Andrew Sarangan

Default Cutting cast iron bath tub with circular saw

Is it possible to cut a cast iron bathtub with a circular saw? I bought the
metal cutting abrasive blades, but it is eating up the blade faster than
the bathtub. Ended up with a heap of black dust from the blade, but only a
small dent in the bath tub. The cut is getting red hot, and sparks are
flying. At this rate, it will take me days to get through. I am wondering
if there is an easier way. I can't use a sledge hammer as there isn't much
room for swing. Perhaps a different kind of blade? Any ideas are
appreciated. Thanks!

zxcvbob

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
Is it possible to cut a cast iron bathtub with a circular saw? I bought the
metal cutting abrasive blades, but it is eating up the blade faster than
the bathtub. Ended up with a heap of black dust from the blade, but only a
small dent in the bath tub. The cut is getting red hot, and sparks are
flying. At this rate, it will take me days to get through. I am wondering
if there is an easier way. I can't use a sledge hammer as there isn't much
room for swing. Perhaps a different kind of blade? Any ideas are
appreciated. Thanks!

If you can't use a sledgehammer, use a pneumatic hammer or an electric
jackhammer.

BTW, you would need a masonary blade rather than a metal-cutting blade
to get through the porcelain.

Bob
Punch

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
1...

Is it possible to cut a cast iron bathtub with a circular saw? I bought
the
metal cutting abrasive blades, but it is eating up the blade faster than
the bathtub. Ended up with a heap of black dust from the blade, but only a
small dent in the bath tub. The cut is getting red hot, and sparks are
flying. At this rate, it will take me days to get through. I am wondering
if there is an easier way. I can't use a sledge hammer as there isn't much
room for swing. Perhaps a different kind of blade? Any ideas are
appreciated. Thanks!

flip tub upside down, stand on it swing sledge!

toller

I have no advice, but I wish you well.
I helped carry a bath tube down a flight of stairs a couple years ago, and
that can't be right. Once we got it outside, we tried breaking it up with a
sledgehammer, but nothing happened.

dadiOH

toller wrote:
I have no advice, but I wish you well.
I helped carry a bath tube down a flight of stairs a couple years
ago, and that can't be right. Once we got it outside, we tried
breaking it up with a sledgehammer, but nothing happened.

They *do* make steel tubs as well as cast iron

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Michael Baugh

Wrong tools.
Use a pick!!!
Sort of thing for miners breaking rock.

Someone at Home Depot told me how you just couldn't
break up one of those old tubs, I brought him a square
of it in my back pocket. Took less than an hour to have
that tub reduced to pieces that could fit into a bucket.

"Punch" wrote in message

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
1...

Is it possible to cut a cast iron bathtub with a circular saw? I bought
the
metal cutting abrasive blades, but it is eating up the blade faster than
the bathtub. Ended up with a heap of black dust from the blade, but only

small dent in the bath tub. The cut is getting red hot, and sparks are
flying. At this rate, it will take me days to get through. I am

wondering
if there is an easier way. I can't use a sledge hammer as there isn't

much
room for swing. Perhaps a different kind of blade? Any ideas are
appreciated. Thanks!

flip tub upside down, stand on it swing sledge!

John Harlow

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
Is it possible to cut a cast iron bathtub with a circular saw? I

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/99/991129h.cfm

Drifter

On 30 Jan 2005 13:41:17 -0600, Andrew Sarangan
wrote:

Is it possible to cut a cast iron bathtub with a circular saw? I bought the
metal cutting abrasive blades, but it is eating up the blade faster than
the bathtub. Ended up with a heap of black dust from the blade, but only a
small dent in the bath tub. The cut is getting red hot, and sparks are
flying. At this rate, it will take me days to get through. I am wondering
if there is an easier way. I can't use a sledge hammer as there isn't much
room for swing. Perhaps a different kind of blade? Any ideas are
appreciated. Thanks!

If you had some way to avoid burning down your house, a cutting torch
works well.

Also sharp items like a pick axe will punch through most times and
once the metal starts to fracture it will usually cause a chain
reaction so you can smash the rest up with a sledge hammer.

However, sometimes you get one of those extra tough old @#$@@'s and
nothing works.

Good luck.

