George E. Cawthon

Colbyt wrote:
"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

Andy Hill wrote:

"workinprogress" wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...073062/sr%3D11

-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/104-4838680-4911915

I'm planning on doing some electrical work and I want to make sure it

will

be up to code. Is this book sufficient, or should I buy the "full" code
book?

Things I want to do a

- add a junction box in the ceiling of my utility room (for a ceiling

light)

- add a breaker to serve a new outlet for a "space saver" microwave

above

the stove.

I'm fairly new to this. I have put in two hardwired undercabinet light
fixtures as well as the basic stuff like installing ceiling fans and

light

fixtures to existing junction boxes. Would this be a good book for

someone

like me to reference and make sure that everything is 1.) Safe and 2.)
Passes inspection for selling the house?

For actually code stuff, I'd prefer

. It's very short-handy, 'tho -- won't help you if you're looking for a
"how-to" book. Neither one of things you list are particularly

difficult to

get right, code-wise, so it should be plenty. Frankly, knowing that

you want a

separate breaker for the built-in microwave doing better than most.

I can see why you might want a separate breaker for a
built-in microwave? But does the code require it? Counter
top units just plug into whatever outlet is available along
with the toaster, the undercounter light telephone,
toothbrush charger, electric knife, electric whatever.

Common sense requires it. Most countertop units sold today use far less
current than a built in. I just checked the plate on mine. It pulls 13
amps. That doesn't leave a lot of capacity on a 20 amp circuit when you
figure sustained pull at 16 amps (80% of 20).

Colbyt

I don't think there is a difference in built in and counter
top. If anything built in units are usually smaller. 1500
watts is about as large as a common unit gets and that is
the size of my counter top unit. But there are lots of 1200
and 1000 watt units also and judging by the models
available, the trend in power has been downward.