Artist

The police officer called it "A complaint against not paying the
contractor." It is a criminal act. I will call Lawyers and let you all know
how it goes.
I need to have legal advisement before I proceed with anything. You all have
given me many ideas and helpful question to start asking a attorney..

"Eric Tonks" etonks@sunstormADD-DOT-COM wrote in message
I have never heard of an unpaid bill being a criminal act. If this were

true
there would be a lot more criminals in the world. Also your state may have

holdback law, where you are required to hold back 10% or some other
percentage for 90 days to protect yourself from the contractor's unpaid
(criminal again?) sub-contractors and/or suppliers.

Again ONLY A LAWYER in your state can advise you on where you stand and

how
you can recover your clean-up costs.

"Artist" wrote in message
thank you for adding humor...
I just came back form the police officer...he said it's criminal not to

pay
the contractor is 10 day of receiving a certified letter asking for

payment.
The officer will summons me to court to pay him for work done in my

home.
have no recourse but to pay him. Then go after him through Superior

County
Court with a civil suet.
This whole matter is mind blowing....
Thanks to everyone for their help and advise. It got me to go to back to

the
police station and hear the officer again.

"Ed" wrote in message

wrote

Do NOT take legal advice from a police officer. Especially when the

issue
is not
criminal law. This is not a criminal law issue. The police officer

is
trying to
be helpful, but giving you legal advice was an inappropriate thing

for
him
do. You need to talk to a LAWYER, and very quickly!

BB

How true. Last summer I had chipmunks attacking the tomatoes in my

garden.
called the PD to ask if I needed a permit too buy a BB gun. The

officer
told
me a permit is no longer required but he asked why I wanted to buy a

BB
gun.
I told him and he said I should just buy a Have A Heart trap and catch

them,
transport them to another area and release them. The next day a local
newspaper had a story about the huge chipmunk population and warned

about
transporting them to another area. It seems that it's illegal to do so

and
the story went on to say that the best alternative was to destroy the
chipmunks in a humain way, not with poisen in other words.

Artist

I had a printed proposal not a contract. It had a standard phase at the
bottom.
Reading something that the homeowner need to have proper insurance against
fire, flood...and the work will be conducted in a workman like manner per
industry standards. I have the homeowners insurance but I don't think the
work was conducted professionally leaving my in a contaminated state. I
thought this was the grounds I could withhold payment. I will ask the
lawyer.

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
Eric Tonks wrote:
I have never heard of an unpaid bill being a criminal act.

With the exception of 'intent to defraud' (i.e. uttering) I think you
are correct. In this case, the OP simply hasn't paid a bill that (is,
may be) due. That's not a criminal act in any state that I am aware of.

IANAL.

Travis Jordan

Artist wrote:
The police officer called it "A complaint against not paying the
contractor." It is a criminal act. I will call Lawyers and let you

Please do let us know about NJ law. It is possible that the police
officer may be misinformed as to the criminality of the offense.

Artist

Well taken. The work was done on the 8th of February, it has been only ten
days. So, I don't think he has grounds for a $600.00 fee, to place a lien on
my property. I will pay him if the attorney believes it the way to go. I
plan to contact the license board on Tuesday. My local authorities have been
notified as far as the permit for the work. They will be contacting me
Tuesday to answer my questions.

All excellent advice.

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
Joseph Meehan wrote:
In most areas he can ask for a lien placed on your
property. That's why you really need to contact the attorney.

Very, very sound advice.

m Ransley

Ive stopped payment many times and have never heard of it being a
criminal matter just a civil ,matter. I dought he has insurance or
lisence or bond. Beat him to the draw and file in small claim on the
insurance issue and check to see if he is really lisenced or your rates
may be affected. If the police are right the fact that you filed will
keep you from being persued by them.

Or talk to your city DA its free . You dont need to pay for legal
advise, it is there, The DAs office will be interested in uninsured
unlisenced contractors as that is a crime. The DA will probably direct
you best, so you can beat him to the correct course of action and your
protection.