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."
DanG

If the water closet is in your way, remove it. You will need the
space to maneuver any way, no matter what kind of tub it is. Put
an old blanket or heavy visqueen over the tub to catch shrapnel.
Swing a big hammer. If it dents like a car rather than
shattering, it is a steel tub.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
1...

Is it possible to cut a cast iron bathtub with a circular saw? I
bought the
metal cutting abrasive blades, but it is eating up the blade
faster than
the bathtub. Ended up with a heap of black dust from the blade,
but only a
small dent in the bath tub. The cut is getting red hot, and
sparks are
flying. At this rate, it will take me days to get through. I am
wondering
if there is an easier way. I can't use a sledge hammer as there
isn't much
room for swing. Perhaps a different kind of blade? Any ideas are
appreciated. Thanks!

ameijers

"Drifter" wrote in message
On 30 Jan 2005 13:41:17 -0600, Andrew Sarangan
wrote:

(snip)

If you had some way to avoid burning down your house, a cutting torch
works well.

Also sharp items like a pick axe will punch through most times and
once the metal starts to fracture it will usually cause a chain
reaction so you can smash the rest up with a sledge hammer.

However, sometimes you get one of those extra tough old @#$@@'s and
nothing works.

Liquid nitrogen? Pour it full, throw a blanket over the top, and let it sit
a few minutes, then hit it with the BFH?

aem sends, tongue firmly in cheek....

Harry K

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
Is it possible to cut a cast iron bathtub with a circular saw? I

bought the
metal cutting abrasive blades, but it is eating up the blade faster

than
the bathtub. Ended up with a heap of black dust from the blade, but

only a
small dent in the bath tub. The cut is getting red hot, and sparks

are
flying. At this rate, it will take me days to get through. I am

wondering
if there is an easier way. I can't use a sledge hammer as there isn't

much
room for swing. Perhaps a different kind of blade? Any ideas are
appreciated. Thanks!

Must be one strange tub. There is plenty of room to swing a pick or
sledge inside the tub. It shouldn't take a round-house swing,
especially with a pick, to start it cracking. Cast iron is brittle and
once you start a crack it breaks up fast. You should drape it with a
blanket tho.

Harry K

toller

"dadiOH" wrote in message
toller wrote:
I have no advice, but I wish you well.
I helped carry a bath tube down a flight of stairs a couple years
ago, and that can't be right. Once we got it outside, we tried
breaking it up with a sledgehammer, but nothing happened.

They *do* make steel tubs as well as cast iron

Is steel as heavy as cast iron?

Fake name goes here

I broke up a cast iron tub with a sledge before...20 minutes and it was
in little pieces. 1000% easier than I thought it would be.
Michael Baugh

I've tried it with both a pick and a sledge.
Had to have more of a swing with a sledge,
so I switched over to a pick.

"Fake name goes here" wrote in message
I broke up a cast iron tub with a sledge before...20 minutes and it was
in little pieces. 1000% easier than I thought it would be.

Mark and Kim Smith

Andrew Sarangan wrote:

Is it possible to cut a cast iron bathtub with a circular saw? I bought the
metal cutting abrasive blades, but it is eating up the blade faster than
the bathtub. Ended up with a heap of black dust from the blade, but only a
small dent in the bath tub. The cut is getting red hot, and sparks are
flying. At this rate, it will take me days to get through. I am wondering
if there is an easier way. I can't use a sledge hammer as there isn't much
room for swing. Perhaps a different kind of blade? Any ideas are
appreciated. Thanks!

Have room to swing a single jack??
Harry K

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
Is it possible to cut a cast iron bathtub with a circular saw? I

bought the
metal cutting abrasive blades, but it is eating up the blade faster

than
the bathtub. Ended up with a heap of black dust from the blade, but

only a
small dent in the bath tub. The cut is getting red hot, and sparks

are
flying. At this rate, it will take me days to get through. I am

wondering
if there is an easier way. I can't use a sledge hammer as there isn't

much
room for swing. Perhaps a different kind of blade? Any ideas are
appreciated. Thanks!

I missed it too. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES no matter how you finally do it.
I am wearing an artificial lens now because I didn't while doing
nothing more than driving a nail (mis strike).

