Sam Goldwasser

Well, no where does he say anything specifically about vertical collapse,
just that it behaves the same as when it is turned off. That could be
flyback or secondary power supply related.

I agree with your warnings though.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

"Jerry G." writes:

This sounds like some components in the vertical deflection area have become
intermittent, or thermo sensitive from age. The set is fixable by someone
who is properly trained, has the service manual, and the proper setup to
service it.

In the set, there are also some software criteria's with the EPROM, and the
internal software. There are times, when this is a problem as well. In your
case, it may just be some parts that have to be determined, and changed. It
would be a wild guess to make an exact recommendation.

I saw that someone was talking about the flyback. This has nothing to do
with the vertical compression fault! Most of the time, a defect in the area
of the flyback will effect the high voltage, focusing, and maybe some width
problems.

I strongly recommend, you give the set out for proper service, rather than
tear in to it yourself. There are some very serious safety concerns, not
only with the high voltage, but also with the main voltage distribution
within the set. Also, there is the responsibility for safety hazard concerns
when changing parts, and make soldering on the circuit boards.

I have been in the TV service business for a good part of my working life,
so I know what I am talking about. On a number of occasions, I have seen
customers injured badly from trying to service their own sets just to see if
they can save a few dollars.

--

Jerry G.
======

"Fred Mann" wrote in message
I have a Samsung TV manufactured in 1998. I picked it up from a trash pile
on bulky-item pickup day!! To my surprise, it worked fine. But occasionally,
the picture would "compress" or shrink in an oscillating fashion. It would
"shrink" in the way that the image "shrinks" when you turn off a TV (right
before the screen goes black). It would oscillate, and sometimes turn itself
off. (sound was fine) Gradually, this started to happen more often, until it
began to turn itself off after only a couple of minutes. Now, when I hit the
power button, the TV does not come on at all, but there is a "click" sound,
followed immediatley by another "click" sound as the TV shuts itself back
off.
Any ideas?
Thanks!!!
Fred