Art

Did you stop payment on the check? That can be a criminal problem and you
will have to convince a judge that you did it because you discovered the
work was defective, not because you were trying to stiff him. Otherwise in
most states, his getting paid is a civil manner though he might be able to
get a lien on your home temporarily.

"Artist" wrote in message
I'm a first-timer to your Newsgroup.

I was wondering if I may get some legal advice on a home improvement
project
that went very bad. I live in the State of New Jersey.

Home Improvement gone bad- chimney liner:

The project started with being red-tagged from my local gas company
because
my water heater flue was back-drafting and the fumes where venting
directly
into my living space.

I hired a local chimney contractor to install a chimney liner because my
chimney was to big to draw the air properly. To make a long story kind of
short.....1. the contractor forgot to turn off my heater while working and
the heating system "calf" the soot and soil all through out my home. I
immediately asked him to come look at the damage to my home, he refused
and
said it was just a bit of dust. 2. Also, the contractor forgot to seal off
the area he was working in so the immediate living space was soiled due to
cutting through the masonry wall to the chimney's existing flue. The
damage
to my home was so great that I received nose bleeds, headaches, and was
sick
to my stomach. I couldn't live in my home till the toxic mater was cleaned
up.

Consequently to correct this matter, I had set up an appointment with the
chimney contractor to come and view the damages two days. He stated on the
phone that he would be willing to pay my homeowner's deductible but was
not
willing to report the claim to his insurance company. I said this was not
expectable to me. He said when he would come over we could try to work
something out in a friendly fashion. He missed the appointment and never
returned my follow-up call. I proceeded to have my homeowners insurance
company come and clean-up my heating ducts/system, and my whole interior
of
my home and property...a four day clean up with five person team. I live
in
a three story townhouse 1,800 SF. I live and work from home and need to
have
the clean happen ASAP.

The contractor whom caused the damage showed up at my doorstep a week
after
the accident. He only showed up at my doorstep unannounced because I
canceled payment for his work done. (The chimney is working correctly and
the gas company has since removed the red-tagged and I can use the water
heater.) He claims he couldn't make the appointment due to he was in a car
accident. I said I was sorry to hear that but this is business and he
should
of had his insurance agent contacted me directly. He wanted to get pay and
didn't want to furnish me with his company's insurance information
(certificate of insurance). He said since the clean up was almost complete
that his insurance company would not pay for the damages. I informed him
that my insurance company took picture and wrote a report as did the
professional cleaning up company and would forward the information to his
company. I stated it is in the hands of the insurance companies. He still
refused to supply me with this information and I said I will not pay him
till this matter is resolved. He was screaming at me at this
point.....tons
of drama that scared me. I just shut my door on him. He screamed he was
going to go to the police, I said good. I then dialed 911 and the police
took my statement.

When the police arrived at my home they stated; it's against the law not
pay him the contractor for his work done even thought his work cause
considerable damage to my home. That damage was a civil matter only. The
officer state I must pay the contractor in 10 day after I receive his
certified letter requesting payment or I will have to go to court for a
criminal offense. Is this correct? Will I be issued a summons to go to
court
for a criminal offense because this contractor didn't do his work in a
workman like manner; as it is stated in is his proposal/contract of work
rendered? And I refuse to pay till the matter is settled? Don't I have the
right to receive his insurance company information?

Thank you for reading this explanation. I would appreciate any advise this
forum may have to offer.

Sincerely,
Artist

Art

Is he supposed to be licensed? Call the licensing agency and get his
insurance info from them. He may also have a bond posted with them.

"Artist" wrote in message
news
Thank you for your advise. I was told I didn't need a permit by the two
contractors I had come out to give the estimate. I will call the building
department.
I'm asking for advise in general. I have posed my problem to the legal
forum
as well.
Thanks for the advise,
Artist

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
Artist wrote:
I relies this but I was wondering what other home owners may have
done or any home improvement contractors experience on a matter like
this.

OK, but remember, this is NOT legal advice and you should consult a
lawyer immediately.

Was a permit required for this job? Did the contractor get one? If
not, call your local city / county inspection agency and ask them to
cite the contractor for working without a permit. They will get his
insurance information (if he has any).

