Bo Williams

donald girod wrote:
I have an Oregon Scientific wireless thermometer/hygrometer. It
basically quit working back in october, and what passes for tech support
at the company told me to take the batteries out for 24 hours ("hard
reset"). I did this and it has worked for however many months it is
from October to now, but has quit again (no communication with the
remote unit).

Have other people had trouble with these products? Oregon Scientific has
several models but I think that they are all pretty much identical at
bottom, just a different selection of bells and whistles.

They are indeed. The Radio Shack units talk to the Oregon Scientific
units talk to the brand-x units without a problem. Definitely consider
that when you shop for this stuff, particularly the extra remote units.

If you have
had trouble, have you figured out a resolution? the damned thing cost
like $60, and it ****es me off that it doesn't even last two years
without problems. I'm trying the "hard reset" trick again.

I've been using two systems for several years--one with thermo and
hygro, and one with just thermo. (Contrary to what they'll tell you,
you can run both in the same location.) Also have a wireless rain
gauge. Love this stuff--great value for the money.

Others' advice about batteries is good. Temperature extremes are tough
on alkalines, but cold is particularly tough. Try lithium batteries and
see if your luck improves. I personally wouldn't mess with
rechargeables in this application, just because you'll have to change
maybe twice as often, and changing is inconvenient.

Also, I've noticed occasionally that the base can't talk to a remote
unit in continuous heavy rain, and if it stays like that for any more
than a few hours it seems to "lose its mind" and the connection is gone,
even after the rain stops. At that point hit the reset button on the
base and it'll find the remote again.

Finally, I doubt the leave-batteries-out-for-24-hours trick does
anything that hitting the reset button doesn't do, despite what support
told you.
--
Bo Williams -
http://hiwaay.net/~williams/