Harry K

George

"Michael Baugh" wrote in message
Wrong tools.
Use a pick!!!
Sort of thing for miners breaking rock.

Someone at Home Depot told me how you just couldn't
break up one of those old tubs, I brought him a square
of it in my back pocket. Took less than an hour to have
that tub reduced to pieces that could fit into a bucket.

The kind of answer you might expect from one of their "experts".

I worked my way thru school working for a plumbing company. I never saw a
cast iron tub that wouldn't break up after a few good blows.

Andrew Sarangan

hi guys

I bought a pick axe as suggested by some people here, covered the bathtub
with a tarp, and tried to break it. No joy. Every time I banged it, the
porcelain broke off, but there was no sign of damage to the metal
underneath. What am I doing wrong? Am I not hitting it hard enough?

Harry K

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
hi guys

I bought a pick axe as suggested by some people here, covered the

bathtub
with a tarp, and tried to break it. No joy. Every time I banged it,

the
porcelain broke off, but there was no sign of damage to the metal
underneath. What am I doing wrong? Am I not hitting it hard enough?

Repeated blows to the same spot is the answer. I wouldn't think that
excessive power will accomplish much but gentle tapping won't either.

Harry K

dadiOH

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
hi guys

I bought a pick axe as suggested by some people here, covered the
bathtub with a tarp, and tried to break it. No joy. Every time I
banged it, the porcelain broke off, but there was no sign of damage
to the metal underneath. What am I doing wrong? Am I not hitting it
hard enough?

Did it dent at all? If so, the tub is steel, not cast iron. Cast iron
breaks, steel won't.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

dadiOH wrote:
Andrew Sarangan wrote:
hi guys

I bought a pick axe as suggested by some people here, covered the
bathtub with a tarp, and tried to break it. No joy. Every time I
banged it, the porcelain broke off, but there was no sign of damage
to the metal underneath. What am I doing wrong? Am I not hitting it
hard enough?

Did it dent at all? If so, the tub is steel, not cast iron. Cast

iron
breaks, steel won't.

It did not dent, but there were small chips were it was struck. I
didn't feel that those chips were large enough to cause a crack.

Can I tell from the color whether it is steel? It is a dull grey metal.

Also, I did manage to cut tub using a metal cutting circular saw. I did
not get very far, but it did no feel like steel to me.

Andrew Sarangan

I don't know what you guys are talking about. I whacked it with a pick
axe. Many blows at maximum strength. It made several small dents on the
surface, and even made a through hole about 1/4" diameter. But no major
cracks. The only thing that broke was the tip of my pick axe. I am
pretty certain that this is not a steel tub. I am hitting it along the
outside surface, which allows me to get a full swing on the axe. I can't
hit it from the inside surface bacause I can't get a full swing inside
the bathtub. Obviously I am doing something wrong, but I can't figure
out what.

"DanG" wrote in news:_w6Nd.934$Zr.354@okepread03:

It is still sounding like a cast iron tub. A full swing on the
outside of the tub with an eight pound or greater sledge hammer
should shatter it. This thing is going to break more like a piece
of glass than a piece of concrete. It is not going to develop
little cracks that you keep hitting. Same stuff as a cast iron
skillet.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
oups.com...

dadiOH wrote:
Andrew Sarangan wrote:
[...]

Michael Baugh

Let's clarify here. A pick like I used is an old one, quite heavy,
and has a pointed end on one side, a chisel tip on the other.
Mine weighs about 12 pounds without the handle.

It is NOT a pick axe, which is like the tool firemen use.

A SERIOUS pick would not have been able to have its
point bent by what you were doing.

[...]

wrote in message
oups.com...

dadiOH wrote:
Andrew Sarangan wrote:
[...]

Mikey S.

it sounds like you have a steel tub, since it dented rather than shattered

--

Mikey S.
http://www.mike721.com

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
1...

I don't know what you guys are talking about. I whacked it with a pick
axe. Many blows at maximum strength. It made several small dents on the
surface, and even made a through hole about 1/4" diameter. But no major
cracks. The only thing that broke was the tip of my pick axe. I am
pretty certain that this is not a steel tub.

