donald girod

Default wireless thermometer (off topic, I suppose, but maybe ok anyway)

I have an Oregon Scientific wireless thermometer/hygrometer. It
basically quit working back in october, and what passes for tech support
at the company told me to take the batteries out for 24 hours ("hard
reset"). I did this and it has worked for however many months it is
from October to now, but has quit again (no communication with the
remote unit).

Have other people had trouble with these products? Oregon Scientific has
several models but I think that they are all pretty much identical at
bottom, just a different selection of bells and whistles. If you have
had trouble, have you figured out a resolution? the damned thing cost
like $60, and it ****es me off that it doesn't even last two years
without problems. I'm trying the "hard reset" trick again.
Matt

I have a wireless thermometer as well.
It's glass, and uses no batteries.
It's been working fine for 20 years.
I paid $1.99 for it at rexall back in 1985.

Moral: Never buy a thermometer that needs batteries.

HTH!

Tony Hwang

donald girod wrote:
I have an Oregon Scientific wireless thermometer/hygrometer. It
basically quit working back in october, and what passes for tech support
at the company told me to take the batteries out for 24 hours ("hard
reset"). I did this and it has worked for however many months it is
from October to now, but has quit again (no communication with the
remote unit).

Have other people had trouble with these products? Oregon Scientific has
several models but I think that they are all pretty much identical at
bottom, just a different selection of bells and whistles. If you have
had trouble, have you figured out a resolution? the damned thing cost
like $60, and it ****es me off that it doesn't even last two years
without problems. I'm trying the "hard reset" trick again.

Hi,
If remote unit has battery, cold/humid weather is hard on it.
Maybe time for another reset with fresh battery. I'd try Li-Ion
battery.(there are rechargeable ones as well).
Tony
James

Have you made very certain that you have perfectly good, 100 % fresh
batteries in both the base AND remote units ??

You know the base and remote "talk" to each other, so the batteries in
both have to be ok.

--James--

Bo Williams

donald girod wrote:
I have an Oregon Scientific wireless thermometer/hygrometer. It
basically quit working back in october, and what passes for tech support
at the company told me to take the batteries out for 24 hours ("hard
reset"). I did this and it has worked for however many months it is
from October to now, but has quit again (no communication with the
remote unit).

Have other people had trouble with these products? Oregon Scientific has
several models but I think that they are all pretty much identical at
bottom, just a different selection of bells and whistles.

They are indeed. The Radio Shack units talk to the Oregon Scientific
units talk to the brand-x units without a problem. Definitely consider
that when you shop for this stuff, particularly the extra remote units.

If you have
had trouble, have you figured out a resolution? the damned thing cost
like $60, and it ****es me off that it doesn't even last two years
without problems. I'm trying the "hard reset" trick again.

I've been using two systems for several years--one with thermo and
hygro, and one with just thermo. (Contrary to what they'll tell you,
you can run both in the same location.) Also have a wireless rain
gauge. Love this stuff--great value for the money.

Others' advice about batteries is good. Temperature extremes are tough
on alkalines, but cold is particularly tough. Try lithium batteries and
see if your luck improves. I personally wouldn't mess with
rechargeables in this application, just because you'll have to change
maybe twice as often, and changing is inconvenient.

Also, I've noticed occasionally that the base can't talk to a remote
unit in continuous heavy rain, and if it stays like that for any more
than a few hours it seems to "lose its mind" and the connection is gone,
even after the rain stops. At that point hit the reset button on the
base and it'll find the remote again.

Finally, I doubt the leave-batteries-out-for-24-hours trick does
anything that hitting the reset button doesn't do, despite what support
told you.
--
Bo Williams -
http://hiwaay.net/~williams/

George E. Cawthon

donald girod wrote:
I have an Oregon Scientific wireless thermometer/hygrometer. It
basically quit working back in october, and what passes for tech support
at the company told me to take the batteries out for 24 hours ("hard
reset"). I did this and it has worked for however many months it is
from October to now, but has quit again (no communication with the
remote unit).

Have other people had trouble with these products? Oregon Scientific has
several models but I think that they are all pretty much identical at
bottom, just a different selection of bells and whistles. If you have
had trouble, have you figured out a resolution? the damned thing cost
like $60, and it ****es me off that it doesn't even last two years
without problems. I'm trying the "hard reset" trick again.

