OK, thanks. I used a bigger sledge hammer and got some pieces to come
off. But I am surprised by the large amount of force required. I am
still puzzled how I am going to break the bottom of the bathtub. If I
pound on it vertically, I am afraid I might break the floor underneath
it. I don't want the whole house collapsing around me :-) Any ideas?

Michael Baugh wrote:
Let's clarify here. A pick like I used is an old one, quite heavy,
and has a pointed end on one side, a chisel tip on the other.
Mine weighs about 12 pounds without the handle.

It is NOT a pick axe, which is like the tool firemen use.

A SERIOUS pick would not have been able to have its
point bent by what you were doing.

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
1...

I don't know what you guys are talking about. I whacked it with a

pick
axe. Many blows at maximum strength. It made several small dents on

the
surface, and even made a through hole about 1/4" diameter. But no

major
cracks. The only thing that broke was the tip of my pick axe. I am
pretty certain that this is not a steel tub. I am hitting it along

the
outside surface, which allows me to get a full swing on the axe. I

can't
hit it from the inside surface bacause I can't get a full swing

inside
the bathtub. Obviously I am doing something wrong, but I can't

figure
out what.

"DanG" wrote in

It is still sounding like a cast iron tub. A full swing on the
outside of the tub with an eight pound or greater sledge hammer
should shatter it. This thing is going to break more like a

piece
of glass than a piece of concrete. It is not going to develop
little cracks that you keep hitting. Same stuff as a cast iron
skillet.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
oups.com...

dadiOH wrote:
Andrew Sarangan wrote:
hi guys

I bought a pick axe as suggested by some people here, covered
the
bathtub with a tarp, and tried to break it. No joy. Every
time I
banged it, the porcelain broke off, but there was no sign of
damage
to the metal underneath. What am I doing wrong? Am I not
hitting it
hard enough?

Did it dent at all? If so, the tub is steel, not cast iron.
Cast
iron
breaks, steel won't.

It did not dent, but there were small chips were it was struck.
didn't feel that those chips were large enough to cause a crack.

Can I tell from the color whether it is steel? It is a dull grey
metal.

Also, I did manage to cut tub using a metal cutting circular
saw. I did
not get very far, but it did no feel like steel to me.