OK, thanks. I used a bigger sledge hammer and got some pieces to come
off. But I am surprised by the large amount of force required. I am
still puzzled how I am going to break the bottom of the bathtub. If I
pound on it vertically, I am afraid I might break the floor underneath
it. I don't want the whole house collapsing around me :-) Any ideas?

Michael Baugh wrote:
[...]

wrote in message
oups.com...

dadiOH wrote:
Andrew Sarangan wrote:
[...]

Andrew Sarangan

Thanks everyone for your help. The trick was to use an 8lb sledge
hammer. I am sure a heavy pick axe would have worked too. I was using a
much lighter tool. It took about 30 minutes to reduce the bathtub to
pieces. It was definitely cast iron, no doubts about it. Now I have to
deal with how to get rid of the pieces.

Next problem is how to move the new bathtub into place. The wall-to-wall
spacing is 60", just the width of the new bathtub. How do I maneuver the
tab into place? I was thinking of tilting it against the wall and
lowering it into place. But then it occured to me that the tilted length
will be longer than 60" if it is a square bottom. If it is a tapered
bottom, then it may be ok. Any ideas?

"Michael Baugh" wrote in news:sKaNd.17114
:

[...]

wrote in message
oups.com...

dadiOH wrote:
Andrew Sarangan wrote:
[...]

ameijers

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
1...
Thanks everyone for your help. The trick was to use an 8lb sledge
hammer. I am sure a heavy pick axe would have worked too. I was using a
much lighter tool. It took about 30 minutes to reduce the bathtub to
pieces. It was definitely cast iron, no doubts about it. Now I have to
deal with how to get rid of the pieces.

Next problem is how to move the new bathtub into place. The wall-to-wall
spacing is 60", just the width of the new bathtub. How do I maneuver the
tab into place? I was thinking of tilting it against the wall and
lowering it into place. But then it occured to me that the tilted length
will be longer than 60" if it is a square bottom. If it is a tapered
bottom, then it may be ok. Any ideas?

1. Measure the door. In many bathrooms, especially older ones, door is too
narrow to get tub in w/o de-installing door all the way to rough opening,
and sometimes even then. Bathroom is built around tub, often including
having to pull a couple studs during framing to make a hole big enough. And
if you have a skinny hallway or stairs, they can also be roadblocks.

2. Look at tub out in the garage or driveway, and figure out where the
'legs' are that hold the weight. There may be a template on the box it came
in. Now go look at the gaping hole in bathroom, and figure out where the
weight is going to rest. Is it solid (right over a joist), or is it just
plywood, or even a hole there? Add blocking, etc, as appropriate. At the
same time, double check to make sure the drain stub and such are in the
right place. (it would really suck to drop tub in, and drain is an inch
off...) Tub needs a strong and level place to sit. Is new tub cast iron? If
not, it may need a puddle of mortar or something to bed in, to feel solid.
The box should say.

3. With some tubs, you can add a 2x2 rail to studs to stiffen the tub flange
and catch some of the weight. Again, it has to be level. Blocking between
studs to catch wall edge, provide something to fasten lip to, and stiffen
wall, is also a good idea. Good time to insulate wall behind tub, for sound
or temp control, especially if it is on an outside wall.

4. As to dropping it in place- you basically want it flat on floor in front
of opening, and slide straight back. Maybe pick up on back edge a little,
to drop it tight against wall. This is one of those things that there is no
easy way to do it, especially if it is heavy cast iron. Even with steel or
plastic, a lot easier with 2 big strong guys with long arms. Go slow and
discuss each move- don't want fingers beween tub and a hard place.

5. Be careful not to chip it as you place it or fasten it to wall, and use
the cardboard cutout on box to make protective shield for flange and tub
bottom. If you drop wrench or whatever later, and it chips the porcelain,
you will cuss and cry.

HTH.

aem sends....

dadiOH

Andrew Sarangan wrote:

Next problem is how to move the new bathtub into place. The
wall-to-wall spacing is 60", just the width of the new bathtub. How
do I maneuver the tab into place? I was thinking of tilting it
against the wall and lowering it into place. But then it occured to
me that the tilted length will be longer than 60" if it is a square
bottom. If it is a tapered bottom, then it may be ok. Any ideas?

Still another point in favor of showers over tubs.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...