 reg, but can they be used at
all by someone else? I was thinking of something like a mountain
cabin. These were very expensive toilets, and I hate to just put them
in the trash.

You can legally go to Canada, buy a full 3.5gpf toilet and bring it back to
the US. You can also legally give them to someone else to use. The trash
1.6 gpf was a nightmare in my old house. Just didn't have enough volume to
get the pipes cleared and had to clean the drains at least once a year. I
wished I could have found a good 3.5 gpf toilet to install there. We were
forced to install the 1.6gpf toilets in the new house and they are barely
adequate. Stupid law that only affects what is sold as new in the US.

Alan

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 21:55:51 -0800, Eric wrote:

"saved a lot of money in water bills"????
Cripes how much do you flush the thing?
Get serious!
Eric

For most people, flushing toilets uses more water than any other
household use. That was the reason for mandating low flow toilets. I
think replacing my toilet in the old house cut my total water usage by
a quarter. Here I am on flat rate water, so they won't pay for
themselves, but I want something that flushes properly and stays
cleaner.
Stormin Mormon

"flush once for liquids, flush twice for solids"

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message

[...]

Dick

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 04:30:38 -0600, "Mike Dobony"
wrote:

"Dick" LeadWinger wrote in message
.. .
[...]

All I can say is you haven't tried the latest generation of 1.6
toilets, like the Toto. The first time I flushed one I couldn't
believe how it sucked the bowl down. No swirling around with these
babies. They get the job done.
Alan

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 01:52:44 GMT, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I think it's deserved if your waste line has a long horizontal run. I call
them "flush twice" toilets.

In my experience, the opposite is true. The 1.6 gpf toilets require
one flush while the old ones need two or three. Maybe the first low
flow toilets were not well designed, but in the last few years they
far outperform the water wasters.
William W. Plummer

Alan wrote:

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 21:55:51 -0800, Eric wrote:

"saved a lot of money in water bills"????
Cripes how much do you flush the thing?
Get serious!
Eric

For most people, flushing toilets uses more water than any other
household use. That was the reason for mandating low flow toilets. I
think replacing my toilet in the old house cut my total water usage by
a quarter. Here I am on flat rate water, so they won't pay for
themselves, but I want something that flushes properly and stays
cleaner.

That is hard to believe. How much does a washing machine load use?
How many loads does a family of four use in a week? How many length
showers does the household take? And what about standing by the sink
with the water running?

But the bigger issue is why people think household use somehow destroys
water. It doesn't. In fact putting water out to a septic field is
_returning it to the natural environment_. Evaporation, cloud
formation, precipitation, collection and distribution can happen again.
It is perfect recycling.

In fact there is _no shortage of water on Earth_. Fossil fuel
combustion is creating more water as a by-product all the time. You
might have an issue with where the water is, but the solution is more
pipelines and tankers (or towing icebergs!), but stopping use is the way
you create deserts.

The trouble is, anyone with "a good idea" can call himself an
"environmentalist." There are no standards, no professional groups, no
licenses, no degrees.

You must live on the east coast as I do. These so called water saving
gadgets are a necessity for the west coast people. They are forced
down our throat by the federal government. It takes the industry a few
years to get the water saving toilet to work right. I am not the only
one who has to ditch at least one water saving toilet when it is
mandated by the fed but the toilet manufacturer did not went back to
the drawing board to re-engineer it. But I think the water saving
toilet is a good idea, after being re-engineered of course.

Historically the east coast has never had shortage of water. The
occassional drought does not count. LA for example, is practically
built in a desert.

Brian O

wrote:

[...]

If you're having to clean out the drains once a year, then the drain is the
problem, not the toilet. These toilets have been standard for some time now,
and I've yet to live in a house where they are not adequate.

Duane Bozarth

" wrote:
.... LA for example, is practically built in a desert.

And who's at fault for that?
Percival P. Cassidy

Our American Standard Champions need flushing only once, whether for
liquid or for solids. OTOH, our old water-wasting large-volume toilets
often needed to be flushed two (or even three) times to get rid of solid
waste.

Perce

On 03/03/05 08:31 am Stormin Mormon tossed the following ingredients
into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

"flush once for liquids, flush twice for solids"

Alan

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 14:35:09 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

Our American Standard Champions need flushing only once, whether for
liquid or for solids. OTOH, our old water-wasting large-volume toilets
often needed to be flushed two (or even three) times to get rid of solid
waste.

Perce

I agree wholeheartedly.

On 03/03/05 08:31 am Stormin Mormon tossed the following ingredients
into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

"flush once for liquids, flush twice for solids"

Jack Sandweiss

wrote in message
ups.com...
You must live on the east coast as I do. These so called water saving
gadgets are a necessity for the west coast people. They are forced
down our throat by the federal government. It takes the industry a few
years to get the water saving toilet to work right. I am not the only
one who has to ditch at least one water saving toilet when it is
mandated by the fed but the toilet manufacturer did not went back to
the drawing board to re-engineer it. But I think the water saving
toilet is a good idea, after being re-engineered of course.

Historically the east coast has never had shortage of water. The
occassional drought does not count. LA for example, is practically
built in a desert.

LA IS built on a desert by the sea. I just left that warzone after 45 years
for the great northwest.

jack

Dick

wrote:

"Dick" LeadWinger wrote in message
. ..
[...]

To follow up on my original post. We now have two Toto Ultramax
toilets in the house. They are unbelievable compared to the old 3.5
Kohlers they replaced (which went to the dump.) There is so little
action when you flush you swear nothing is going to happen, but down
it goes! We are so pleased we have another Toto on order for the 1/2
bath. This one will be a Drake, which is less expensive, but rated at
even greater performance than the Ultramax (900 grams vs 700 grams.)
We are sold on the 1.6 gpf Toto's.

GET QUICK MONEY EASY AND LEGAL HERE!!! [email protected] Metalworking 1 March 3rd 05 03:59 PM
GET QUICK MONEY EASY AND LEGAL HERE!!! [email protected] Woodturning 0 March 3rd 05 03:31 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Gunner's medical bills Robert Sturgeon Metalworking 464 July 14th 04 02:48 PM
Turn $6 into $10,000 or more, Simple and Legal Insanityfirst Home Ownership 0 November 24th 03 04:51 AM