Techforce

Can you post a model number?

"Fred Mann" wrote in message
|I have a Samsung TV manufactured in 1998. I picked it up from a trash pile
| on bulky-item pickup day!! To my surprise, it worked fine. But
occasionally,
| the picture would "compress" or shrink in an oscillating fashion. It would
| "shrink" in the way that the image "shrinks" when you turn off a TV (right
| before the screen goes black). It would oscillate, and sometimes turn
itself
| off. (sound was fine) Gradually, this started to happen more often, until
it
| began to turn itself off after only a couple of minutes. Now, when I hit
the
| power button, the TV does not come on at all, but there is a "click"
sound,
| followed immediatley by another "click" sound as the TV shuts itself back
| off.
| Any ideas?
| Thanks!!!
| Fred

Sam Goldwasser

"Fred Mann" writes:

I have a Samsung TV manufactured in 1998. I picked it up from a trash pile
on bulky-item pickup day!! To my surprise, it worked fine. But occasionally,
the picture would "compress" or shrink in an oscillating fashion. It would
"shrink" in the way that the image "shrinks" when you turn off a TV (right
before the screen goes black). It would oscillate, and sometimes turn itself
off. (sound was fine) Gradually, this started to happen more often, until it
began to turn itself off after only a couple of minutes. Now, when I hit the
power button, the TV does not come on at all, but there is a "click" sound,
followed immediatley by another "click" sound as the TV shuts itself back
off.

Probably either bad solder connections or a component that is heating
up and failing.

In either case, it will need service. If the TV works well otherwise, it
may be worth it.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Doug Miller

In article , "Fred Mann" wrote:
I have a Samsung TV manufactured in 1998. I picked it up from a trash pile
on bulky-item pickup day!! To my surprise, it worked fine. But occasionally,
the picture would "compress" or shrink in an oscillating fashion. It would
"shrink" in the way that the image "shrinks" when you turn off a TV (right
before the screen goes black). It would oscillate, and sometimes turn itself
off. (sound was fine) Gradually, this started to happen more often, until it
began to turn itself off after only a couple of minutes. Now, when I hit the
power button, the TV does not come on at all, but there is a "click" sound,
followed immediatley by another "click" sound as the TV shuts itself back
off.
Any ideas?

The most obvious idea is that you have learned why it was in the trash pile.
:-)

--
Regards,

Rick Brandt

"Fred Mann" wrote in message

wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 15:20:40 -0800, "Fred Mann"

wrote:

[...]

Observe all proper safety precautions, and resolder the connections to the
flyback to see if that cures it.

BB

I don't know how to identify the flyback. I have soldered and desoldered
things, but I don't know TVs too well. Do you have a link to a
diagram/picture, or can you explain how to locate the flyback?

The flyback is the transformer looking thing with a large wire coming out the
top and attaching to the bell of the picture tube. It's also one of the things
that will ruin your day if you touch the wrong spot.

Also keep in mind that a TV also has places that can ruin your day if you touch
them even with the power off. In addition to some largish capacitors, the tube
will store many tens of thousands of volts of static virtually indefinitely
unless the technician specifically dissipates it.

The old rule was "one hand in a pocket at all times".

Rick Brandt

"Fred Mann" wrote in message

The part with the suction-cup-looking thing? Which spot is the wrong spot?
(tantalizing) If I can do this without dying, I'm game.

Well there could be several, but the suction cup looking thing is definitely one
of them. Just be careful in getting the board set up where you have access to
the solder joints and then avoid touching any circuit that you don't have to.

The flyback is a notorious area for developing bad solder joints. Often you can
even see discoloration where the circuit was arcing so see if you can find any
of those. It is also not unusual for these failures to be internal to the
flyback so many times you can resolder the whole board and it doesn't help.

Techforce

Theres a history of Vertical problems in this set. Sometimes it winds up
being the EEPROM, other times components need to be changed. I gather when
you say 'compressed' you mean vertical collapse?

"Fred Mann" wrote in message
|I have a Samsung TV manufactured in 1998. I picked it up from a trash pile
| on bulky-item pickup day!! To my surprise, it worked fine. But
occasionally,
| the picture would "compress" or shrink in an oscillating fashion. It would
| "shrink" in the way that the image "shrinks" when you turn off a TV (right
| before the screen goes black). It would oscillate, and sometimes turn
itself
| off. (sound was fine) Gradually, this started to happen more often, until
it
| began to turn itself off after only a couple of minutes. Now, when I hit
the
| power button, the TV does not come on at all, but there is a "click"
sound,
| followed immediatley by another "click" sound as the TV shuts itself back
| off.
| Any ideas?
| Thanks!!!
| Fred

David Martel

Fred,

A TV will have only one flyback transformer. As everyone else said BE
CAREFUL

Dave M.

