workinprogress

Default Is This The Best Electrical Code Book To Have?

I'm planning on doing some electrical work and I want to make sure it will
be up to code. Is this book sufficient, or should I buy the "full" code
book?

Things I want to do a

- add a junction box in the ceiling of my utility room (for a ceiling light)

- add a breaker to serve a new outlet for a "space saver" microwave above
the stove.

I'm fairly new to this. I have put in two hardwired undercabinet light
fixtures as well as the basic stuff like installing ceiling fans and light
fixtures to existing junction boxes. Would this be a good book for someone
like me to reference and make sure that everything is 1.) Safe and 2.)
Passes inspection for selling the house?

Matt

Sam,

No offense, but the book is probably over your head. The terms used in
it, etc, can be confusing to even the most experienced master
electrician; I doubt you will find a single thing in it that will help
you accomplish your goals. Also, the NEC won't list any variations your
locality may enforce.

As you are going to be opening your panel, I'd recc you get a different
type book.... time/life makes some good ones.

If you are worried about passing code, which is a good worry to have,
call the codes dept after you do the work to have someone come check it
out.

Andy Hill

"workinprogress" wrote:

I'm planning on doing some electrical work and I want to make sure it will
be up to code. Is this book sufficient, or should I buy the "full" code
book?

Things I want to do a

- add a junction box in the ceiling of my utility room (for a ceiling light)

- add a breaker to serve a new outlet for a "space saver" microwave above
the stove.

I'm fairly new to this. I have put in two hardwired undercabinet light
fixtures as well as the basic stuff like installing ceiling fans and light
fixtures to existing junction boxes. Would this be a good book for someone
like me to reference and make sure that everything is 1.) Safe and 2.)
Passes inspection for selling the house?

For actually code stuff, I'd prefer
.. It's very short-handy, 'tho -- won't help you if you're looking for a
"how-to" book. Neither one of things you list are particularly difficult to
get right, code-wise, so it should be plenty. Frankly, knowing that you want a
separate breaker for the built-in microwave doing better than most.

RBM

I agree completely with Matt. You want a book that talks in simple, easy to
follow terms, not a code or code translation book and then try to find
someone in the business to take a look at what you do. I am a licensed
"master" electrician in NY and every three years or so when the NEC puts out
a new code book ,I have to buy a book to explain the changes. Believe me,
it's not made for normal people to understand "Matt"
wrote in message
oups.com...
Sam,

No offense, but the book is probably over your head. The terms used in
it, etc, can be confusing to even the most experienced master
electrician; I doubt you will find a single thing in it that will help
you accomplish your goals. Also, the NEC won't list any variations your
locality may enforce.

As you are going to be opening your panel, I'd recc you get a different
type book.... time/life makes some good ones.

If you are worried about passing code, which is a good worry to have,
call the codes dept after you do the work to have someone come check it
out.

Colbyt

"workinprogress" wrote in message

I'm planning on doing some electrical work and I want to make sure it will
be up to code. Is this book sufficient, or should I buy the "full" code
book?

Things I want to do a

- add a junction box in the ceiling of my utility room (for a ceiling

light)

- add a breaker to serve a new outlet for a "space saver" microwave above
the stove.

I'm fairly new to this. I have put in two hardwired undercabinet light
fixtures as well as the basic stuff like installing ceiling fans and light
fixtures to existing junction boxes. Would this be a good book for

someone
like me to reference and make sure that everything is 1.) Safe and 2.)
Passes inspection for selling the house?

The "code" books confuse experienced electricians. You will get far benifit
and understanding from a book like this:

I have an older edition that has answered evry residential question I ever
needed an answer to.

Colbyt

George E. Cawthon

Andy Hill wrote:
"workinprogress" wrote:

[...]

I can see why you might want a separate breaker for a
built-in microwave? But does the code require it? Counter
top units just plug into whatever outlet is available along
with the toaster, the undercounter light telephone,
toothbrush charger, electric knife, electric whatever.
workinprogress

news

"Colbyt" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks to everyone for that tip, much appreciated. "Wiring Simplified"
sounds like what I need.

Colbyt

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
Andy Hill wrote:
"workinprogress" wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...073062/sr%3D11

-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/104-4838680-4911915

[...]

Common sense requires it. Most countertop units sold today use far less
current than a built in. I just checked the plate on mine. It pulls 13
amps. That doesn't leave a lot of capacity on a 20 amp circuit when you
figure sustained pull at 16 amps (80% of 20).

Colbyt

Mr Fixit eh

While you're waiting eagerly for the book, checkout this site:
http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/

Mr Fixit eh

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
"Colbyt" wrote in message

[...]

Ron's right about Colbyt being right! tom
__________________
Work at your leisure!
George E. Cawthon

Andy Hill wrote:

"workinprogress" wrote:

[...]

I don't think there is a difference in built in and counter
top. If anything built in units are usually smaller. 1500
watts is about as large as a common unit gets and that is
the size of my counter top unit. But there are lots of 1200
and 1000 watt units also and judging by the models
available, the trend in power has been downward.
Rob Jones

Although having the complete code available is good, I would suggest
you start out with these two titles:

a. Black & Decker's "The Complete Guide to Home Wiring" - ISBN
086573429.

b. Practical Electrical Wiring, by Hartwell and Richter - ISBN
0960329498.

My experience in performing my own electrical modifications at home
has been that the hardest part is running wires / romex inside of an
existing structure and NOT understanding what is code compliant. I am
a stickler for a professional looking job, which means I don't run
conduit on the outside of my home, nor do I run wires inside of
Wiremold or some other visible wiring crutch. I do all my work inside
of drywall or the attic (or underground) which adds tremendously to
the time/effort required, but the job always looks great. From your
description of your first two jobs, I'd say you'll be dealing with
these issues also. Be prepared to learn more than just electrical
stuff. However, it's VERY satisfying to see the finished job and know
that you did it yourself, and you probably did a good a job (or
sometimes better!) as many professionals do.

rob

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:23:39 GMT, "workinprogress" wrote:

I'm planning on doing some electrical work and I want to make sure it will
be up to code. Is this book sufficient, or should I buy the "full" code
book?

Things I want to do a

- add a junction box in the ceiling of my utility room (for a ceiling light)

- add a breaker to serve a new outlet for a "space saver" microwave above
the stove.

I'm fairly new to this. I have put in two hardwired undercabinet light
fixtures as well as the basic stuff like installing ceiling fans and light
fixtures to existing junction boxes. Would this be a good book for someone
like me to reference and make sure that everything is 1.) Safe and 2.)
Passes inspection for selling the house?

chocolatemalt

In article 1108414942.113d416fb23ed08596c7461fbe18d143@teran ews,
Rob Jones wrote:

[...]

As a middle-tier amateur, I will also vouch for "Practical Electrical
Wiring" as a better book than most of the others. It actually explains
the reasons for the Code, giving plenty of examples of fires and shocks
(and, beyond the anecdotes, insurance industry statistics) and will turn
you into a believer. It's much nicer to understand the rules and follow
them for a reason rather than grouching about them when they seem to
make no sense. This is not a short read, but certainly worth the time.

While less complete, I also like Rex Cauldwell's "Wiring a House". It
has tons of practical advice. The pictures he supplies of real
encounters with horrible work (e.g. fully energized water pipes) is
quite memorable.

HTH...

--
Steve Kives -- Unix sysadmin/netadmin -- Denver, CO
Forward and fiaka, Manacle an den gosaka