Jeff Wisnia

xrongor wrote:

ignore all advice here unless it is to call a lawyer.

randy

This isn't advice, but FWIW, this page seems to say that your contractor
doesen't have to be licensed in New Jersey intil December 31, 2005.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Artist

I believe in the state of NJ from the repair and remodeling he needs to be
licensed. I was unable to find him in the system so I will call first thing
Tuesday morning. If I can get the insurance information that way I will
release his funds owed.
He don't advertise that his is bonded.

k.net...

Artist wrote:
I relies this but I was wondering what other home owners may have
done or any home improvement contractors experience on a matter like
this.

OK, but remember, this is NOT legal advice and you should consult a
lawyer immediately.

Was a permit required for this job? Did the contractor get one? If
not, call your local city / county inspection agency and ask them to
cite the contractor for working without a permit. They will get his
insurance information (if he has any).

Artist

I was wondering about that, my township should have a DA. I really am
concerned with the summons the Police will issue me, they said it is
criminal. I will go down to City Hall Tuesday. This is a lot of work and
time. But I believe I'm right and should at least get his insurance
information.

Thank you for your affirmation that "stop payment" is different then a "bad
check."

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Ive stopped payment many times and have never heard of it being a
criminal matter just a civil ,matter. I dought he has insurance or
lisence or bond. Beat him to the draw and file in small claim on the
insurance issue and check to see if he is really lisenced or your rates
may be affected. If the police are right the fact that you filed will
keep you from being persued by them.

Or talk to your city DA its free . You dont need to pay for legal
advise, it is there, The DAs office will be interested in uninsured
unlisenced contractors as that is a crime. The DA will probably direct
you best, so you can beat him to the correct course of action and your
protection.

Artist

Yes I did four days after trying to get him to view that damages or send out
his insurance agent.

His chimney work fine and the red-tag placed on it by the gas company has
been removed. But living my house in that state makes this a civil matter,
not criminal. I believe I can prove to the Judge that it was his workmanship
that made me stop payment along with other issues previously mentioned here.

k.net...

Artist wrote:
I was wondering about that, my township should have a DA. I really am
concerned with the summons the Police will issue me, they said it is
criminal.

You keep mentioning your fear and that you're nearing the 10 days you
have to pay or something. But this is what you said in your first post:

"The officer state I must pay the contractor in 10 day after I receive
his
certified letter requesting payment or I will have to go to court for a
criminal offense."

Do you still believe this to be the case, and have you received the
letter?

%mod%

Artist

Yes, I picked up the certified letter yesterday afternoon, the clock started
ticking yesterday.
The police officer confirmed this yesterday when I spoke to then.

wrote in message
ups.com...

Artist wrote:
I was wondering about that, my township should have a DA. I really am
concerned with the summons the Police will issue me, they said it is
criminal.

You keep mentioning your fear and that you're nearing the 10 days you
have to pay or something. But this is what you said in your first post:

"The officer state I must pay the contractor in 10 day after I receive
his
certified letter requesting payment or I will have to go to court for a
criminal offense."

Do you still believe this to be the case, and have you received the
letter?

%mod%

m Ransley

As I said I have used Stop Pay 3 times recently on crooked hacks.
As long as you had the intention of paying for a good job [ and you
did pay ] and HAD the funds in your account and, Can , and will have
to prove it , it is not a bad check. If it was a deception-bad check ,
here he could sue for 3 times the amount + court costs. But that
obviously isn`t the case for you. It is his failure to provide cleanup
or his insurance co. name that is your issue.

Did he advertise or state verbaly or in writing he has insurance ?
or a lisence ? or bond?

Next time, you get the insurers name and a cert of insurance before
any work starts on anything. Hacks lie.

If you are worried call the police today and explain everything,
you will feel better.

