meirman

In alt.home.repair on Mon, 21 Feb 2005 04:57:43 GMT Usmiech
posted:

"Fred Mann" wrote in
:

I have a Samsung TV manufactured in 1998. I picked it up from a trash
pile on bulky-item pickup day!! To my surprise, it worked fine. But
occasionally, the picture would "compress" or shrink in an oscillating
fashion. It would "shrink" in the way that the image "shrinks" when
you turn off a TV (right before the screen goes black). It would
oscillate, and sometimes turn itself off. (sound was fine) Gradually,
this started to happen more often, until it began to turn itself off
after only a couple of minutes. Now, when I hit the power button, the
TV does not come on at all, but there is a "click" sound, followed
immediatley by another "click" sound as the TV shuts itself back off.
Any ideas?
Thanks!!!
Fred

Buy a new one at Walmart for about $100.

Unless he's really broke, anyone can spend money. The goal is the
pleasure of doing the repair and of seeing it repaired at the end.

I've gotten lots of tv out of the trash. In one case I was on my way
to pick up a date and go to the Bronx zoo. I didn't think about it
during the day, but during dinner I looked forward to going home and
working on it. Alas, when I got home, it worked fine. What a
disappointment.

Another time I was on my 10-speed bike, coming back from Riis Park and
I saw a 9-inch tv on top of the trash near Kings Plaza. While I was
trying to figure out how to tie it to my bike, the woman who owned
the house came out with some twine to tie it to my lightweight luggage
rack. She thought it was just a tube, but it turned out to be only a
fuse. I still have the set and it still works fine.

In Baltimore, there aren't as many in the trash, so I buy some for a
dollar or two at yard sales, up to 5 or once in a great while 10 if
they are color. They're getting harder to fix, but I still have
successes. The latest one was on the curb waiting for the trash at a
community clubhouse. It was too green, but the green screen was all
the way at the bottom. I had to turn the red and the blue higher, and
now I have a darn good picture in a late-model tv. I use that one in
the basement in my shop/family room.

Others I fix and sell or give away.

Meirman
--