Your problem is probably just low batteries. At
lower voltages, the batteries may result in
erratic signals that screw it up. There isn't
much you can do except change the batteries.
SteveB

"donald girod" wrote in message
I have an Oregon Scientific wireless thermometer/hygrometer. It basically
quit working back in october, and what passes for tech support at the
company told me to take the batteries out for 24 hours ("hard reset"). I
did this and it has worked for however many months it is from October to
now, but has quit again (no communication with the remote unit).

Have other people had trouble with these products? Oregon Scientific has
several models but I think that they are all pretty much identical at
bottom, just a different selection of bells and whistles. If you have had
trouble, have you figured out a resolution? the damned thing cost like
$60, and it ****es me off that it doesn't even last two years without
problems. I'm trying the "hard reset" trick again.

I had the same problem. Tried the reset button. Tried new batteries.
Tried the 24 hour reset. Tried the bounce it off the refrigerator reset.
Three of them. All useless except for the "base" unit.

I went back to the cheapies that have the long wire on it as a remote
sensor. Not nearly as trick or convenient, but a whole lot cheaper.

Steve

PJx

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 21:08:48 -0500, donald girod
wrote:

I have an Oregon Scientific wireless thermometer/hygrometer. It
basically quit working back in october, and what passes for tech support
at the company told me to take the batteries out for 24 hours ("hard
reset"). I did this and it has worked for however many months it is
from October to now, but has quit again (no communication with the
remote unit).

Have other people had trouble with these products? Oregon Scientific has
several models but I think that they are all pretty much identical at
bottom, just a different selection of bells and whistles. If you have
had trouble, have you figured out a resolution? the damned thing cost
like $60, and it ****es me off that it doesn't even last two years
without problems. I'm trying the "hard reset" trick again.

me too.

Warranty was 90 days. Mine quit working at 120 days.

Looks nice on the outside but pure crap on the inside.

PJ

Alan

wrote:

I have an Oregon Scientific wireless thermometer/hygrometer. It
basically quit working back in october, and what passes for tech support
at the company told me to take the batteries out for 24 hours ("hard
reset"). I did this and it has worked for however many months it is
from October to now, but has quit again (no communication with the
remote unit).

Have other people had trouble with these products? Oregon Scientific has
several models but I think that they are all pretty much identical at
bottom, just a different selection of bells and whistles. If you have
had trouble, have you figured out a resolution? the damned thing cost
like $60, and it ****es me off that it doesn't even last two years
without problems. I'm trying the "hard reset" trick again.

Mine would quit working every once in a while until I placed the two
units in much closer proximity to each other.
donald girod

The thing I love about this newsgroup is that you can always depend on
respondents to assume you are an idiot. Why, if I were planning to
spend half an hour on hold in order to talk to someone at Oregon
Scientific, would I not first change the batteries, press the reset, and
do all the stuff it says in the book to do? Why would cold be an issue
if the failures occur in warm weather as well?

It has been useful, however--I did learn that a majority of respondents
have not had trouble, and two others have. Not a great statistical
study, but an indication that at least some of these units function as
intended.

bl

donald girod wrote:

It has been useful, however--I did learn that a majority of respondents
have not had trouble, and two others have. Not a great statistical
study, but an indication that at least some of these units function as
intended.

I've been using a Taylor for about a year. It's worked fine. 3 remote
channels plus the base unit.

- b
Dick

I have had an Oregon Scientific weather BAR888A wireless weather
station, which includes an atomic clock, in/out temp, and barometric
pressure indicator. It has been in operation since Dec 2000. I did
have a problem initially finding the right spot for the outside
transmitter. Once that was solved it has worked flawlessly.

I also have an Oregon Scientific WMR-968 wireless station, which
includes a console and wireless senders for inside temp and humidity
and barometric pressure. It includes wireless senders outside for
outside temp and humidity, rainfall and wind speed and direction. I
also have remote sensors in the garage for temp/humidity and one in
the freezer in the garage to monitor its temperature. This system has
operated without problem since Dec 2001. The data from this station
is transmitted every 4-minutes to the Internet, and can be read
worldwide. I am also part of the SkyWarn group which depends upon
data from this station.

Although Oregon Scientific equipment is not considered to be the
Cadillac of weather systems (Davis is considered better) it is still
providing dependable weather data around the world. For the money it
is a good value. Their customer service leaves a lot to be desired
(like a lot of companies today), but you can find plenty of support on
the Internet if you do some searching.