Also it is advisable to go to your courthouse and check suits on
file for whatever you do next, I learned the hard way.. The last guy I
hired looses 3-4 cases a year, and spends a few months in jail a year
from not re-paying people he has ripped off. Cal the police, talk to
an officer, you will sleep better with them knowing the facts.

m Ransley

I think it is Civil, not criminal, As you paid and had the money in
Your account . So call the friendly folks at your local police station
and get The Facts. Now If you didnt have the $$ in you account he has a
Good case for 3x plus court costs

Artist

Dear m Ranselry,
You are right in your statement. The funds are there. I will be trying to
make an appoint with the DA.
Very excellent advice, Thanks,
Artist

"m Ransley" wrote in message
I think it is Civil, not criminal, As you paid and had the money in
Your account . So call the friendly folks at your local police station
and get The Facts. Now If you didnt have the $$ in you account he has a
Good case for 3x plus court costs

Travis Jordan

ZsaZsa wrote:
I'm surprised the bank allowed it, actually. They usually ask the
reason, and if it's because you are disgruntled, they won't do it.
Not in my experience anyway.

They don't have the right to ask why you want it stopped. It is YOUR
check, YOUR account and YOU decide whether you want it to be honored, or
not.

m Ransley

No Zsa Zsa I can stop a check on you anytime if I have reason of
Fruad, If you didnt do as you contracted or screwed me.

Spend time in court you will loose

Artist

I have stated to the contractor when he was at my door step that it have no
problem paying him after I receive the certificate of insurance. I also sent
this request to him in a certified letter. He has certified me a letter
stating this is a "bad check." I have read the NJ subsection on a bad check
(the contractor mailed a copy of it to me).

Written as follows:
"2C:21-5. Bad Check. A person who issues or passes a check or similar sight
order for the payment of money, knowing that it will not be honored by the
deawee, commits an offense as. ....for theft committed by means of a bad
check, an issuer is presumed to know that the check or money order would not
be paid, if:
a) no account
b) lack of funds
c)an offense under this section:
3) a crime of the fourth degree if the check or money order is $200.00
or more but less then $1,000."

In reading this I think it is because the amount was $600.00. I had no
intention to cancel the check even after the damage happened. It was only
after he missed the appointment and didn't return my calls I placed a stop
payment. I still will make good on the fee once the insurance information
has been received.

"m Ransley" wrote in message
[...]

Greg O

"Artist" wrote in message
thank you for adding humor...
I just came back form the police officer...he said it's criminal not to
pay
the contractor is 10 day of receiving a certified letter asking for
payment.
The officer will summons me to court to pay him for work done in my home.
have no recourse but to pay him. Then go after him through Superior County
Court with a civil suet.

Why is this your problem????
You turned it over to your insurance company, let them deal with it!
Pay the contractor, and let it go. Crap like this is why you pay your
insurance premiums. When it is all over you may be out the deductible on
your insurance. Then sue the contractor for the deduct and expenses!
Greg

m Ransley

Relax , wake up, you just showed A con his con . Monday make your
calls

Id eat him alive with what I know, for breakfast.

Artist

Good point. But the contractor is filling a summon against me for a "Bad
Check" and not paying the contractor for services rendered. My insurance
company can not help me here.

I wish it was that simple.
Artist
"Greg O" wrote in message

"Artist" wrote in message
thank you for adding humor...
I just came back form the police officer...he said it's criminal not to
pay
the contractor is 10 day of receiving a certified letter asking for
payment.
The officer will summons me to court to pay him for work done in my

home.
have no recourse but to pay him. Then go after him through Superior

County
Court with a civil suet.

Why is this your problem????
You turned it over to your insurance company, let them deal with it!
Pay the contractor, and let it go. Crap like this is why you pay your
insurance premiums. When it is all over you may be out the deductible on
your insurance. Then sue the contractor for the deduct and expenses!
Greg

Artist

lol..thank you for the humor...much needed and appreciated.

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Relax , wake up, you just showed A con his con . Monday make your
calls

Id eat him alive with what I know, for breakfast.

Artist

The contractor made it more complicated.

He is threatened me at my door. Involved the police by threatening to issue
a criminal summons in 10 days after a certified letter stating I issued a
"Bad Check." And finally, not issuing to me his companies certificate of
insurance.

