chocolatemalt

In article 1108414942.113d416fb23ed08596c7461fbe18d143@teran ews,
Rob Jones wrote:

Although having the complete code available is good, I would suggest
you start out with these two titles:

a. Black & Decker's "The Complete Guide to Home Wiring" - ISBN
086573429.

b. Practical Electrical Wiring, by Hartwell and Richter - ISBN
0960329498.

My experience in performing my own electrical modifications at home
has been that the hardest part is running wires / romex inside of an
existing structure and NOT understanding what is code compliant. I am
a stickler for a professional looking job, which means I don't run
conduit on the outside of my home, nor do I run wires inside of
Wiremold or some other visible wiring crutch. I do all my work inside
of drywall or the attic (or underground) which adds tremendously to
the time/effort required, but the job always looks great. From your
description of your first two jobs, I'd say you'll be dealing with
these issues also. Be prepared to learn more than just electrical
stuff. However, it's VERY satisfying to see the finished job and know
that you did it yourself, and you probably did a good a job (or
sometimes better!) as many professionals do.

rob

As a middle-tier amateur, I will also vouch for "Practical Electrical
Wiring" as a better book than most of the others. It actually explains
the reasons for the Code, giving plenty of examples of fires and shocks
(and, beyond the anecdotes, insurance industry statistics) and will turn
you into a believer. It's much nicer to understand the rules and follow
them for a reason rather than grouching about them when they seem to
make no sense. This is not a short read, but certainly worth the time.

While less complete, I also like Rex Cauldwell's "Wiring a House". It
has tons of practical advice. The pictures he supplies of real
encounters with horrible work (e.g. fully energized water pipes) is
quite memorable.

HTH...

--
Steve Kives -- Unix sysadmin/netadmin -- Denver, CO
Forward and fiaka, Manacle an den gosaka