Dick

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 09:02:26 -0500, donald girod
wrote:

The thing I love about this newsgroup is that you can always depend on
respondents to assume you are an idiot. Why, if I were planning to
spend half an hour on hold in order to talk to someone at Oregon
Scientific, would I not first change the batteries, press the reset, and
do all the stuff it says in the book to do? Why would cold be an issue
if the failures occur in warm weather as well?

It has been useful, however--I did learn that a majority of respondents
have not had trouble, and two others have. Not a great statistical
study, but an indication that at least some of these units function as
intended.

Ross Mac

"donald girod" wrote in message
The thing I love about this newsgroup is that you can always depend on
respondents to assume you are an idiot. Why, if I were planning to spend
half an hour on hold in order to talk to someone at Oregon Scientific,
would I not first change the batteries, press the reset, and do all the
stuff it says in the book to do? Why would cold be an issue if the
failures occur in warm weather as well?

It has been useful, however--I did learn that a majority of respondents
have not had trouble, and two others have. Not a great statistical study,
but an indication that at least some of these units function as intended.

Is yours a model BAR112HGA???
If so mine acted up too and I suspect it was caused by a battery voltage
that dropped on the unit outside during a freeze. After that they all flaked
out. I pulled all the batteries on all the units, put them in close
proximity and started from scratch. It has been working for three months now
without a problem.....
These units have a 1 year warranty and you might try emailing them at

One other thing, if you have any other devices that operate at 433mhz that
*would* cause it to flake out. I discovered a similar problem with the
2.4ghz phone and the 2.4ghz wireless gateway on my laptop. The phone would
echo and the network would slow down....Good Luck, Ross

Bob

donald girod wrote:
I have an Oregon Scientific wireless thermometer/hygrometer. It
basically quit working back in october, and what passes for tech
support at the company told me to take the batteries out for 24 hours
("hard reset"). I did this and it has worked for however many months
it is from October to now, but has quit again (no communication with
the remote unit).

Have other people had trouble with these products? Oregon Scientific
has several models but I think that they are all pretty much
identical at bottom, just a different selection of bells and
whistles. If you have had trouble, have you figured out a
resolution? the damned thing cost like $60, and it ****es me off
that it doesn't even last two years without problems. I'm trying the
"hard reset" trick again.

My mom has the Oregon Scientific atomic clock / moon phase / indoor and
outdoor temp model, and hers lost communication with the outdoor sensor last
winter. I tried doing a simple "swap the batteries" in the outdoor sensor,
but it still wouldn't work. Ended up following the instructions on doing a
full reset - I can't remember the exact sequence, but it was something like
power up the outdoor sensor first, then power up and set the indoor unit.
At least that did get communication going again with the outdoor sensor.

Bob.

Jmagerl

I have two wireless thermometers. Every time I turn on the one for the
barbeque, the other one gets screwed up (hard reset needed). Even though
they are on seperate channels. So I would consider interference as a
possible cause of your problem too.

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
donald girod wrote:
[...]

James

You can get mad if you want, but weak batteries is the most common cause of
the problems that you describe.

--James--

Takoma Park Volunteer Fire Department Postmaster

donald girod wrote:
The thing I love about this newsgroup is that you can always depend on
respondents to assume you are an idiot. Why, if I were planning to
spend half an hour on hold in order to talk to someone at Oregon
Scientific, would I not first change the batteries, press the reset, and
do all the stuff it says in the book to do? Why would cold be an issue
if the failures occur in warm weather as well?

It has been useful, however--I did learn that a majority of respondents
have not had trouble, and two others have. Not a great statistical
study, but an indication that at least some of these units function as
intended.

Since you have ruled out temperature extreme effects on the batteries as
the cause of your problem have you checked that the signal is in fact
reaching the receiver? Ask around the area and see if you can locate an
amateur radio operator who might be willing to check if the signal
strength is high enough at the receivers antenna. They do make relay
units for the wireless remote sensors that can overcome terrain and
distance problems.
--
Tom H
Tony Hwang

Bo Williams wrote:

Finally, I doubt the leave-batteries-out-for-24-hours trick does
anything that hitting the reset button doesn't do, despite what support
told you.

Hi,
Some times it does. So called hard reset and soft reset.
On some electronics devices, they are different resets.
Tony
SteveB

Bo Williams wrote:

Finally, I doubt the leave-batteries-out-for-24-hours trick does anything
that hitting the reset button doesn't do, despite what support told you.

Does this make it so, Grasshoppa?