Steven

Then you honestly should take it to someone who does, as it's not easy to
describe such a part to someone who doesn't know one from Adam other than
it's part of the tube on the end concerned with voltages to the gun (often
in the thousand of volts). High Voltage components are not to trifle with
and a flyback is not a DIY repair for the average Joe. I am being honest
when I say that this is something you cannot do with your level of
knowledge, while you were looking for a DIY fixit cure anyone could
accomplish. This is not that repair. I wish I could paint a rosier picture
or rule out other problems or even provide a website. Google flyback or CRT
or TV tube construction, or similar and perhaps that will help, or consult a
local broadcast engineer or TV serviceman or enthusiast, and that would be
better still.
"Fred Mann" wrote in message

wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 15:20:40 -0800, "Fred Mann"

wrote:

I have a Samsung TV manufactured in 1998. I picked it up from a trash

pile
on bulky-item pickup day!! To my surprise, it worked fine. But

occasionally,
the picture would "compress" or shrink in an oscillating fashion. It

would
"shrink" in the way that the image "shrinks" when you turn off a TV

(right
before the screen goes black). It would oscillate, and sometimes turn

itself
off. (sound was fine) Gradually, this started to happen more often,

until
it
began to turn itself off after only a couple of minutes. Now, when I

hit
the
power button, the TV does not come on at all, but there is a "click"

sound,
followed immediatley by another "click" sound as the TV shuts itself

back
off.
Any ideas?
Thanks!!!
Fred

Observe all proper safety precautions, and resolder the connections to

the
flyback to see if that cures it.

BB

I don't know how to identify the flyback. I have soldered and desoldered
things, but I don't know TVs too well. Do you have a link to a
diagram/picture, or can you explain how to locate the flyback?