Takoma Park Volunteer Fire Department Postmaster

donald girod wrote:
The thing I love about this newsgroup is that you can always depend on
respondents to assume you are an idiot. Why, if I were planning to
spend half an hour on hold in order to talk to someone at Oregon
Scientific, would I not first change the batteries, press the reset, and
do all the stuff it says in the book to do? Why would cold be an issue
if the failures occur in warm weather as well?

It has been useful, however--I did learn that a majority of respondents
have not had trouble, and two others have. Not a great statistical
study, but an indication that at least some of these units function as
intended.

Since you have ruled out temperature extreme effects on the batteries as
the cause of your problem have you checked that the signal is in fact
reaching the receiver? Ask around the area and see if you can locate an
amateur radio operator who might be willing to check if the signal
strength is high enough at the receivers antenna. They do make relay
units for the wireless remote sensors that can overcome terrain and
distance problems.
--
Tom H