Fred Mann

It's TXG2547

"Techforce" wrote in message
Can you post a model number?

"Fred Mann" wrote in message
|I have a Samsung TV manufactured in 1998. I picked it up from a trash

pile
| on bulky-item pickup day!! To my surprise, it worked fine. But
occasionally,
| the picture would "compress" or shrink in an oscillating fashion. It

would
| "shrink" in the way that the image "shrinks" when you turn off a TV

(right
| before the screen goes black). It would oscillate, and sometimes turn
itself
| off. (sound was fine) Gradually, this started to happen more often,

until
it
| began to turn itself off after only a couple of minutes. Now, when I hit
the
| power button, the TV does not come on at all, but there is a "click"
sound,
| followed immediatley by another "click" sound as the TV shuts itself

back
| off.
| Any ideas?
| Thanks!!!
| Fred

James Sweet

"Fred Mann" wrote in message
[...]

When you started out it was a simple cold solder joint, probably would have
taken 20 minutes to repair and well within the reach of a novice. By
continuing to use it you probably blew out the horizontal output transistor
or something in the power supply, it's still repairable but it'll take a lot
more work now.

James Sweet

wrote:

[...]

First bit of advice, read the sci.electronics.repair FAQ, if you can solder
then you're on your way but *read* the safety stuff and make sure you
understand it first. If you search for flyback transformer online you'll
find pictures of them, I strongly suspect something else has popped though.

Fred Mann

"Fred Mann" wrote in message

The part with the suction-cup-looking thing? Which spot is the wrong

spot?
(tantalizing) If I can do this without dying, I'm game.

Well there could be several, but the suction cup looking thing is

definitely one
of them. Just be careful in getting the board set up where you have

access to
the solder joints and then avoid touching any circuit that you don't have

to.

THANKS!! Where would the other flyback be?

The flyback is a notorious area for developing bad solder joints. Often

you can
even see discoloration where the circuit was arcing so see if you can find

any
of those. It is also not unusual for these failures to be internal to the
flyback so many times you can resolder the whole board and it doesn't

help.

Jamie

Rick Brandt wrote:

"Fred Mann" wrote in message

wrote in message
. ..

The flyback is the transformer looking thing with a large wire coming out the
top and attaching to the bell of the picture tube. It's also one of the things
that will ruin your day if you touch the wrong spot.

Also keep in mind that a TV also has places that can ruin your day if you touch
them even with the power off. In addition to some largish capacitors, the tube
will store many tens of thousands of volts of static virtually indefinitely
unless the technician specifically dissipates it.

The old rule was "one hand in a pocket at all times".

ok, i have my other hand in me pocket!, what do i do with me
gutt that is sitting on the edge of the bench ?

Jerry G.

This sounds like some components in the vertical deflection area have become
intermittent, or thermo sensitive from age. The set is fixable by someone
who is properly trained, has the service manual, and the proper setup to
service it.

In the set, there are also some software criteria's with the EPROM, and the
internal software. There are times, when this is a problem as well. In your
case, it may just be some parts that have to be determined, and changed. It
would be a wild guess to make an exact recommendation.

I saw that someone was talking about the flyback. This has nothing to do
with the vertical compression fault! Most of the time, a defect in the area
of the flyback will effect the high voltage, focusing, and maybe some width
problems.

I strongly recommend, you give the set out for proper service, rather than
tear in to it yourself. There are some very serious safety concerns, not
only with the high voltage, but also with the main voltage distribution
within the set. Also, there is the responsibility for safety hazard concerns
when changing parts, and make soldering on the circuit boards.

I have been in the TV service business for a good part of my working life,
so I know what I am talking about. On a number of occasions, I have seen
customers injured badly from trying to service their own sets just to see if
they can save a few dollars.

--

Jerry G.
======

"Fred Mann" wrote in message
I have a Samsung TV manufactured in 1998. I picked it up from a trash pile
on bulky-item pickup day!! To my surprise, it worked fine. But occasionally,
the picture would "compress" or shrink in an oscillating fashion. It would
"shrink" in the way that the image "shrinks" when you turn off a TV (right
before the screen goes black). It would oscillate, and sometimes turn itself
off. (sound was fine) Gradually, this started to happen more often, until it
began to turn itself off after only a couple of minutes. Now, when I hit the
power button, the TV does not come on at all, but there is a "click" sound,
followed immediatley by another "click" sound as the TV shuts itself back
off.
Any ideas?
Thanks!!!
Fred

Sam Goldwasser

Well, no where does he say anything specifically about vertical collapse,
just that it behaves the same as when it is turned off. That could be
flyback or secondary power supply related.

I agree with your warnings though.