I have files formal complaints with the BBB and NJ Consumer Affairs. I will
be going to my townships DA to find out if I'm wrong for "stop payment" due
to non-communication, threats, and not issuing the insurance information. I
will obtain the police report. I have already made an appointment with the
Building Department in reference to the permits not being obtained by the
contractor. And I will contact state licensing board to see if he is
licensed. But it appears for home improvement in the state of NJ they
contractors don't have to file for it till Dec. 05. I have left messages
with the Health and Safety Div. of my county to see if any health violation
happened for releasing any hazardous toxic airborne particles into my home.

Trying to correct the situation and protect myself from this contractor. I
have received much of this advice from the Usernets I posted my questions
on.

I wish it was that simple now.

"Greg O" wrote in message

"Artist" wrote in message
Good point. But the contractor is filling a summon against me for a "Bad
Check" and not paying the contractor for services rendered. My insurance
company can not help me here.

You missed the part about paying him.
I see it as two different issues,

1. He put in a chimney liner, it works, job done. Pay him for his work.

2. He trashed your home in the process. Turn it over your insurance

company,
let them deal with it, or sue the contractor.

Greg

JerryMouse

Ed wrote:
"Artist" wrote

Jeff
Garden State Chimney
P.O. Box, 293
Oaklyn, NJ 08107
He is listed in the Camden County Yellow Pages.

Do not use him..please!

Artist, that company could sue you for posting that name and address
and might even win. All they need to do is show a drop off in work
and say your post was the cause. Please, be careful. I know you're
angry but don't make it worse. If they did sue you you would lose
even if you won because the legal expenses could be quite high. A
word to the wise.

They could sue. They would not win. Truth is an absolute defense to libel.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Artist" wrote in message
[...]

But, from what I interpret, you did not issue a bad check. It was good when
issued, but stopped for cause. I'm not a lawyer, but I'd argue that one in
court. You had an account, you had proper funds.

Art

Indeed that is your problem. I would talk to an attorney before doing
anything else. I doubt the job was performed properly since he was clearly
incompetent so I would talk to an attorney before doing anything else. You
also might check with the court system to see if they have a place to put
money in issue in a stop payment case like this to show good faith.

"Artist" wrote in message
Yes I did four days after trying to get him to view that damages or send
out
his insurance agent.

His chimney work fine and the red-tag placed on it by the gas company has
been removed. But living my house in that state makes this a civil matter,
not criminal. I believe I can prove to the Judge that it was his
workmanship
that made me stop payment along with other issues previously mentioned
here.

k.net...

"Artist" wrote in message
[...]

m Ransley

Did you sign a contract, did it state "work is to be completed in a
Professional matter "
Well it wasn`t , Quit your worring , Im a Pro and have hired and Stop
Payed on your type of hacks. Blow fire at fire , He`s a con

Chuck

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 22:32:05 GMT, "ZsaZsa"
wrote:

I agree with zsazsa...
I have found in the past that the police do not always know the law...
They SHOULD.. but don't..
Chuck
Chuck

"m Ransley" wrote in message
[...]

Some people are slamming you for discussing this on here instead of
going to lawyer first. (You do need to see the lawyer SOON)

In dealing with lawyers (for estate matters) ... I have found that
doing as much leg work for them will save you tons.

Any suggestions you get from here or ideas you came up with on your
own concerning getting documentation that he doesn't have insurance,
not licensed, BBB complaint record, don't forget to take your bank
statement showing that you had funds to cover the check when you
uttered it.. and handing this stuff to lawyer in orderly fashion will
save you some money.
A lawyer having a para-legal (spell check) make a simple call to govt
office to request a form or document, can cost $50 - $100 per shot..

Asking for advice here,, is a GREAT way to have your "ducks in a row"
prior to seeing the lawyer... but it is not a replacement for it.
Chuck

Does an exiting chimney require a flue liner? Hamish Marson UK diy 17 November 24th 05 10:42 AM
Chimney Liner DSegal1027 Home Repair 0 January 21st 05 02:39 AM
Chimney Liner DSegal1027 Home Repair 1 January 19th 05 03:26 AM
Chimney liner advice Mike A UK diy 3 April 4th 04 08:35 AM
Your changing tax life: Owning a home Ablang Home Ownership 0 February 9th 04 01:59 AM