"Fred Mann" wrote in message
I have a Samsung TV manufactured in 1998. I picked it up from a trash pile
on bulky-item pickup day!! To my surprise, it worked fine. But occasionally,
the picture would "compress" or shrink in an oscillating fashion. It would
"shrink" in the way that the image "shrinks" when you turn off a TV (right
before the screen goes black). It would oscillate, and sometimes turn itself
off. (sound was fine) Gradually, this started to happen more often, until it
began to turn itself off after only a couple of minutes. Now, when I hit the
power button, the TV does not come on at all, but there is a "click" sound,
followed immediatley by another "click" sound as the TV shuts itself back
off.
Any ideas?
Thanks!!!
Fred

Sam Goldwasser

Usmiech writes:

"Fred Mann" wrote in
:

I have a Samsung TV manufactured in 1998. I picked it up from a trash
pile on bulky-item pickup day!! To my surprise, it worked fine. But
occasionally, the picture would "compress" or shrink in an oscillating
fashion. It would "shrink" in the way that the image "shrinks" when
you turn off a TV (right before the screen goes black). It would
oscillate, and sometimes turn itself off. (sound was fine) Gradually,
this started to happen more often, until it began to turn itself off
after only a couple of minutes. Now, when I hit the power button, the
TV does not come on at all, but there is a "click" sound, followed
immediatley by another "click" sound as the TV shuts itself back off.
Any ideas?
Thanks!!!
Fred

Buy a new one at Walmart for about $100.

Heck, and I thought this was a *repair* groupt.

Great advice.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Techforce

| Buy a new one at Walmart for about $100.
|
| Heck, and I thought this was a *repair* groupt.
|
| Great advice.

See: alt.consumer.buy-a-new-one.wallmart )

Sam Goldwasser

"Techforce" writes:

| Buy a new one at Walmart for about $100.
|
| Heck, and I thought this was a *repair* groupt.
|
| Great advice.

See: alt.consumer.buy-a-new-one.wallmart )

Actually, the complete name would be
alt.consumer.buy-a-new-one.piece.of.junk.wallmart.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

meirman

In alt.home.repair on Mon, 21 Feb 2005 04:57:43 GMT Usmiech
posted:

"Fred Mann" wrote in
:

I have a Samsung TV manufactured in 1998. I picked it up from a trash
pile on bulky-item pickup day!! To my surprise, it worked fine. But
occasionally, the picture would "compress" or shrink in an oscillating
fashion. It would "shrink" in the way that the image "shrinks" when
you turn off a TV (right before the screen goes black). It would
oscillate, and sometimes turn itself off. (sound was fine) Gradually,
this started to happen more often, until it began to turn itself off
after only a couple of minutes. Now, when I hit the power button, the
TV does not come on at all, but there is a "click" sound, followed
immediatley by another "click" sound as the TV shuts itself back off.
Any ideas?
Thanks!!!
Fred

Buy a new one at Walmart for about $100.

Unless he's really broke, anyone can spend money. The goal is the
pleasure of doing the repair and of seeing it repaired at the end.

I've gotten lots of tv out of the trash. In one case I was on my way
to pick up a date and go to the Bronx zoo. I didn't think about it
during the day, but during dinner I looked forward to going home and
working on it. Alas, when I got home, it worked fine. What a
disappointment.

Another time I was on my 10-speed bike, coming back from Riis Park and
I saw a 9-inch tv on top of the trash near Kings Plaza. While I was
trying to figure out how to tie it to my bike, the woman who owned
the house came out with some twine to tie it to my lightweight luggage
rack. She thought it was just a tube, but it turned out to be only a
fuse. I still have the set and it still works fine.

In Baltimore, there aren't as many in the trash, so I buy some for a
dollar or two at yard sales, up to 5 or once in a great while 10 if
they are color. They're getting harder to fix, but I still have
successes. The latest one was on the curb waiting for the trash at a
community clubhouse. It was too green, but the green screen was all
the way at the bottom. I had to turn the red and the blue higher, and
now I have a darn good picture in a late-model tv. I use that one in
the basement in my shop/family room.

Others I fix and sell or give away.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
Steven

Then you honestly should take it to someone who does, as it's not easy to
describe such a part to someone who doesn't know one from Adam other than
it's part of the tube on the end concerned with voltages to the gun (often
in the thousand of volts). High Voltage components are not to trifle with
and a flyback is not a DIY repair for the average Joe. I am being honest
when I say that this is something you cannot do with your level of
knowledge, while you were looking for a DIY fixit cure anyone could
accomplish. This is not that repair. I wish I could paint a rosier picture
or rule out other problems or even provide a website. Google flyback or CRT
or TV tube construction, or similar and perhaps that will help, or consult a
local broadcast engineer or TV serviceman or enthusiast, and that would be
better still.